Release candidate: Spring 0.81.1.2

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS VERSION IS NOT LIVE YET ON SERVER

Another important note for game developers: in the next version "modinfo.tdf" will be deprecated. You will have to use "modinfo.lua" then. We urge you all to change this as soon as possible to ease the transition. Details can be found here.

Okay, back to the topic of the announcement. The last release candidate had one blocking bug (map options being broken) and some smaller bugs, so here is a new candidate release: Spring 0.81.1.2.

As you can read from the version number, this release does not sync with 0.81.0, so keep that in mind while testing.

In hoijui's post in the thread about the previous release candidate is described how you can test on the current lobby server, if there is no test/backup server available.

Changes since the previous release candidate, Spring 0.81.0, include:

Engine / Simulation:
  • Terrain types and water damage are now taken into account for pathing checksum
    (Fixes desyncs on maps with map options which modify terrain types or water damage)
  • Changed builder patrol/fight behaviour for Hold Pos and Maneuver movestates
  • Being-built units are now visible on radar by default
Engine / Rendering, UI:
  • Added speed display
  • Improved basic player list
  • If OpenGL 1.4 is not available, an error is shown
  • Fixed being-built unit rendering
  • Placing buildings close together works again
  • Fixed canceling of first build item when buildiconsfirst is toggled
Engine / Lua:
  • Less strict type checking in VFS.DirList (fixes FBI2Lua converter)
Engine / System:
  • Map options fixed
  • Menu doesn't crash anymore if no mods/maps found

Thanks everyone for their contributions!

Download links: We will put these links on the download page once the release is live on the lobby server.

Please, test this release candidate and report any bugs you may find (in particular regressions since 0.80.5.2!) on mantis. If no blocking issues are reported, we will officially release this soon.

To test this release on the main/official lobby server, refer to the instructions in this post.

Have fun!
Sausage

Re: Release candidate: Spring 0.81.1.2

Post by Sausage »

Engine / Simulation:

* Terrain types and water damage are now taken into account for pathing checksum
(Fixes desyncs on maps with map options which modify terrain types or water damage)
does this mean we don't desync on every map with trees? I hope so, that's really annoying.
Placing buildings close together works again
It was broke? :?

I hope in the next update you focus more on the multi-threaded version of spring
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Uploaded & added Windows portable archive.
prankster

Post by prankster »

You are releasing a lot of rc's...

no stable versions any more? :P
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

prankster wrote:You are releasing a lot of rc's...

no stable versions any more? :P
why should you release a rc version as a stable version? You're doing right with so many rc releases!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Before, we had a short burst of bugfixes release after the (supposedly) Stable.

Now, we have a short burst of Release Candidate before the Stable.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

I can confirm the Gl 1.4 Error message being shown - good work!
The not so good part (for me) is that it Spring still thinks I don't have version 1.4 (though the version checker says I do..). Sorry, I guess I should have checked this out sooner.
If this is all that springs up, don't view it as a reason not to actually release this release canditate though, for sure.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Just to clarify some things: (sadly I have to clarify these -- if you had actually tested the release candidate it would be clear ;-))

The upcoming release, very much similar, or even identical to this release candidate will NOT remove modinfo.tdf support, and it will NOT stop spawning start units.

These breaking changes will be in the MAJOR release after this release candidate is finally deployed on the lobby server. (i.e. 2-6 months from now)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

SeanHeron
there are two ways (or maybe more) to check for OpenGL 1.4 support, programmatically. we use the sane, which is checking for GLEW_VERSION_1_4 (or something like that). i guess, whatever you use to check the version, uses the version string return by the GetVersion() function (don't know exactly what its called like, but.. you'll get a string).
so it looks like your driver does not set GLEW_VERSION_1_4, but reports "1.4". i do not know if this is the problem, but there is not much we can be doing wrong there, it could also be GLEWs fault.
what you can do:
compile your own version with this check removed (eg, you have to edit the source code, i could help you there), or use a DEBUG build of spring; though this will run slower (do not know how much).
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Thanks HoiJoi for trying to help :). I'm afraid I should have reposted the (pretty much unchanged) infolog - as Tobi pointed out in the same matter: Spring itself is saying I have v1.4 in the checks, and then aborting and saying I don't :P.
The relevant code:

Code: Select all

[      0] SDL:  1.2.10
[      0] GL:   1.4.0 - Build 4.14.10.3775
[      0] GL:   Intel
[      0] GL:   Intel 855GM
[      0] GLEW: 1.4.0
[      0] Minimal required OpenGL version is 1.4
I'm going to have to switch testing rigs sooner or later though anyhow, since Features and stuff are going to bring this one to it's knees either way. So I'm not really concerned (just thought I'd post the info, in case anyone had tried to mess with it - guess mantis would have been the appropriate path to take...).

