Spring 0.82.3 hot fix release - Page 2

Spring 0.82.3 hot fix release

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
Lelousius

Re: Spring 0.82.3 hot fix release

Post by Lelousius »

Hi all!
I was looking forward to this updaet to test multi-theading online. It's fine :) , but it also adds a flashing gui-object saying some percent number and I don't know how to turn off.
I also like idea of rejoining games. I tried it out but it was slow for me most the time. Sometimes it seemed to be at gamespeed or even slower.when i turned of the GUI [F5] it was about twice as fast.
Now I'd like to request some more speed in that great feature by i.e. skipping visual rendering of some frames automatically if you are not at 10 times of the games speed or sth.
Have fun
Lelousius
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

daftalx wrote:uploading the 0.82.3 source tarball on the mirror would be nice for me to update the Mac version :wink:
The non-mirror (i.e. SF) was working fine ;-)

Either way, fixed now, thanks for reporting!
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

Tobi wrote:
daftalx wrote:uploading the 0.82.3 source tarball on the mirror would be nice for me to update the Mac version :wink:
The non-mirror (i.e. SF) was working fine ;-)

Either way, fixed now, thanks for reporting!
sorry, forgot to point out.. The Mac version dls and builds automatically via MacPorts, though for some reason the MacPorts system is unable to fetch directly from the sf repo (it used to be possible, so either I messed up somewhere, or sf simply blocked direct non-http dl to force people to fetch manually and view those nice ads before downloading... sick :( ).

Thx anyway, building now...
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

daftalx wrote: though for some reason the MacPorts system is unable to fetch directly from the sf repo (it used to be possible, so either I messed up somewhere, or sf simply blocked direct non-http dl to force people to fetch manually and view those nice ads before downloading....
sf's direct links include a timestamp, make sure to update that ( not sure if simply updating it would suffice tho )
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

ok, almost there...

Since the headless-related targets were not working on Mac (and still aren't, sorry I really have no time to look into that these days), I used to replace "make && make install" by "make spring && make install", which worked fine for 0.81.2.1 (cmake options unchanged).

It seems though the install rules have changed in the Makefile as of 0.82.x releases. "make install" won't work anymore due to missing stuff (this actually makes more sense than before since I only ask to build spring).
So I replaced that with "make install-spring", which does well until it tries to install AI-related stuff (which isn't built by "make spring"). Here's the tail of my log:

Code: Select all

-- Install configuration: "Release"
-- Installing: /path/to/spring_0.82.3/output/share/games/spring/AI/Interfaces/C/0.1
-- Installing: /path/to/spring_0.82.3/output/share/games/spring/AI/Interfaces/C/0.1/InterfaceInfo.lua
-- Installing: /path/to/spring_0.82.3/output/share/games/spring/AI/Interfaces/C/0.1
CMake Error at AI/Interfaces/C/cmake_install.cmake:39 (FILE):
  file INSTALL cannot find
  "/path/to/spring_0.82.3/build/AI/Interfaces/C/libAIInterface.dylib".
I may be wrong assuming this is due to a change in rule dependencies, but that's how it looks like since AI wasn't built previously... Could someone double-check on another platform ?
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Lelousius wrote:Hi all!
I was looking forward to this updaet to test multi-theading online. It's fine :) , but it also adds a flashing gui-object saying some percent number and I don't know how to turn off.
That flashing is a warning, and it is there for a purpose. When game starts, there are some lines of text printed on the console that describes how to make it stop flashing.
Lelousius wrote:when i turned of the GUI [F5] it was about twice as fast.
Yes, this is what the warning is all about. When you have changed your settings according to the instructions, it will run fine with the GUI enabled too.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

daftalx, that should be fixed in master (not the HL & DS thing, but the make spring and make install-spring).
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Portage direct SF download confirmed working, with wget-able link: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... c.tar.lzma

For omiting headless, I apply the folowing patch, works fine:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/rts/builds/CMakeLists.txt b/rts/builds/CMakeLists.txt
index ef85210..05d51cc 100644
--- a/rts/builds/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/rts/builds/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -38,4 +38,4 @@ if    (NOT HEADLESS_SYSTEM)
 endif (NOT HEADLESS_SYSTEM)

Add_Subdirectory(DS)
-Add_Subdirectory(HL)
+#Add_Subdirectory(HL)
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

Auswaschbar wrote:Portage direct SF download confirmed working, with wget-able link: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... c.tar.lzma
Indeed, your direct link works (I've update the Portfile accordingly). It's the built-in "direct sf" download which pointed to a wrong place (some server named internalap at sf). I'll push the info to the MacPorts dev.
hoijui wrote:daftalx, that should be fixed in master (not the HL & DS thing, but the make spring and make install-spring).
Well, yeah, it's fixed... and now that it builds fine it won't run anymore :cry:
http://pastebin.ca/1918253.
I've also noticed the unitsync lib now has ".so" extension instead of ".dylib". I hope this is not a side-effect from too much merging with the linux build...

Where's my good old 0.81.2.1... :roll:
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

umm...
no idea how to read anything useful out of that stack trace. is that with debug symbols or without? (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=DEBUG2 ?).

unitsync should actually be an .so, not a dylib. same applies for AIs. on OS X, .dylib is for normal shared libs, while .so is for dynamically loaded libs (eg, at runtime, plugins style, with dlopen()).
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Pretty annoying that spring still doesn't work properly on ATi cards :(
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

go bug ATI
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

hoijui wrote:go bug ATI
Funny how other games seem to manage it yet spring doesn't? Not that i don't appreciate all the work that goes into Spring i think it's awesome.

It's just annoying that i can't play it.

Ps. Where would i "bug" ATi about this anyway?
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

liamdawe wrote:Funny how other games seem to manage it yet spring doesn't?
Other games are mostly DirectX based and thus limited to Windows. That is why they work better. ATI simply does not make good OpenGL drivers.
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

zerver wrote:
liamdawe wrote:Funny how other games seem to manage it yet spring doesn't?
Other games are mostly DirectX based and thus limited to Windows. That is why they work better. ATI simply does not make good OpenGL drivers.
I'm talking OpenGL games - take Glest/MegaGlest for example, Sacred Gold, Urban Terror, Warsow etc etc all OpenGL and work fine.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

you forgot TuxRacer and GLX-Gears.
go do your homework.
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Sorry but what? I gave you a list of opengl games that work...
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

ATi FAQ

The Cat Beta solves the texture Cat10.5+ problem for the most of users :? But it has only Win installer... so Linux is screwed ATM.

Il-2 series, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc. all these games were bugged by this ATi fault...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

A number of the games you listed use very limited selections of OGL features to achieve desired effects. Most of them are antiquated in the extreme and depend on legacy features which are carefully maintained.
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Thanks those replies helped me understand a bit more.

Return to “News”