New version, 0.60b1 - Page 2

New version, 0.60b1

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
SJ

Post by SJ »

I dont want to install a new OS just to see if it works or not though, so someone that already have 98/ME will have to fix it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

ME is a horrible Operating system. Windows 98 is 7 years old and both are nowhere near as stable as 2000+. 2000 can be upgraded to from 98 and looks almost the same but with a lot more XP similar controls, it runs on the same specs as 98 & ME and supports more software. It's more secure, has better networking, and a lot of XP only programs will at least start on 2000 whereas they wont on 98 or ME.

So unless your gonna reformat and install from afresh, you can just upgrade instead of re-install. Already Microsoft doesn't support 98 with its latest software save the odd thing like Messenger and directx updates.

Besides, I wouldnt think that 98 or Millenium would be running on any system capable of running spring.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Actually Alantai I for example do have XP installed at the moment, but I´m running Spring on a Duron 700 Mhz, and it definetly did have 98 SE running on it a while ago :D .
oso

Post by oso »

Windows Vista is coming soon.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I heard from betanews.com that it can detect a crash upto 24 hours before it happens and warns you.

due out late 2006
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

:shock:
well it causes the crashes it better predict them ;)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

however, it has to be said... Windows Vista sux.
Why would I want to know that my computer will crash in 1 hour? I dont want it to crash at all.
I dont want it to tell me every time I turn on the computer.
And who the hell realy wants a desktop tahts 3d? Its pointless blote. And you'll require a hell of a system to run it well.

Rant rant, BTW, Pring rules this new version is very cool, thanks soooo much SY's

aGorm
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

3D desktop! :shock: i take it back! Vista rocks! Vista FOREVER! :D SOOoooo futuristic! 3D desktop yeay!!!!
Gunthahaha

Post by Gunthahaha »

So, it will be impossible to make wallpapers, as before, or we can choose between a 2D and a 3D desktop? :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No no no, Vista would eb able to use XP style visual styles or 9x style visual styles, aswell as vista styles aka XP but with 3D rendered buttons rather than bitmap buttons.

As for warning about crashes, maybe its so that it gives us a starting point from which we work to fix it so the crash never occurs?

Anyways just turn it off, and yah ncie new version, cant wait for the next.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I've got a silly question :

What did you exept to have in/for the next big version?
Me :
* hope I will have fixed the newGUI ^^
*Scars and track for everybody.
*Some AI.
*The battleroom from Ace anc Coryrc.
At this stage, spring is gona _really_ rox.

I really don't know the amount of work to have a new unit format, so, I don't exept it before 3 month...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

zaphod seems to be making leaps and bounds with his skirmish AI so not much longer to wait =D
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

People like myself who use win2k will need to go xp soon because IE7.0 will only work on XP so it looks like Microsoft are about to stop supporting win 2k/pro completely, which is a bit of a shame, as Alantai pointed out, its secure and in my case almost never crashes. :cry:
One downside is it lacks some system utilities found in 98, me, and xp.
For those running win2k go here and download startup control panel or hang your heads in shame :-) .
http://www.mlin.net/
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Its your own fault. If you want IE 7.0 SO much, then change.

Its not like there arent other browsers....
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

mmm...fireyfoxey :) still getting Vista though! :twisted: 3D desktop :D
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Well, i see some cool features in the preview (i much more like the new mixer that enables different volumes per application, and not per output channel, globally in the OS ).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If you have XP stick with ti or upgrade to vista, not really much difference yet, and the new GUI for vista already has a tech demo out that's vista AND XP compatible, it wont have all the new features though just the vista UI.

If you have 2000, keep it, you can upgrade to vista but not really much point. IE 7? Use FireFox!

If you have anything made before 2000 I strongly urge you to upgrade to 2000 or later if your system supports it. Pretty much anything that runs 95 98 or ME can run 2000, and 2000 supports all the newer XP stuff mostly, crashes a lot less than anything before it, and is a lot more secure. Among other speed improvements.

Also the new filesystem for vista, wont be available when vista's released, btu when ti is released will be compatible with both XP and Vista.

Vista also has a much more intelligent update and network system that should be a lot better than XP and what came before it.
mongus

Post by mongus »

Back to torrasque question...

Something that is really missing is a good third party (community) mod.
a stable one. (yes, taking ota aside, im mean the new balance/units mods).

all that you said is very desirable too.

pd: and a mutator!
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

omething that is really missing is a good third party (community) mod.
a stable one. (yes, taking ota aside, im mean the new balance/units mods).
M3TA :)
any volunteers? :)
genblood

Post by genblood »

Windows Vista is going to be much better when it comes out
around Dec. 2006. Just in time for XMAS ... :lol: :lol:

Right now its a beta version ... It has bugs, but they will be
fix ... In the long run Microsoft has done a good job.

I use WindowsXP Pro for my main OS and I prefer Gentoo
2005.0 for my linux distro ..

Bottom line ... Windows Vista ... will kick butt when its
RELEASED .... :shock:

Return to “News”