New version, 0.50b2

New version, 0.50b2

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

New version, 0.50b2

Post by Fnordia »

There was a bug in the previous version that made certain units impossible to kill, which has prompted us to release an update to fix this. The new version also contains a very simple singleplayer mode, where units will spawn at a random position and attack the player. What units will appear can be configured in the file spawn.txt. The changelog can be found here for those interested.

If you already have installed the old version, you only need to download the small core files download and install it on top of your old installation, since no content has changed in this version.

You will need to update to the latest version to be able to connect to the multiplayer server.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

cool idea about the single player. It also propts an idea for multi player, wherein a few players have a fortifyed position while swarms of units constantly attempt to over run them in a ever incressing hord. Death is certin, but how long can you stave it off?
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

The random enemies script is literaly impossible to win in. After about 30seconds you are usually out.

If the enemys waited about five mins before spawning troops, maybe we would have a chance against it.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Storm made a new wiggy that make's it realy much more fun. Less brawlers in your face, more A.K's and Pewee's rushing you after a few miunuts. Eventualy the list gose all the way to Krogoth's but i havent lasted that long yet. Prbebly cause i SUCK!
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Linky? :-)
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Found it on Fileuniverse.
munch

Thanks + Link

Post by munch »

Thanks for the basic AI - brilliant to have something to mess around with. I gotta say I love the High Trajectory (HT) option too - please don't retract this. Try some plasma cannons inside your start point on Core Prime Industrial Area - this is how artillery should look =) Seriously I've been missing the option to go HT ever since I started playing OTA all those years ago. One of the nice things is that your enemy doesn't get to see the first shot arrive until there are several in the air already. Neither does he get a very good indication of the direction the shot came from (assuming it's reasonably close by).

Anyway, I digress - just in case there are other people wanting the AI link:

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?page=listing&ID=104

However if you edit the "spawn.txt" file yourself, you can see that it's not rocket science! The main point is that there are now baddies who come and find you =) Thanks guys for implementing this.

Cheers

Munch

PS where can I find map4 - so many of the test scripts rely on it and I don't have it? (I know I know so many topics in one post)
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

I changed that spawn file to spawn A LOT of Fleas... Even using the Final Frontier fleet, I was barely able to contain those... like..... three thousand fleas... and then I did an awful thing... I changed the script to spawn KROGOTHS............. My comp got bogged down before the two Krog hordes that started further away (tested on Comet Catcher) reached my base... But the battle of the Frontier Fleet against the 700+ Krogs was probably the most destructive (and slow) battle that I've ever seen.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Now if wee could have TWO teams of random units, so taht they fight each other we can have.....

Flea V Krogoth Bowl! With your side whatching and liberaly adding a few nuklear weapoins to the fray!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The latest spring version contains the .pe and .pe2 of the maps. Isn't it a huge waste of megabytes, since Spring.exe can recreate them?

Return to “News”