Spring 0.76b1 release - Page 2

Spring 0.76b1 release

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
submarine
AI Developer

Re: Spring 0.76b1 release

Post by submarine »

I just wanted to thank all the spring engine devs for the hard work in the last few days/weeks ....
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

tunafish wrote:So, when can we expect ubuntu debs?
Give me about 12 hours to straighten everything out.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Yokozar: as a quick heads up, as far as I remember, I don't think any major things that may affect the Linux build have changed, apart from a new dependency here or there (boost serialization and ogg/vorbis IIRC). For the rest it should be a matter of a recompile I think.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Sooo... whose going to implement a dynamic music playing LUA first?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

And the CEGTag this way comes...

Awesome job guys, but I got a TASClient.exe and Settings.exe crash immediately post-install.

EDIT: Aww shit, settings.exe refuses to run...

Meh...it seems unitsync.dll is broken???
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

the technical changes are amazing, and will no doubt stimulate even greater mod development. unfortunately, and I know this is boring; you're still plagued by newbie-defeating crash bugs. spring is so close to being the definitive, all encompassing, world ruling, RTS engine, i think, if you can just get it stable. the new installer is a great step in the right direction for encouraging new players. however, once when players crash again after 2 hours of epic struggle, or even instantly when trying their first game, you will lose them to some commercial c*ck. a shame!
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Ok, everything works after a reinstall. This thing is IMPRESSIVE to say the least. Awesome work everyone!
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Smiff wrote:the technical changes are amazing, and will no doubt stimulate even greater mod development. unfortunately, and I know this is boring; you're still plagued by newbie-defeating crash bugs. spring is so close to being the definitive, all encompassing, world ruling, RTS engine, i think, if you can just get it stable. the new installer is a great step in the right direction for encouraging new players. however, once when players crash again after 2 hours of epic struggle, or even instantly when trying their first game, you will lose them to some commercial c*ck. a shame!
Well most people have no trouble. Also this is not the place to report crash bugs (to those other who were) report those on Mantis if you want hope of them getting fixed.
Radtoo

Post by Radtoo »

Awesome work again!
Relative

Post by Relative »

Great job to the dev team and thanks to YokoZar for the speedy update to the ubuntu repository.
mr sharpoblunto

Post by mr sharpoblunto »

Great work guys, though I just thought I'd point out that the Lobby server on the downloads page is out of date, If you try to connect to it from TASClient 0.36 you get an unsupported version message. would someone please be able to update this :)
Makhoaay

Post by Makhoaay »

I'm glad you still release new versions of Spring but...
The only thing I dislike is that you seem to forget about Win98 users. I mean, when I try to launch settings.exe, I now get a "wxWindgets Fatal Error" window which tells me : "This program uses Unicode and requires Windows NT/2000/XP. Program aborted.". Fortunately, I still have my old settings, so I don't need to change anything right now... But will I have to go into the registry if I need to make some modifications ? Can't you fix it ?
Merci :)
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

For the love of god, update Win98. To XP. To Vista. To Linux.

I personally think Spring should stop caring about Win98. I mean seriously WTF; its been over ten years now.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

We stopped caring about it years ago :-)
I don't think any dev has a way to test on W98 anyway...

That said, if you want it fixed and you can make a patch that doesn't break stuff on non-prehistoric operating systems, I wouldn't mind committing it.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

REVENGE wrote:And the CEGTag this way comes...
I like how the feature most people are excited about is a graphical one while there were craptons of gameplay-related things added...
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Makhoaay wrote: Can't you fix it ?
Merci :)

I could, but that would mean i'd have to distribute two different builds of springsettings along with two different sets of dll package. That has a) no place in the installer and b) (sorry to say that) no one in his right mind still uses an os that does not support unicode. win 2000 isn't much of a performance eater compared to 98 and much more stable. you could also try a linux distribution with a leightweight windowmanager like xubuntu.

If you really, really, really cannot let go of win98 you can always build springsettings from source on your machine. getting that to work though might be more of a hassle than win2k install :P

[edit: why is bbcode off?]
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

No clue, I've turned it on in all messages in this thread that require it, will take a look int he admin panel now.
Peace

Post by Peace »

Oh, the year starts good! :)
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Updated successfully with the update manager (had to do it twice though, because the first time some package wanted to overwrite something else).

And the unknown-files.net server is griefing me and not letting me download anything :/.

Other than that, the game is looking awesome! (Once figured out. The newbie intro could use some polishing)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am having internet sex with you right now, thanks!

Return to “News”