Spring 93.1 / 93.2 - Page 2

Spring 93.1 / 93.2

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
abma
Spring Developer

Re: Spring 93.1

Post by abma »

i'll make a 93.2 release as unitsync in linux static builds are broken :-/
very_bad_soldier

Re: AW: Spring 93.1

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Btw, are you guys aware that every single reply in this release threads pops up as a new item in the RSS readers of the people?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

You said you wanted tomorrow at 4am.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

There are some more bad bugs too;

GameController::Draw shows close to 100% (in alt+b debug mode) essentially as soon as game hsa started, with both single thread and MT exe. With MT the draw frame is about 3-4x the length of the sim frame. InputRecievers::Draw and Game::Draw also use more % than they should iirc. This is (I think, judging by cpu %s shown ingame) really slowing games down when unit count is >1k.

Units get stuck *really* easily when trying to path around the edge of an impassable region. Pick any impassable region, even just a corner, and ask a tank to path around it and it is basically guaranteed to get stuck, if it so much as touches the corner.

Weapontype torpedo launcher won't aim when its built in water and force fired underwater, but its happy to aim if built on land and force fired onto either water or land. Waterdepth has smth to do with it but its clearly bugged.

The new default collision volumes are too big; often units in a clump will refuse to fire, I assume because of friendly fire worries.

Avoidground is broken -it has no effect on unit behaviour as far as I can see, but it did work when it introduced. (Minor issue, this.)

Sorry to be negative - there are lots of good improvements in 93.0/1 as well but imo this will need more than a quick fix. I've mantised all the above.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@very_bad_soldier:
oops, wrong feed url is used on the front-page.

use http://springrts.com/phpbb/feed.php?mode=news instead

maybe it got broken when phpbb was updated... fixed it
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Was enforcing of new Engine somehow bounded with election of new Pepe Pope?

---------------------------------------

Btw this style of killing the game play-ability for few days is really for psychicly strong players.

Is it really impossible to run authosts for both engine versions (old and new) for few days together?

Is hard kill the engine check (in older lobbies) for simple connection to main server? (can be moved to room connection check)
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

I've fixed unitsync in the linux static builds:

Linux32 static

Linux64 static

only change is fixed unitsync, so should be fully compatible to 93.1 & 93.0.

(93.1 release already failed a bit, so this shouldn't/can't really break more stuff...)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Silentwings wrote:There are some more bad bugs too;

Units get stuck *really* easily when trying to path around the edge of an impassable region. Pick any impassable region, even just a corner, and ask a tank to path around it and it is basically guaranteed to get stuck, if it so much as touches the corner.
This is the most severe bug IMO. Pathfinding worked well about two years ago, can't we just go back to that?
gajop

Post by gajop »

Jools wrote: This is the most severe bug IMO. Pathfinding worked well about two years ago, can't we just go back to that?
Even if it were better two years ago, how does "can we revert a certain feature to what it was 2 years ago without royally screwing up everything else?" sound to you when you say it?
Falcrum

Post by Falcrum »

REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Weird shit happening in BA, I'm trying to pinpoint the culprit. The pathing issues are known, but there seem to be a plethora of targeting issues as well (units refuse to fire at close range).

Also, upon reconnect, almost all build menu icons are broken. Not sure if this is a lua issue or ...
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

plethora of targeting issues as well (units refuse to fire at close range).
I think this is due to new default colvols being too large and resulting in units not wanting to friendly fire when they are clustered, but I'm not sure & might be other things too.
upon reconnect, almost all build menu icons are broken
This works for me. Reconnecting seems slower than it used to be, though.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Silentwings wrote:
plethora of targeting issues as well (units refuse to fire at close range).
I think this is due to new default colvols being too large and resulting in units not wanting to friendly fire when they are clustered, but I'm not sure & might be other things too.
This is completely game breaking in BA, not sure about other mods.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

noticed in 93.1:
  • yes, pathing/blocking sensitivity overally increased for vehicles and lowered for bots (vehs get stacked almost everywhere if not totaly flat and robots path through hills with the same priority as via flats, couse no disadvantage for them now - tested NOTA, valles marineris v2)
  • planes aiming is changed, so precision bombers dont even shoot moving target sometimes, they dont try to hit
  • why the hell almost every minute the setting of autohosts is changed (version to version?) why all set to 93.2 without release of 93.2????
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

PepeAmpere wrote:[*] why the hell almost every minute the setting of autohosts is changed (version to version?) why all set to 93.2 without release of 93.2????[/list]
93.2 is "released". as this is a hotfix for linux static builds only and macosx buildslave is currently down i made no bigger release note.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I really think the community is owed some sort of explaination as to why this release was done this way. BLAMEGAME MUST NOT HAPPEN. Just a stick to the facts, this is why we had the 93.1 release(leave names out ffs, that is childish). There is no need to prod old wounds or create new ones, just what feature was so urgent that this release had to happen. I feel this was a particularly bad choice and I at least would like to have some sort of explanation.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

it seems without setting it live, to few testing is done. this is why still many bugs are revealed when its released / set live. but as we've no static linux build, this situation should improve as all lobbies can / could automaticly update spring.

current pr-downloader can download engines as well, so it should be easy to integrate it into all lobies.

when this is done, no version has to be enforced at the server any more, and then the game-dev / autohost owner (thats how it should be) can decide when he switches to the new engine version. lobby servers and some lobbies already support that, but as the change in the lobby protocol isn't documented its not widely used.

so you can blame all and everything, but this would change or improve nothing i guess.

(also it was set a bit to quick live...)
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Yet another reason why we need multiple builds to be available through the lobbies.

So we can pick and choose the version to test or play.

Have 2 installed - test and play (unstable and stable) versions and pick what version to host when you make a game.
danil_kalina

Post by danil_kalina »

abma wrote: 93.2 is "released". as this is a hotfix for linux static builds only and macosx buildslave is currently down i made no bigger release note.
where ?

http://springrts.com/
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

http://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/default/master/93.2/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/springrts/
http://api.springfiles.com/?springname= ... gine_linux

its just a hotfix for broken unitsync in linux static builds... also i didn't update main links because macosx build isn't finished (buildslave down)

Return to “News”