Spring 0.80.2 (MAKE IT HAPPEN) released - Page 4

Spring 0.80.2 (MAKE IT HAPPEN) released

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
Jazcash

Re: Spring 0.80.2 (MAKE IT HAPPEN) released

Post by Jazcash »

Auswaschbar wrote: No, I just don't care. I am actively helping both springlobby and qtlobby, why should I care about a lobby I cannot use anyway?

I cared once ago, until Satirik made those, uhm, lets call them mistakes.
If you feel that way, then why not remove it from the installer completely? It'd be much better to have no option for TAS Client install rather than an install to a buggy version.

You have two choices. You either update the installer version to 0.50 or remove it. GO!
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

I actually thought about swapping it with qtlobby in the installer. But I didn't do it because I could somehow see the shitstorm coming, so I just left it as it was.
smoth

Post by smoth »

ChaosMonkey wrote:new update = tasclient isnt working for me anymore
and
cant play with jazcash cos he desyncs every game now

pls dont try to update spring again.. ever

stop blaming the devs for user error.
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

JAZCASH wrote:
Auswaschbar wrote: No, I just don't care. I am actively helping both springlobby and qtlobby, why should I care about a lobby I cannot use anyway?

I cared once ago, until Satirik made those, uhm, lets call them mistakes.
If you feel that way, then why not remove it from the installer completely? It'd be much better to have no option for TAS Client install rather than an install to a buggy version.

You have two choices. You either update the installer version to 0.50 or remove it. GO!
this makes sense. the newest version is easily available and works very well. why hate tasclient when so many players would rather use it?

im also trying to figure out whats causing my desyncs. jaz if you figure out whats causing yours, let me know? thx
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

smoth wrote:stop blaming the devs for user error.
It's a dev error to refuse to update TASClient in the installer and leave a version they now to be broken, driving away tons of user, for the express purpose of tainting Satirik reputation.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

zwzsg wrote:
smoth wrote:stop blaming the devs for user error.
It's a dev error to refuse to update TASClient in the installer and leave a version they now to be broken, driving away tons of user, for the express purpose of tainting Satirik reputation.
It's a user error to think the express purpose is tainting Satirik's reputation. (Or even to think it is on purpose at all...)

It's a user error to think we refuse to update TASClient.

It's a user error no one reported in mantis during the week long test period that TASClient is outdated in the installer.

Just submit a patch on mantis with exact instructions where to get the latest and how to modify the installer so it works and see what happens.
reivanen

Post by reivanen »

One simple request:

Make spring use ONLY a data dir and an user working directory. Currently it puts things all over the filesystem and registry which is really annoying clutter and a mess.

The data directory (where spring,lobbies,springsettings and springdownloader is installed) should be read only and the user directory is where writing should happen. All settings, maps, mods, paths and temporary working files of the engine, lobbies, springsettings&springdownloader should be written to the user directory.

This would also bring the benefit of eliminating problems due to admin privileges. Only eg. lobby updating or possible future spring engine updating would require the administrative permissions if they are installed in eg. program files

Then there should also be an option during install that would make spring work in "portable mode" so the spring data dir is used as working dir also and _nothing else_ would be touched by spring related stuff then install directory

Here are some places cluttered after installing current spring:

hidden directory: c:\programdata\spring\
hidden directory: c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\springlobby
hidden directory: c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\springsettings
directory: c:\users\username\documents\spring
numerous registry entries
archivemover throws all files to: c:\users\username\documents\my games\spring\

Why is this necessary? iirc this has been requested over and over again and to me it does not seem like a big task for a developer.

Thanks.
Last edited by reivanen on 23 Aug 2009, 01:38, edited 2 times in total.
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Metal produced (and probably energy produced also) chart is still buged. It needs to be reset when game actually starts so we don't get 0 point at 20K -.-
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Spring does not use the registry, neither does springlobby.

Spring uses your documents dir for reading content. If its installation dir is not writable, it also uses it for writing stuff. Same goes for springlobby. Archivemover moves stuff to your documents folder.

Also, what do you think is the portable archive for?

To summarize: none of your complains is actually true
lurker

Post by lurker »

Installing = registry entries, that's how it works. Spring itself doesn't use any registry entries at all, but filetype associations are registry, archive mover needs that to be run, uninstall info gets noted there, etc. Tasclient leaves registry entries all over, but it's not a suggested lobby.

Springlobby and springsettings are not spring, so they have their own settings folders in appdata. That could be changed, of course, but appdata is where user settings belong.

Spring does write to the folder in documents if you do a default install.

Isn't a portable download better than a portable installer option?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

lurker wrote:Isn't a portable download better than a portable installer option?
Like the one I posted 2 pages earlier? But sure, I will copypaste for you:
http://springrts.com/dl/spring_0.80.2.7z
reivanen

Post by reivanen »

Auswaschbar wrote:Spring does not use the registry, neither does springlobby.

Spring uses your documents dir for reading content. If its installation dir is not writable, it also uses it for writing stuff. Same goes for springlobby. Archivemover moves stuff to your documents folder.

Also, what do you think is the portable archive for?

