Spring 0.75b1 release - Page 3

Spring 0.75b1 release

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

KDR_11k wrote:Is it possible that TargetBorder only applies to the XZ distance?
It very well may; there's quite some hackery in spring's targetting code which involves GetRange2D. If you want better vertical behaviour, try increasing CylinderTargetting.

I'll investigate TargetBorder when I find some free time (maybe this week.)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

imbaczek wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:Is it possible that TargetBorder only applies to the XZ distance?
It very well may; there's quite some hackery in spring's targetting code which involves GetRange2D. If you want better vertical behaviour, try increasing CylinderTargetting.
Yes but the default is spheric targetting now. Strange since the usual policy for any new tags is to default them to the old behaviour.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

i want the old version back. its alot more stable.

rollback?
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Spawn_Retard wrote:i want the old version back. its alot more stable.

rollback?
seconded. This version just isn't playable right now, and most of the new features will take time to take advantage of anyway.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Spawn_Retard wrote: rollback?
I think we need to do it. We should get spring back to a playable state at first. Then try to fix the bugs.

EDIT:
Ok, i just read that there is already a patch witch can be used with the 0.75b release, so lets test this first i think.
Last edited by very_bad_soldier on 16 Jul 2007, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

its plenty playable, this happens every release, just think of it as a few days of beta testing with everyone.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Rollback would be death IMHO, since I'm sure no one would get off their lazy arse to actually test 0.75b1 then :-)

Release 0.75b2 can be expected later this week.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Agreed, there's a lot of bugs that will never be found until the public has a chance to break all the new stuff. It's just the way software dev goes - unless you have a large, dedicated test team, then what can you do, eh? At least this way, everyone can fewel like they're doing their bit for Spring development!
argt

is there a server working with the previous version ?

Post by argt »

Hi guys and congratulations with the work. Trouble with new release is quite logical, especially when changes are numerous.
I'm trying to get some new people addicted to spring so I was wondering if there were still a server up compatible with the 0.74b3 version, which seems more stable and is therefore morelikely to attract new people.
Thanks.
Argh

Post by Argh »

No rollback, just find the bugs, people, and report them via Mantis. Help the programmers!

Truth be told, I had a feeling this was gonna happen- features kept getting added machinegun-fast, that huge patch showed up, etc... so I'm not surprised there are some hitches.

It matters not, though! The bugs will get fixed, with help from players- this is a very important version of Spring, and I'm very excited about it, having been running the prior builds up until a few days ago (so, er, I guess I'm to blame for the bugs- truth told, it was stable for me, in testing with AI, so... meh). Most game developers using Spring will be very, very pleased with the changelog- the number of new features is really quite large, and many of them are just plain awesome!
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

KDR_11k wrote:Yes but the default is spheric targetting now. Strange since the usual policy for any new tags is to default them to the old behaviour.
That is my policy too, may fear leave your heart. I'll look into it later this week (or at least try). If you could take a look at the mother of all TryTargets and see if there's anything obviously wrong in the meantime, I'll be grateful.

TBH all this GetRange2D that is there instead of your usual vector subtraction scares me a little, but I guess it's required so maxrange actually works as in TA. I'd get rid of it if it was my decision, but that would cause mostly pure suffering for little gains.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

I expected this. Last spring version spring was close to the level of unplayable with the b1 release, and with all the new features implemented this version of course theres going to be a "few" problems.
Relax, just wait for a week and let the devs fix the bugs. Better yet help them out and make error reports of your crashings. Argh posted the link to mantis, use that.
Peace

Post by Peace »

Peacy wubs you guys! :wink:
Betalord
Former Engine Dev

Post by Betalord »

Mag1cWalker wrote:When will be released new lobby server?
it's up now
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Argh is (of course) right. people should remember they are beta testers. maybe we need more signs informing them of this.
Tired

Post by Tired »

I know exactly where you can stick those signs, Zenk. =)

Point of fact, the community knows that it's beta testing, and if the feedback sent happens to be contained inside the format of a complaint, then suck it up and be happy that you're getting feedback at all. =P

Timeouts every 10 minutes on average ftw. Host crashes every 15, with sporadic odds of loading at all.
Viktor
Spring Developer

Post by Viktor »

Tobi was not write that save/load now works(Save/load in multiplayer untested).
But if you playing vs AI, AI must support save/load. Now only KAI 0.23(new unoficial version of KAI 0.2) supports save/load.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

KDR: your observation was correct - TargetBorder was broken wrt vertical distances. Fix submitted to mantis as #560.
L0223R

Post by L0223R »

does this release contain the upsampled ota sounds i did?

edit: after testing, seems not. please include this in 75b2.
Tired

Post by Tired »

Rapiers are bugged to Guard whatever they're attacking, btw.

Return to “News”