Engine Testing - 102.0-RC3

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Third Release-candidate for 102.0

Changes since RC2
Several fixes to Camera and pathfinding/collisions.

Major Changes in 102.0
  • Fix & Improve LoS performance
  • Remove LuaModUICtrl config setting
  • Remove ClassicGroundMoveType
  • Remove SpringLobby from spring installer
  • Update model matrices on demand instead of once per frame
Changes in Detail:
changelog.txt
git diff last rc to HEAD

Download
See the download page for how to get it.

Bugs
If you find a bugs, please report to Mantis.
Please attach infolog.txt with your report!

Happy testing! :-)
Last edited by hokomoko on 16 May 2016, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Super Mario

Re: Engine Testing - 102.0-RC3

Post by Super Mario »

This is just a performance and bug fix release correct?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Super Mario wrote:This is just a performance and bug fix release correct?
see changelog.txt
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Since the original RC3 had a severe sync issue I've changed the links to point to a newer version where it is fixed. (101.0.1-367-g9ba9e97)
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

hokomoko wrote:Since the original RC3...
From what I see on mantis now, it looks like that there is major release in front of us. Am I right? I mean shall I pick some latest dev releases for our hosts or shall i expect some version which will be released by engine devs?

If the release is closer than week, I would wait. If not, Ill just take some dev release.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

PepeAmpere wrote: If not, Ill just take some dev release.
I took 101.dev.470, tested it in many single player scenarios and looks fine, no crashes, no performance issues (singleplayer with 2k units)

Some general notions related to last RC1-RC3s
  • airplanes physics was changed a lot, some NOTA airplanes with configs from 9x.x versions of Spring now fly weird. I assume all flight code was simplified to be more robust, there was cleanup once the fuel was removed, right? Related question: :?: Do engine devs have some reference game where the new physics/flight unitDefs interpretation is validated/tested? Or is it part of Spring unit tests?
  • airplanes turning at the edges of map is not consistent with physics on other places, :?: motivation behind this? performance?
  • in dev build i tested (101.470) explosions seems to be more intensive than in RC3 and olders
  • some explosions now throw objects into air (more than before) which i maybe like, just object (e.g. corpse) thrown on place outside of the map will fall at map edge, so map edges can become junkyards after few nukes explosions
  • i know it is shitty report but i observed next thing and it can be inspiration for other testers: if you speed up the game (2x-4x, btw performance cool), you can observe, that sun lightning and related shadows are updated by big steps, not continuously. It happens only 101.470, not in RC3
  • dynamic collision avoidance during CMD.MOVE or handling failing moves (e.g. i would success if position is blocked and im close as most as possible) would need improvement for sure. Units gets blocked a lot and for me its sometimes blackbox which does not look consistent (from AI-making perspective and from models/anims-making perspective)
Except things above, good job, I like the new engine.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

hokomoko wrote:Since the original RC3
Another list of observations (done in s44 and in NOTA as well):
  • There are big problems with units getting stuck because of collisions with features or buildings (e.g. Koch Canyon cactuses, all engine trees on old maps, etc).
  • planes landing is problematic - if unit is not in its flyAlt, it tries to get to flyAlt no matter how close is to the landing position (we addressed that in report: https://trello.com/c/ztuKk27Z/ ) and i think it will deserve mantis one as well, because we think this is an engine issue

Return to “News”