Spring 98.0 released!

Spring 98.0 released!

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
abma
Spring Developer

Spring 98.0 released!

Post by abma »

I'm proud to announce Spring 97 98 which took a very long time because some new features were added and some very bad bugs were fixed. Overall performance should be improved in comparison to spring 96.0. We've switched to SDL2 which allows to switch between windowed and full-screen mode at runtime. Also we have added some nice new features:

More languages supported!
Thanks to utf8 being added to Spring, signs from more languages now display correctly:

Visual profiling and grapher that shows how Spring spends time:
You see that `Frame Grapher` which displays the last half second and its time slices.
green are video frames, red are simframes, blue is swapBuffer (gpu/vsync), pink is lua gc.
to enable, type /debug

KeyChains hotkeys
New hotkey system that allows for chained key presses, by new developer MajBoredom.

spring:// urls
spring can be started to connect to a server without the need of script.txt. see
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31846 for more details.

luasocket default enabled
all tcp connections are allowed as default. This allows an ingame lobby for example.

Thanks to all of them who helped making this release possible! So many people helped in fixing bugs, testing, giving feedback and sent patches! Thanks a lot! This makes this project really fun!

The changelog contains more details.

Please test spring 98.0 as it will be set as default version on lobbyserver on Tuesday, 14. October ~20:00 gmt+1 if no blocking bug is found. 98.0 is default version on lobby server!

Most users won't need a download link, as lobbies can download them automatic. for the completeness:

Download Links
(spring 97.0 was skipped because it contained some major bugs)

meh, better screenshots welcome, its difficult to get nice screenshots at 800x600.

Note: Please report bugs to our bug-tracker, thanks!
smoth

Re: Spring 98.0 released!

Post by smoth »

VERY COOL~! if my project was out I would definitely give you some new ones!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Awesome. Will attempt screenshots later.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Yey, it's been a while since the last release. /wearenotdead
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Spring.AssignPlayerToTeam is still missing from the changelog!

It would make sense to also add the warnings about table creation from Spring.GetUnitCommands without a restriction, since I think basically every game dev who updates will see these messages and wonder what changed. There are some other (minor) breaking changes on http://springrts.com/wiki/EngineChangelogForContentDevs, but probably not changelog-worthy.
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Silentwings wrote:
It would make sense to also add the warnings about table creation from Spring.GetUnitCommands without a restriction, since I think basically every game dev who updates will see these messages and wonder what changed.
I was told that these are already present in 96, maybe maybe they meant 97. By the way, is this the only command producing a warning? I'm sure there are many more similar commands that can be vostly if code is written lazily.
unsynced luarules now recieves all synced luarules callins (could break very lazily coded gadgets, also gadgethandler must be updated or unsynced luarules chatactions will be executed twice)
Doesn't the new spring 98 come with an updated gadgethandler? is it not in basecontent?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Spring.GetUnitCommands warnings ... I was told that these are already present in 96.
You were told wrong. (https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... 57003ec07d)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

abma wrote: Please test spring 98.0 as it will be set as default version on lobbyserver on Tuesday, 14. October ~20:00 gmt+1 if no blocking bug is found.
The fact that there is still a "Default" version, is an indication that there is still a problem. The lobby server should not be declaring versions. The games/hosts should be doing all that.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Forboding Angel wrote:The fact that there is still a "Default" version, is an indication that there is still a problem. The lobby server should not be declaring versions. The games/hosts should be doing all that.
wrong. its just a "mark" which engine version is current stable and _SHOULD_ be used.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

So it isn't dictating to the lobbies anymore what they use? Ok then, a non-issue in that case.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Sl can ignore versions for a long time
albator

Post by albator »

I confirm the loose of performance that googlefrog pointed out. Basically, joning a game I use to be 30fps, now using the same exact config file I am about 11fps.
Hoewever, I play with linux statics and I use to have the same exact problem with linux statics for 96 as well. So I am looking forward for the official update on the ppa so I can play effectively and compare with 96
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

Edit: nevermind, grabbing the fix now, the latest stable git compiles but I tried it with the archive that has the error, you should probably update the links on the front page.