For completeness sake:
[code]LogOutput initialized.
Spring 0.81.1.2 (0.81.1.2-0-gf3ab958{@}-cmake-mingw32)
Build date/time: Jan 27 2010 11:40:04
Available log subsystems: mapinfo, CollisionVolume, unit, VFS-detail, VFS, ArchiveScanner, Sound
Enabled log subsystems: Sound
Enable or disable log subsystems using the LogSubsystems configuration key
or the SPRING_LOG_SUBSYSTEMS environment variable (both comma separated).
default config file: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\springsettings.cfg
using default configuration source "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\springsettings.cfg"
[CMyMath::Init] CPU SSE mask: 112, flags:
SSE 1.0: 1, SSE 2.0: 1
SSE 3.0: 0, SSSE 3.0: 0
SSE 4.1: 0, SSE 4.2: 0
SSE 4.0A: 0, SSE 5.0A: 0
using streflop SSE FP-math mode, CPU supports SSE instructions
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1200MHz; 630MB RAM, 1363MB pagefile
Using read-write data directory: C:\Program Files\Springbeta\
Using read-only data directory: C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Games\Spring\
Using read-only data directory: C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Spring\
Using read-only data directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spring\
Scanning: C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Games\Spring\maps
Scanning: C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\My Games\Spring\mods
Scanning: C:\Program Files\Springbeta\maps
Scanning: C:\Program Files\Springbeta\base
Scanning: C:\Program Files\Springbeta\mods
Video mode set to 1024 x 768 / 32 bit
[ 0] SDL: 1.2.10
[ 0] GL: 1.4.0 - Build 4.14.10.3775
[ 0] GL: Intel
[ 0] GL: Intel 855GM
[ 0] GLEW: 1.4.0
[ 0] Minimal required OpenGL version is 1.4
[/code]
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Just cause your gfx drivers say they support 1.4, it doesn't have to mean they support 1.4 :wink:

E.g. ATi claimed to support OpenGL2.1 for multiple years w/o NPOT support ...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah.. the thing is, that thing which is in the infolog is the string representation of the driver, as used by the utility you used (i guess), but in the code where we check for the version, and abort if not supported, we use the GLEW_VERSION_1_4 thing.
but obviously this is confusing behavior (even if it is purely the drivers fault).
What i could do is, report both the version string and the result of checking GLEW_VERSION_1_4 in the infolog, or at least do this, if GLEW_VERSION_1_4 is false.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

am confused now.
googling for GL_VERSION_1_4, suggests it exists too, though GLEW_VERSION_1_4 docu suggests it is about "GL version 1.4" not "Glew version 1.4" as well. and i remember it being talked about like this in the tutorial i used when writing this patch/commit (linked to by jk).
i forgot again what glew is, my vague memory tells me it is something like an utility lib/package for GL?
and that could suggest we need Glew 1.4 ..
someone please unconfuse me; this may need fixing for the release, as we might be unnecessarily excluding some drivers
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Wikipedia wrote:OpenGL Extension Wrangler Library (GLEW), a cross-platform C/C++ library that helps in querying and loading OpenGL extensions.
You don't need GLEW 1.4, but you need GLEW to known if you have GL 1.4!

Disclaimer: I know nothing about all this. The content of this post is provided with no warranty, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranty of truthfullness and fitness for the particular purpose of Spring OpenGL checks. The entire risk as to edit Spring source code is with you. Should my piece of info proves defective, you assume all the necessary patching, bug fixing and reversing.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

zwzsg wrote:You don't need GLEW 1.4, but you need GLEW to known if you have GL 1.4!
That is right.

It may be that GLEW performs a number of sanity checks on the GL driver to see if it is truely OpenGL 1.4 compliant, and if not, sets GLEW_VERSION_1_4 to false.

Hoijui: GL_VERSION_1_4 is just a symbolic constant, which can be used to detect at compile time whether the used OpenGL headers contain OpenGL 1.4 stuff.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

I use arrow to move camera view and I have a fucking big probleme now.
Scroll with arrow is "smothed", you dont reach full speed instantly when u hit arrow to move view.
You have an acceleration and when you stop pressing arrow view continue moving for a short moment.
It's really not precise.
It's fucking annoying for me, I never use middle mouse button to scrll view during game when I play, I use only arrow (qsdw to be precise) to move camera on the battle field, and I would be really a lot annoyed to have this scrolling new system.

Thx a lot for you're job, I hope you'll fix that. :D
smoth

Post by smoth »

triton wrote:Scroll with arrow is "smothed"
you cannot smoth a control. you can only smoth a model
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

ok.. but did u understand?
anyway tobi understood my prob, now i just hope he'll fix it
mongus

Post by mongus »

Will tasclient be included in the official release?

i see no reason to drop a good, mature and mantained lobby client.

please include it in the installer.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Satirik himself suggested it to be removed

Return to “News”