Help wanted - Page 2

Help wanted

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

sinclaire wrote:Bonjour je ne parle pas l'anglais mais je peut vous fournir le grogoth spring haute definition si vous voulez bien :-)
This is worth translating. This guy's models are hot!

"Hi, I don't speak english, but I can provide you with a hi-res Spring Krogoth if you want :-)"

-----
Bienvenue Sinclaire. Je peux agir comme traducteur si jamais tu en as besoin. Tes mod├â┬¿les d'unit├â┬®s sont super.
sinclaire

Post by sinclaire »

thank you :wink:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

If I remember from the discussing being refered too... we decided that lag was caused by the increased pathing calculations long before high poly units started being a factor... I mean games like Unreal have thousands of polys per object and fully rendered 3D terrain and they don't poke out... tests need to be run... someone should make a really crazy high poly sphere ground unit and see how many you can build and send out patrolling before it starts lagging, then do the same with simple OTA style peewees and see how close it is...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Oh yeah... I don't "speak" french too good... but I can read it fine... let me try this out...

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I just insulted someone there... and I'm too lazy to use accents and stuff... and I speack Quebeqiose instead of Franch so it's already butchered there...
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

SinbadEV wrote:If I remember from the discussing being refered too... we decided that lag was caused by the increased pathing calculations long before high poly units started being a factor... I mean games like Unreal have thousands of polys per object and fully rendered 3D terrain and they don't poke out... tests need to be run... someone should make a really crazy high poly sphere ground unit and see how many you can build and send out patrolling before it starts lagging, then do the same with simple OTA style peewees and see how close it is...
Quoted for truths.

I have a rather modest graphics card (radeon 9500pro), and if i turn down shadows (which are a bit much for a gfx card with that shading power), whenever it gets slow, its because of the non-graphics part of the game (even at 1280x1024).
Debug shows simtime (or what its called) needed 70%+ cpu...
Snooky

Post by Snooky »

Sinclaire!!! :o

Your models are awesome! I love what you've done with the Evolva models and especially appreciate your recent very highly detailed models!

I really hope you lead this project (and make a super high ploy count Core Commander and Krogoth to begin with...) :wink:
sinclaire

Post by sinclaire »

Merci beaucoup pour ces compliments je vai m'attaquer au krogoth et je posterai des images sur l'avancement des traveaux sur ce forum et je trouve que ta spring avance bien beau travaille à tous :P

Translation:

Thank you very much for these compliments I vai to attack me with the krogoth and I will post images on the advance of the joists on this forum and I find that your spring advances quite beautiful works with all :|

Excuse me bad translation..... :|
SJ

Post by SJ »

Although Sinclaires models are very nice I think we need someone that speaks a bit better english to coordinate the thing since I hope at least some more ppl will be interested in working on it (although it seems french might be a good thing for the coordinator to know :) ). So if someone could begin with creating a Wiki or other webpage showing the best model available for the different kinds of units as well as who is working on improving it and if it has been checked for correct size/fire points it would be a good start.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well I quickly compiled a list of TA units (Oly arm ones, as I couldnt find a good list of Core one's) in the wiki, with a place for whos working on them and if their complete or not.

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Units:High-poly

Feel free to edit it, as its in the wiki and all. Add your name to the 'People Working on it' coloum for that particualr model if you decide to work on it. later ill add a column for a screenshot or something, and people can choose the best model if theres two of them. If some one finds a list of ALL the units, send it to me and ill add it to the list.

**EDIT**
Updated the page to look a bit better now.
Pxtl

Hmm

Post by Pxtl »

If new models are being made from scratch, wouldn't it make more sense to make the new models look different and have different names rather than violate Cavedog's copyrights? IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that it's legal to copy every aspect of gameplay as long as you change the trademarks and artwork, so if you're already remodelling things then it would become viable to make the graphics look different too, converting Spring into a fully-free (as in speech) game... particularly if the models were then licensed under creative-commons. As it is there's a bit of a legal minefield.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

We need a list of who's doing what or we'll end up a load of different versions of units

EDIT: Oh, a Pxtl? Thats what OTAR-EVAMP was supposed to be. People don't seem interested in a copy-right free Spring "TA" for some reason

EDIT: Oops, just read the wiki. Feel free to delete this post
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

well atari don't even seem to know about this so who cares?
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

I would be happy to translate whatever sinclaire has to offer/say. :)
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I would learn french but my brain is already overloaded with dutch, a very complex language and english + american slang.

Same with german, those languages are still on my want ot learn list though.
MeraK

Post by MeraK »

Magnifique boulot/Nice work sinclaire :wink:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Forum Topic We Stole For OTAR-EVAMP Developement

Link to wiki page set-up for OTAR-EVAMP Developement

Personally, I tried to make units but found it rediculousely hard and gave up... if the new model format isn't any easier to deal with I'm probably just gonna give up.

Probably should be separated from the "OTA Revamp" project idea which was to basically recreate the spirit of OTA but with completely from scratch balancing and all new units...
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Min3mat wrote:well atari don't even seem to know about this so who cares?
I care.

Spring could become a large player in RTS land.
ATARI can't control Spring and people playing Spring are not buying games form them, so it's very understandable that they will try to kill off this project someway.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Tim Blokdijk wrote:
Min3mat wrote:well atari don't even seem to know about this so who cares?
I care.

Spring could become a large player in RTS land.
ATARI can't control Spring and people playing Spring are not buying games form them, so it's very understandable that they will try to kill off this project someway.
OK, cool down people: one step at a time please. Since there's no consensus about how to re-do the new factions/units, the good unit-makers among us should rather do what SJ is asking; seeing the nicer units in Spring will be an extra motivation to completely revamp the game. Besides, It'll be easier to start from scratch when we have the new unit format.
Benito

Post by Benito »

Yay, Sinclaire has discovered Spring! If this partnership doesn't result in many high quality models, I don't know what will...

Bonjour et bienvenue!

Atari could never completely shut down Spring, but if they decided to wield their corporate might, we might all end up playing with TLL vs Rumad.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

sinclaire wrote:Bonjour je ne parle pas l'anglais ...
Bonjour et bienvenue. Je ne parle pas français, aussi.
Mais nous pouvons utiliser cette page pour les aider à traduire:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

But we can use that page to help us translate:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Return to “News”