Spring 92.0! - Page 3

Spring 92.0!

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Re: Spring 92.0!

Post by dansan »

I didn't know you wanted accurate numbers - I thought a rough estimate would be enough...

In the replays there is only the "Connection established Version: 91.0 (MT-Sim)" chat message. I can still not properly retrieve them. Anyway: that msg is there every time a user connects, so not very accurate either.

Regarding statistics: I have >1 core, but use ST, because I also play TA-RD, and that desyncs with MT. I don't like to switch exe, because it's to annoying to desync. Most players use ST, because they simply don't know about MT.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i though there was a huge drop in per core GHz's during the time of the appearance of the first multi cores. like.. my old Athlon XP 2600 (around 2+GHz?), released in 2001. in the same year, Pentium 4 with 2GHz was released. There are Pentium 4's, with single core, with 3.6GHz.
The Pentium 4's have this virtual cores thing (not sure if all of them), but i don't know if MT spring would also profit from that. AMDs did not have that anyway.
Last edited by hoijui on 03 Mar 2013, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
wolas

Post by wolas »

Thanks for downgrading libc abma it works nicely!
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Perhaps we should do a hardware survey... or just assume we parallel the trends in http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

If spring would be proper software it would have installed a wide variety of spyware, adware and crapware, and we would not only know the users CPU type but also what cereals he likes, what other accounts he has and would have copied his address book. Then we wouldn't need donations for the server anymore.... and would know the CPU type :mrgreen:
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

SinbadEV wrote:Perhaps we should do a hardware survey... or just assume we parallel the trends in http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
GJ! As we can see, gamers with 1 core ~ 5% of all gamers.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

hoijui wrote:The Pentium 4's have this virtual cores thing (not sure if all of them), but i don;t know if MT spring would also profit from that. AMDs did not have that anyway.
I believe because Intel holds the hyperthreading patents. HT may seem like crap at first glance, but can actually help quite a bit mainly because the processor can instantly switch between threads. If one thread has to wait for some reason (usually because of a cache miss), then some other thread may be able to run meanwhile.

As you know, it is difficult to find any stationary computer with less than 4 cores today. And laptops typically come with at least 2 cores. Spring MT requires at least 3 cores, runs well on a quad, and benefits from even more cores due to one core being completely dedicated to pathfinding.

Return to “News”