Spring 93.1 / 93.2 - Page 6

Spring 93.1 / 93.2

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
zerver
Spring Developer

Re: Spring 93.1 / 93.2

Post by zerver »

muckl wrote:
zerver wrote:94.0 has just been tagged... if someone left due to the 93.1 pathing failure plz come back :)
the child is already fallen into well :P

http://planetspads.free.fr/spring/stats ... _104_4.png
There are so few players that the drop you see is actually the game/engine developers who are busy writing code instead of playing.
muckl

Post by muckl »

so.. the devs are playing BA?
http://planetspads.free.fr/spring/stats ... _132_4.png

how many developers do we have?
is there a list somewhere?

they were not busy @ coding before the awful release?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Guys, we dance this drama dance every single release.

It's not ideal that the engine doesn't get enough multiplayer testing before releases, but the devs will push out fixes fast and the playerbase will go back to the way it was.

It always has, for years.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

luckywaldo7 wrote:Guys, we dance this drama dance every single release.

It's not ideal that the engine doesn't get enough multiplayer testing before releases, but the devs will push out fixes fast and the playerbase will go back to the way it was.

+1

Lets keep the ad-hominem out of this.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

The bugs and some other release issues are understandable. The bad thing is, the engine developers are not able to increase/enhance their communication with their users (devs, players). Small post with report (short info) about current engine works/expectations/issues each one day or two in problematic "release weeks" would be nice minimum.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

PepeAmpere wrote:

The bugs and some other release issues are understandable. The bad thing is, the engine developers are not able to increase/enhance their communication with their users (devs, players). Small post with report (short info) about current engine works/expectations/issues each one day or two in problematic "release weeks" would be nice minimum.
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29792
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

The bad thing is, the engine developers are not able to increase/enhance their communication with their users (devs, players).
I really disagree, (I'm a mod dev and player) - bug reports on mantis get looked at quickly, devs often answer questions about mod development and lua/api, and I've found that if I want to work out how close we are to a release all I have to do get involved in the testing process.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Silentwings wrote:
The bad thing is, the engine developers are not able to increase/enhance their communication with their users (devs, players).
I really disagree, (I'm a mod dev and player) - bug reports on mantis get looked at quickly, devs often answer questions about mod development and lua/api, and I've found that if I want to work out how close we are to a release all I have to do get involved in the testing process.
You get the point, you need to dig somewhere for the information. You are extraordinary user, silentwings, majority of users have no time to read each bug report and make "own" conclusions what... maybe.. possibly... happend :-).

Theres big difference to have one stable URL with last short news and some huge forum/developers tool and read each bug report.

For engine developer having all stuff in head its 5 minute work to write 4-5 lines to some stable URL (i repeat it many times, because for some people its not enough, that stable adress for such news is important and really different from mantis diggs - and this overview is maybe enough for game developer, but really not enough for player).
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

There is a hint of a insinuation that the trolls in this comunity dont do a proper job, keeping engine devs from working. Surely our timetorpedos, sliding through the shallow waters of moddev and sy, dont do the job properly..

Though there was a time i felt the same way. Man was i a self absorbed twat in these days. I had tons of feature requests for ridiculous stuff and they wouldnt crawl out of there holes to do it. I was so pissed, i learned coding (LUA) and made my own mod just to show them. And by showing them, they showed me, what perspective is.

They do what they are suppossed to do. They aint feature-devs. They are engine-devs. They do that quite good. And if you really bust your head against hardcode, they change that. Without great feature request, without much sound, you just wake up, and suddenly a wall has moved, and you can walk on.

Communications never have been better. (Releases are communication)
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

The realease of 94.0 looks promising and it looks there was done a lot of work in short time, I dont argue against this. All my reactions were aimed on release of 93.1 and situation few days (or first week) after that.
muckl

Post by muckl »

i cannot install 93.2 for spads @ linux
or spads wont work.. dont know
im using ppa and spads in testing rep.

spads says: WARNING - [SPADS] Lobby server requires Spring 93, UnitSync is using Spring 92
NOTICE - [SPADS] Close battle scheduled (reason: Lobby server requires Spring 93, UnitSync is using Spring 92)

there is only one libunitsync.so in /usr/lib/spring/libunitsync.so
and i configured spads for that path

i dont know but is the libunitsync.so in ppa the wrong file maybe?
spring-dedicated and libunitsync.so are both 21. march filetime
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I know this isn't the worlds most helpful answer - but 94.0 will go live soon so I'd recommend trying to set that up, since 93.2 might only be around for a day or two more.
muckl

Post by muckl »

there is no 94 ppa
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

not yet, but there will be. i think koshi makes the linux ppas although i don't know how fast they appear.
muckl

Post by muckl »

i really think the ppa files are wrong
someone runs that already with success?
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

i have only one small experience with this, but not much relevant. My friends playing spring usually from office were unable to use 93.2 windows portable versions on their office machines (=> crash), but with 91.0 portable there was no problem. Only I know about their computers is there is WinXP, own GPU with last versions of drivers, 2-8 core intel processors. I dont know much, yes :lol: .
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Forboding Angel wrote:
Cheesecan wrote:
albator wrote:you notice the number of BA player kinda drop....
most non-dsd ppl left
doesn't help that HoTS was just released either
This is what happens when you royally fuck up a release...
I'm not involved, nor do I have the energy to become, so I don't feel I have the right to criticize their work like you do. Just stating my observations.

That being said, we are all human and prone to error. These things happen all the time. But it would be good if there were some safety measures in place to help prevent them.

The worrisome part is that this seems to be part of a negative trend. Pathfinding has been wrecked for a few years now, getting worse and worse with each release. These things create resentment among players. "&%¤&! pathing" is something you hear yelled out in every single game born out of frustration.

The hardest part for BA players to stomach is that each release only breaks things with no added benefit for them.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Return to “News”