Spring 0.76b1 release

Spring 0.76b1 release

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Spring 0.76b1 release

Post by Tobi »

A bit late for a christmas present, but here it is anyway: Spring 0.76b1

An incredible amount of changes made it's way into this release of Spring. To name just one, the installer now allows you to download various mods and maps during the install process. Because of this, there also is no updating installer available anymore: you can use the same installer to upgrade your 0.75b2 install or to do a fresh full install.

Please thank all people who have contributed to this Spring release:
Betalord, LordMatt (pimped the installer), Auswaschbar (full network code rewrite!), koshi (new settings.exe), KDR_11k, Satirik (TASClient), Kloot, Victor, trepan (our LUA master), submarine (AAI), lurker, Belmakor, tombom (changelog guru), imbaczek, FLOZi, ILM_Titan, Exit_Wound, tc-, jcnossen, yuritch, jK, BrainDamage, qknight, rattle, AF, malric, pbrook, wcspxyz and semi.

Additionally thanks to everyone who helped with the (not so) weekly testing! Especially the last week this was really necessary to get rid of the last major bugs.

As always, source code is available too, either in a .tar.bz2 (for Linux users only) or in a .zip (for Windows users only). It is, however, recommended to check out the source from our SVN repository if you want to do any serious development on it.

Notes:

- When using the new settings.exe (possibly from the installer), it may ask you a question about where to find unitsync.dll. In this case, browse to your Spring folder and select unitsync.dll. After that, I will work (and keep working).

- By selecting the mods XTA or BA in the installer you are legally required to own the original total annihilation game. The other mods are free of such content, and can be selected any time.

- If you get error: missing default cursor after you downloaded a mod, download this archive, unzip it, and put the 3 files inside in C:\Program Files\Spring\base\ (or wherever you installed Spring). Remember that you may only legally do this if you own the original total annihilation game. If you don't own it, you have to play only mods that don't give this error.

- settings.exe simple mode sets ground decals to insanely high values. Use only expert mode, and make sure Ground decals on the Render details tab is set to 1. Anything higher will just cost you (a huge amount) of frames per second.
Agon

Re: Spring 0.76b1 release

Post by Agon »

Thanks a lot.

Rpm packages on the way (Currently building)
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

well done! thanks to everyone who helped.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Win!
Mars

Post by Mars »

Win and awesome!
unze

Post by unze »

Awesome x10000, thank you!
Agon

Post by Agon »

rpms done for openSuse.

Here the first crash for 0.76b1: http://paste.uni.cc/17991

And the second: http://paste.uni.cc/17992
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

nice work

i've updated the linux setup wiki (installing from source) with libboost-serialization-dev dependency, someone might check if there's anything else new (and if this is even correct)
(ubuntu 7.04)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

massive thankyou to all involved for keeping spring going :)
Betalord
Former Engine Dev

Post by Betalord »

There were a few protocol changes, nothing much. All listed here:
http://spring.clan-sy.com:8202/lobby/pr ... iption.xml

Also with next release we will transfer all account to database (this was planned for this release but we ran out of time), so the web interface currently doesn't work for "current" accounts but it uses some temp copy of accounts.txt that was transfered to the database a week ago or so. Not really important in general, just for the moderators I guess ( but just so that you'll know that "renew" thing has to do with it and if you try to renew your account now, the change won't be permanent as the database will get reset with next release anyway).
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Agon wrote:
Here the first crash for 0.76b1: http://paste.uni.cc/17991

And the second: http://paste.uni.cc/17992
Both of those appear to be KAIK's fault.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Hmm stacktrace not working? Or is it just one of those weird random bugs where it doesn't work?
rcdraco

Post by rcdraco »

What?

Why did you release without better support for dual cores and 8 series nvidias?

Quiet frankly, I'm dissapointed, since it won't run on my pc since I got the pentium D and 8600GT. Please add support for these before the next update.
tombom

Post by tombom »

rcdraco wrote:What?

Quiet frankly, I'm dissapointed, since it won't run on my pc since I got the pentium D and 8600GT. Please add support for these before the next update.
Have you tried it? Maybe it does run better on 8 series nvidias.

Demanding stuff from a free project isn't going to get you anywhere.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Wow, quote is broke.

I can't find the first batch of CEG opcodes in the changelog, they've been there earlier. Did I overlook them?
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

So, when can we expect ubuntu debs?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Woooo awesome!

Much thanks to all the contributors.

Go away and take your demanding idiocy with you, eh? It runs fine with a pentium D - you just need to tell spring.exe to run on a single core.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Already?

Darn, I was that >< close to have a broken KP in this release. Yesterday (technically today early morning), just before going to bed, I decided to test the new installer thing. And found out that due to files having being renamed, KP eviless was crashing. Quickly PM'ed LordMatt and went to bed. And today, I boot up my PC, and 76b1 is already here!
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

I have a Core2Duo and a Nvidia 8800GTS 320 on Windows Vista and I run Spring with no problems. (Okay, technically I used to have one small graphical oddity where planes would get surrounded by a gray square when zoomed out but I believe it no longer occurs.)
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Thx a lot for this release, the changelog is impressive.

btw, I've no trouble with my AMD x2 4400.

Return to “News”