Downtime incoming. (probably)

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Fnordia (our current webadmin/server host) is going to be moving sometime in early march. Effectively this means that our primary server will be getting unplugged and moved to a different location, so until internet is set up at that location there will be no box to server our site (estimate 1 week or longer).

It should be relatively easy to find a backup lobby server to pitchhit while our primary server is down, but running a backup for the site and forums is a little more difficult. We'll be trying to preserve as much functionality as we can manage, but the worst case scenario is that we lose our home site for a while, just so everyone has a heads up.

Anyways, wish Fnord a happy and successful move and offer him shiny trinkets to get the site back up as quickly as possible! :-)
AF
AI Developer

Re: Downtime incoming. (probably)

Post by AF »

I'll host the DNS with a backup page explaining whats happened and where to download spring if you want ^_^
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Hell ye, take up that unused bandwidth AF always bitches about. :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

My babies are covered in unused bandwidth, somebody help me! Think of the children!!!!
aegis

Post by aegis »

i could host the lobby server if nobody else is willing

and any of us with shared hosting providers can give fnordia a spot to permanently host this site as well
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

AF wrote:I'll host the DNS with a backup page explaining whats happened and where to download spring if you want ^_^
Probably a good idea, we also need a host for the installer since it links to spring.clan-sy as it's file host. I don't think the installer alone is that big a bandwidth hog though.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If you could contact me about the details for hosting it all, I can arrange something tomorrow morning (11:20pm here). The installer files can all be uploaded to darkstars as is using the new file host stuff, though I assume there's some config file somewhere that'll need accommodating.

Someone else will need to sort out a backup server for taspringbattlemaster.clan-sy.com however as my host explicitly forbids running java server and bots, one of the few restrictions I have.
aegis

Post by aegis »

i could host the lobby server if nobody else is willing
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

AF wrote:If you could contact me about the details for hosting it all, I can arrange something tomorrow morning (11:20pm here). The installer files can all be uploaded to darkstars as is using the new file host stuff, though I assume there's some config file somewhere that'll need accommodating.
There is a redirect.php file that controls the load balancing. I could probably set it up if I got a limited user ssh access.
smoth

Post by smoth »

as always, my forum is there for moders/devs/content creators.
OvermindDL1

Post by OvermindDL1 »

If you have not figured out something to do for that missing week, I have near a terabyte of unused space and even more bandwidth unused on my webserver. If you wish I can give you a subdomain like spring.overminddl1.com (or you can point your main spring.clan-sy.com to the dns server my server uses and I can give you a space to do with what you wish during the move). I can host the site, forums (mysql if that is what you use for a DB), etc... while your move is in progress. Just do a straight copy of the db and copy it back when done to keep it all updated (I can expose the db server and a scheme for spring to any of your specific IP's that you wish so you can use something quick like mysql administrator to do the copy). And I should have enough bandwidth to host your files for a week (I have a few terabytes of bandwidth I can use a month, so assuming you do not use too much; the connection is a shared OC-128) if you really wish, although mirrors are still preferred. I play this game enough, figure I could do something in return, thus if you want this then get a hold of me, I will try to check this topic a few times over the next few days, else email me at my username at gmail dot com or my username at overminddl1.com.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I think we are mostly set, but you could help with this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14101
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Is the DNS for the lobby being redirected so no one has to make any changes, or will people have to switch the lobby server address?
MightySheep

Post by MightySheep »

none of those website addresses get me on spring they suck.

Return to “News”