To summarize: none of your complains is actually true
If none of them are true, then please, tell me how to manage what i want to do since i clearly am too noob to figure it out myself:

1.install spring to program files (x86)\spring\ which is read only if not as admin
2.have all user content like springs settings, maps, mods, paths, demos, screenshots and temporary files in username\home\spring\ folder which is read-write even as not admin
3.get springdownloader without installing tasclient which clutters up registry
4.make archivemover put the files to username\home\spring\ and not documents\my games\spring\
5.prevent the creation of the directory my documents\spring\
Last edited by reivanen on 23 Aug 2009, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

reivanen wrote:1.install spring to program files (x86)\spring\ which is read only if not as admin
2.have all user content like springs settings, maps, mods, paths, demos, screenshots and temporary files in username\home\spring\ folder which is read-write even as not admin
Just do as described
reivanen wrote:3.get springdownloader without installing tasclient which clutters up registry
I am not sure (and I don't want to spread wrong rumors) but I think thats not possible. Also, iirc, springdownloader does not support writing to Documents folder (or has that changed?).
reivanen wrote:4.make archivemover put the files to username\home\spring\ and not documents\my games\spring\
That is not possible. Also, since when does windows have home folders??? :?:
reivanen

Post by reivanen »

Auswaschbar wrote:
reivanen wrote:1.install spring to program files (x86)\spring\ which is read only if not as admin
Just do as described
reivanen wrote:3.get springdownloader without installing tasclient which clutters up registry
I am not sure (and I don't want to spread wrong rumors) but I think thats not possible. Also, iirc, springdownloader does not support writing to Documents folder (or has that changed?).
reivanen wrote:4.make archivemover put the files to username\home\spring\ and not documents\my games\spring\
That is not possible. Also, since when does windows have home folders??? :?:
Once more to be as clear as possible:

What i did:

1. Install spring to program files (x86)\spring uncheckin the lobbies (so i install only spring and nothing bundled)

What it did that i wanted:
1. Created program files (x86)\spring and installed spring there

What it did that i did not want:
1. Created c:\programdata\spring\
2. Created c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\springsettings
3. Created c:\users\username\documents\spring
4. Created c:\users\username\documents\my games\spring

What i could not accomplish:
1. Make spring use the directory username\home\spring\ as user environment
2. Make archivemover move maps and mods to username\home\spring\
3. Install springdownloader without being forced to install tasclient

So what should i do to make it work like i wanted ?

Manually finding a download link to springdownloader should fix one of the probems, but the rest i have no clue.

If some of these are not possible, then those are the points i tried to ask for in my first post.
Last edited by reivanen on 23 Aug 2009, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Auswaschbar wrote:
lurker wrote:Isn't a portable download better than a portable installer option?
Like the one I posted 2 pages earlier? But sure, I will copypaste for you:
http://springrts.com/dl/spring_0.80.2.7z
...I was talking to him about the portable download.
reivanen wrote:1. Created c:\programdata\spring\
Bug, fixed.
reivanen wrote:2. Created c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\springsettings
It's its own app, you want it to share a config folder, that makes sense, but the way it is right now does too.
reivanen wrote:3. Created c:\users\username\documents\spring
Bug, fixed.
reivanen wrote:4. Created c:\users\username\documents\my games\spring
This is the default location for your files. What do you suggest it does?
reivanen wrote:1. Make spring use the directory username\home\spring\ as user environment
But username IS your home folder, you have a folder called "home" inside of it?
But just put springdata=that folder in the spring config file (in local appdata)
reivanen wrote:2. Make archivemover move maps and mods to username\home\spring\
It's a tiny junk app, I don't think you can configure it.
reivanen wrote:3. Install springdownloader without being forced to install tasclient
Go to its homepage, caspring.org
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

I use TASClient very seldomly myself, but anyone can make sure the following file in springs source will serve an up-to-date version of it:
installer/sections/tasclient.nsh
if you update it, and it works, we will include it.

as i have no idea about Lua, someone else has to merge the following two versions of minimap_startbox.lua.
As i got it, that is what is needed, right?

zwzsg's version (29. July 2009):
http://springrts.com/phpbb/download/file.php?id=2060

jk's version (1. August 2009):
http://springrts.pastebin.com/m4436d147
(sidenote: please note the springrts in above's link ;-) )
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I made you a merge, but then I (accidentally) deleted it.

Anyway, I can't replicate the bug. Using jk's version (1. August 2009): I deleted my \LuaUI\Config\ played a game with fixed postion, the "MiniMap Start Boxes" didn't show in the F11 list (so far like I had noticed). The next game I played choose pos, and it re-appeared, but as green. Either something changed between 0.79 and 0.80.2, either I was mistaken in the first place.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Hacked wrote: this makes sense. the newest version is easily available and works very well. why hate tasclient when so many players would rather use it?

im also trying to figure out whats causing my desyncs. jaz if you figure out whats causing yours, let me know? thx
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20007
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

echelonbx wrote:when version for unbuntu linux ?
2 days ago.
mongus

Post by mongus »

Auswaschbar wrote:I actually thought about swapping it with qtlobby in the installer. But I didn't do it because I could somehow see the shitstorm coming, so I just left it as it was.
Why even thinking of removing a functional, very mature, popular, good client for spring?

There is a big userbase for tasclient.

In opinion of many, its the best lobby there is atm.

so why would you remove it?

just bc you personally dont like it?

its like chopping a leg from spring..

Please, give some reason, as i really dont understand why would you want to remove it at all, and wont like to see it removed for next releases with no warning.

do we have to make a petittion? a poll or something?

edit:
lurker wrote:Yes, let's make a petition for something that was never going to happen.
well he is the head developper, and he is suggesting that.. so its quite possible he can make it happen.
Last edited by mongus on 23 Aug 2009, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”