Sadly I ran into some trouble building this on latest 64 bit Ubuntu, fglrx driver:

Code: Select all

[ 87%] Building CXX object rts/builds/legacy/CMakeFiles/engine-legacy.dir/__/__/Rendering/CommandDrawer.cpp.o
/home/user/Downloads/spring_98.0/rts/Rendering/GlobalRendering.cpp: In member function ‘void CGlobalRendering::PostInit()’:
/home/user/Downloads/spring_98.0/rts/Rendering/GlobalRendering.cpp:241:17: error: ‘GL_MAX_UNIFORM_BUFFER_BINDINGS’ was not declared in this scope
   glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_UNIFORM_BUFFER_BINDINGS, &glslMaxUniformBufferBindings);
                 ^
/home/user/Downloads/spring_98.0/rts/Rendering/GlobalRendering.cpp:242:17: error: ‘GL_MAX_UNIFORM_BLOCK_SIZE’ was not declared in this scope
   glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_UNIFORM_BLOCK_SIZE,      &glslMaxUniformBufferSize);
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

If the dev engine was ready to be used with ZK we would already have been using it.
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

Some serious(ly cool) corruption appeared in this version. Manjaro 64 / catalyst 14.9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBYBopDFJzw

edit: why do i need to STILL kill spring after most medium/large games?!?!
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

varikonniemi wrote:Some serious(ly cool) corruption appeared in this version. Manjaro 64 / catalyst 14.9
remove the AtiHacks=0 line in your springsettings.cfg. http://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg#AtiHacks
varikonniemi

Post by varikonniemi »

3DTrees = 0
CamFreeEnabled = 1
CamFreeScrollSpeed = 84
DepthBufferBits = 24
FSAA = 0
Fullscreen = 0
GrassDetail = 0
GroundDetail = 100
HardwareCursor = 1
InputTextGeo = 0.26 0.73 0.02 0.028
LastSelectedMap = Mountain Pass V4
LastSelectedMod = Balanced Annihilation V8.01
LastSelectedScript = Player vs. AI: AAI 0.9
MaxNanoParticles = 2500
MaxParticles = 1000
MinimapOnLeft = 0
SM3ForceFallbackTex = 0
Shadows = 1
ShowFPS = 1
ShowPlayerInfo = 0
SimpleMiniMapColors = 1
SmoothLines = 0
SmoothPoints = 0
UnitIconDist = 10000
VerboseLevel = 0
WindowPosX = 0
WindowPosY = 18
XResolution = 1280
YResolution = 1024
snd_general = 0
snd_volmaster = 8
There is no ati hacks in /home/varikonniemi/.config/spring/springsettings.cfg

edit: atihacks=1 has no effect.

edit2: Using configuration source: "/home/varikonniemi/.config/spring/springsettings.cfg"
Last edited by varikonniemi on 09 Oct 2014, 15:01, edited 2 times in total.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

then check infolog.txt if its really disabled, and if so check other springsettings.cfg locations (shown at the beginning of infolog.txt) for this setting. if this doesn't help, please create a new thread for this in help & bugs: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=11
MetalSucker

Post by MetalSucker »

@varikonniemi, I managed to fix that by removing all config files, starting the Zero-K lobby, starting a game there (it writes a config file) and then stop it and you can try it with the new engine with the same config file, the corruption was gone. 64 bit ati linux here too.

Code: Select all

BuildWarnings = 0
BumpWaterDepthBits = 16
BumpWaterReflection = 0
BumpWaterRefraction = 0
BumpWaterShoreWaves = 0
BumpWaterTexSizeReflection = 128
CamMode = 1
CamTimeExponent = 4.0
CamTimeFactor = 1.0
CompressTextures = 1
CubeTexSpecularExponent = 100