New lobby server lead - Page 2

New lobby server lead

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
ginekolog

Re: New lobby server lead

Post by ginekolog »

thanx guys for your work, i hope u learned some valuable leassons for future life
joelharkes

Post by joelharkes »

wheer to download this lobyy or is spring still down?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

git clone git://springlobby.info/git/aegis/uberserver.git

will get you you the new server, needs python; no docs available at this time
Agon

Post by Agon »

Is the new server written in python or only modules/addins/plugins or so?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

entirely python
Agon

Post by Agon »

[quote="koshi"]entirely python[/quote]
Waaahhh, from Java to Python are we going backwards?
Good is, I don't need to run it :P.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

All benchmarks have shown that uberserver performs several orders of magnitude faster, so I don't think you need to worry about that.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Python is usually only several times slower than Java, much less of a loss than several tens or hundreds of times speedup architectural and algorithmic improvements can give. And don't forget that Python is several times faster to write in.

BTW nothing stopping anyone from writing yet another lobby server in their language of choice, heterogeneity is a good thing.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Python is ideal for this kind of thing anyway
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

TASServer had numerous architectural issues thwarting it in the speed department, as do the programs written using the same design such as tasclient and chanserv. Betalord always denied this despite statistics from early cookiebot tests back when cookiebot was a hacked chanserv.

Modifying the architecture from chanserv style to a new design changed average cpu usage from 99% to 0.01%. Chanserv does not exhibit this behaviour as it is used less often and spikes are averaged out by inactivity.

Regardless of the language used, this is not the issue. Instead, uber servers main benefits are an active maintainer, a vastly superior design/architecture, and greater expandability, among other protocol changes and improvements betalord was unwilling to make.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Betalord is long gone. Must you still ridicule him? (regardless of justification)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Oh if I wished to ridicule betalord I would ridicule betalord himself, I'm simply explaining the advantages of uberserver and why things are getting so much better now yet how language isn't the only change.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

[quote="AF"]Betalord always denied this despite statistics from early cookiebot tests back when cookiebot was a hacked chanserv.[/quote]

[quote="AF"]betalord was unwilling to make.[/quote]

Your points could have been made without this, as any honorable person would have done, regardless of their like or dislike of Betalord, knowing that he was not here to give his side of the story.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I don't need to, betalord publicly denounced what I said about the difference in chanservs performance and insisted it was fine. You can find it in the forums if you go far back enough. I cited the bots architecture as the cause hence why I mentioned it, an architecture that at the time was shared by TASServer, which is slow. We know it is slow because uberserver is orders of magnitude faster.

And indeed betalord was unwilling to make many changes citing either lack of time or lack of need. An example being the "EXIT" command aegis added which was proposed to betalord, but betalord did not feel it was necessary. His reasoning being that the TCP time out issue was minor and insignificant and did not warrant a technical fix.

Now surely I am entitled to an opinion, and Im sure betalord is too, but that doesn't make it an insult.

Whereas if I wanted to attack betalords personal character TASServer and chanserv would not be my topics of choice. However I find it amusing that you of all people are willing to make leaps and assumptions and assume I'm attacking someone when I am not. Especially when a post such as your would have been better suited to a private message, especially considering your moderator status.
Betalord
Former Engine Dev

Post by Betalord »

I'm sorry for such a late reply, but better now than never :)

Due to personal reasons I couldn't continue working much on the lobby for last few months and also, I had a lack of motivation too. Spring was a great hobby, I did enjoy it much and I learned a lot too. TASServer was my first "bigger" java application. But as it is with all such hobbies, it takes a lot of time and energy and then comes a point where you just can't do this for ever :) So I wish aegis all well with developing new server, I'm sure he'll do a much better job than me! I will still be checking on Spring development and I hope to see you guys in a game some time :)

As for AF, I'm sure your code is much better, I'm sorry if we had some "technical" disagreements on the way, but I don't want any hard feelings left behind. I wish you all well with your projects too, if you want to use any of my java code and improve upon it, feel free to! :)

Take care,
Betalord
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Good luck Betalord, thanks for all you did for spring! :-)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I know we've had our differences in the past but you've been alright and I don't really have anything against you, and I wouldn't want to leave things soured. You arrived and fixed the horrible lobby system in the early days when it was much needed and now its aegis turn to revolutionize things again.

Good Luck!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Don't be a stranger!

Return to “News”