Spring 93.0

Spring 93.0

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
jK
Spring Developer

Spring 93.0

Post by jK »

Not enforced on server yet! You still need 91.0 for online gaming!

Release Message
166+22 days, 1334+73 commits later. Endless benchmarks & recompiles.
And here we are. The first release with binary builds for Linux, working FOSS drivers support and many improvements in the engine itself.

Kudos
Thanks everyone for your contributions! In particular gajop & cleanrock.

Download links: Major changes:
  • Linux cross-distro binary builds
  • first release working with Mesa drivers
  • much faster Sim (~20% and ~50% with working OMP)
  • some new Sim/weapon features
  • many improvements in spring-mt
  • add experimental map generator (see http://springrts.com/wiki/Mapgen for details)
  • new cmdline arguments
  • better pathing
Full changelog here.

PS: It was my fault that 92.0 was broken and never went live. Sorry everyone :)
Last edited by jK on 06 Mar 2013, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
zerver
Spring Developer

Re: Spring 93.0

Post by zerver »

Good job! We'll see who broke it this time... :mrgreen:
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

let the lottery begin... ;)

uploaded to sourceforge, all links should work now.
wolas

Post by wolas »

When lobbies will support different engine versions and not only official wont such thing be the past?

Buildbot builds whatever bugfix release, lobby autodownloads it, users play it. Also gentoo or whatever users could enjoy multiple compile orgasms a day! WIN WIN.

Now seeing when mod try to luahackfix some non major engine bug which already has fix in git makes me really sad.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

! apply rotations & scalings
literal tears of happiness. are there still any cases where one would want to use upspring?

Also, SetProjectileTarget / GetProjectileTarget and SpawnProjectile are not in changelog - were they omitted?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

wolas wrote: Buildbot builds whatever bugfix release, lobby autodownloads it, users play it. Also gentoo or whatever users could enjoy multiple compile orgasms a day! WIN WIN.
That's a huge security issue. I wont use any lobby that autodownloads a lot of stuff in the background, God knows what it will download.

Firewall blocks such things...
yanom

Post by yanom »

jK wrote: [*] add experimental map generator (see http://springrts.com/wiki/Mapgen for details)
sweeeeeeeeeeeett! I can't wait until we get Lua control over this.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Jools wrote:
wolas wrote: Buildbot builds whatever bugfix release, lobby autodownloads it, users play it. Also gentoo or whatever users could enjoy multiple compile orgasms a day! WIN WIN.
That's a huge security issue. I wont use any lobby that autodownloads a lot of stuff in the background, God knows what it will download.
I agree, professional users in particular are typically very anti towards systems that automate and install stuff in the background. I just hate it.
wolas

Post by wolas »

Thats why you could just compile it yourself!

People use ZK lobby and dont see any problems.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Jools wrote:That's a huge security issue. I wont use any lobby that autodownloads a lot of stuff in the background, God knows what it will download.
I totally agree on the _feeling_, but unfortunately reality brought systems with broken package management named "Windows" and "MacOS". That has led to a "normality": Firefox, Chrome, Acroread, Flash, Quicktime, the list goes on - all download binary executables and install them into you system. Gamers are totally OK with that, as they use Steam and such.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Great work on all those fantastic improvements (again) :P

The convenience of autodownloading maps+mods+etc massively outweighs its disadvantages, especially for newcomers. Afaik in every lobby that does this there are easy ways to turn it off.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:That's a huge security issue. I wont use any lobby that autodownloads a lot of stuff in the background, God knows what it will download.
Must suck to live in the modern age of gaming.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Silentwings wrote: The convenience of autodownloading maps+mods+etc massively outweighs its disadvantages, especially for newcomers.
That's a matter of opinion, not a fact. If there's an option somewhere, the default should be off then. You're forgetting there are other things than spring running on a computer, let the user decide when something should use network bandwidth or CPU power.

I mena, there is no problem with offering optional things to the user, such as autodownloads. But to force them, that's just wrong. The process will just be killed in taskmanager.
wolas

Post by wolas »

All I can say is OMG.

When you launch game you expect it to autoupdate if it needs to. Believe me you dont want to instruct every newb how to setup this and that... Security Fetish Freaks who want to compile code can just edit .ini or something they actually will first check all settings and just then use the program, if not also review code first someone could hide some trojan here! Who knows :mrgreen:
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

What can I say, poeple are different. I don't want thibgs to auto-update. That's why I stopped using things like Opera and Skype.
wolas

Post by wolas »

You are funny, I mean majority is what matters, people like you are clever and they can adjust settings without being told how to do so... But teaching newbs how to setup things is just pain in the ass...

Instaling game as it is now. Download compile engine, download compile lobby, download game, put it here, say few magical words and dance a secret dance.

Most of games just works spring is so complicated to setup on linux. (thanks for zklobby not on windows) I missed spring few times. I was on game installing spree. Aptitude install spring + 10 another games. Launching games wolas@pc:~$ spring and I see that it wants something whatever more well why to bother it looks crappy, next game.

Or another thing was you apt-get install springlobby install engine and you find that your engine is outdated believe me at first time I wasnt so enthusiastic that there is new engine version and I need to complie it to just try game online.

Actually I found about spring by complete accident just because I wanted to try kernel panic game and took pains to setup shit. (compare installation to warzone2100 or whatever other game which also works on linux they are much more straightforward)
smoth

Post by smoth »

wolas wrote:You are funny, I mean majority is what matters, people like you are clever and they can adjust settings without being told how to do so... But teaching newbs how to setup things is just pain in the ass...

Instaling game as it is now. Download compile engine, download compile lobby, download game, put it here, say few magical words and dance a secret dance.
^ this
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Sure its a matter of opinion, and the default setting of autoupdate/download is what the *vast* majority of gamers currently use & wants, and also what other games (and just software in general post 2000 ...) does.

I don't really see why this discussion belongs in this thread.
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Jools wrote:

Firewall blocks such things...
Oh god, I would hate to think link you.

Please don't stop letting lobbies auto download mods and maps.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Silentwings wrote: I don't really see why this discussion belongs in this thread.
+1

Return to “News”