Spring Mark - Page 5

Spring Mark

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Locked
User avatar
jj
Posts: 273
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 19:03

Post by jj »

Harbinger wrote:JJ I like the idea of springmark as a way to avoid the problem of having a really slow player ruin a big game.
However, you need to improve it so that it takes RAM into account and gives more consistant scores.
you cant take ram into account, because you never know how many other programs are running at that moment...
happely most ppl have enough ram!
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Post by AF »

jj the same can be said about cpu usage.
Harbinger
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Mar 2007, 22:14

Post by Harbinger »

You would hope people arent running high cpu usage programs while playing spring...
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Post by AF »

spyware, malware, antivirus, firewalls, cpu temperature, Operating system actions, background processes, hardware events, and the fact most users arent tech saavy.
User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wait, what does the autokick do? What's wrong with autokick, we've been looking for options like that for a while...
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Post by AF »

It doesnt autokick ppl you dont liek ro who keep rejoining thats already there.

What this autokick does is boot you if your spring mark scores not higher than what the host wants.
User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Post by LOrDo »

jj, you realize everyone hates you now because youve brought this monster of a program into spring?
Just so you know.
User avatar
drolito
Posts: 358
Joined: 06 Feb 2007, 09:44

Post by drolito »

LOrDo wrote:jj, you realize everyone hates you now because youve brought this monster of a program into spring?
Just so you know.
Not every one : all players who haven't enough spring mark score :D
User avatar
Zydox
Lobby Developer
Posts: 453
Joined: 23 May 2006, 13:54

Post by Zydox »

drolito wrote:
LOrDo wrote:jj, you realize everyone hates you now because youve brought this monster of a program into spring?
Just so you know.
Not every one : all players who haven't enough spring mark score :D
Not true... I would assume that I have enough Spring Mark points (Intel Dual Core 2 2.67Ghz), but I still refuse to use Spring Mark... though I wouldn't say that I dislike jj... just his program :|
MelTraX
Posts: 470
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 16:18

Post by MelTraX »

I like the option to only allow people in your game that won't lag. It's the hosts game and he should be able to decide which players he wants. He doesn't need a reason to kick specs or newbies.. It's his game..

But I don't think the SpringMark results are good enough to decide if someone will lag or not.. When I ran it yesterday I got <300 points. JJ would kick me from all his games with that number.. The reason was that my CPU ran at half it's speed.. Having enough RAM and a good gfx card, I still wouldn't lag the game even if my CPU runs at half it's speed..

Now I've been thinking. The only good source for determining lagging is the lagging itself. I could include a statistic into IceUI that compares ping values and CPU usage (always relative to the average or minimum in the game) and save it into a file. With a simple batch (and shell script) file it could be syncronized with a server to build a lag database. This database could be only displayed ingame or integrated into the Lobby like SpringMark.

If you say that only few people use IceUI, I agree.. But one IceUI user in a game of 16 players would be enough to report the lag in that particular game so I don't think that's an issue. This could also be done as a standalone widget but I would prefer the results to be displayed in the Player Info window. The performance penalty would be minimal because it could be calculated each second or every 5 frames and it's just arithmetic with some small numbers.

Except for the lobby integration this could be setup in a few hours and I'm willing to do that. The question is: Do we want that? Does it discriminate against low end machines? Does it violate privacy (because you don't report your own values.. others report it for you)?

Something similar could be done to identify rage-quitters or people who attack allies, etc.. It wouldn't be much work but the questions above also apply..
User avatar
KDR_11k
Game Developer
Posts: 8293
Joined: 25 Jun 2006, 08:44

Post by KDR_11k »

jj wrote:
Harbinger wrote:JJ I like the idea of springmark as a way to avoid the problem of having a really slow player ruin a big game.
However, you need to improve it so that it takes RAM into account and gives more consistant scores.
you cant take ram into account, because you never know how many other programs are running at that moment...
happely most ppl have enough ram!
Pfft. I've bee playing games while having my whole load of dev tools open. That's no hurdle, that's what swap space is for.
User avatar
jj
Posts: 273
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 19:03

Post by jj »

AF wrote:If satirik adds autokick to his client I hope he's prepared to suffer the consequences. This is exacly why people objected to spring mark in the first place and it is the worst route you could go down jj.

Your nuking your own project JJ.
its so funny, a couple of months ago YOU was that guy with the idea of intergrate it into your lobby client!
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Post by AF »

Integrating spring mark != autokick feature for ppl with a low springmark result

Theres a very big difference there, one is immoral the other is not. I have explained why I wont be including springmark in AFLobby, especially since you never provided enough information for it to be done to begin with.



Meltrax, if you provided me with a lua widget that did that I would bundle it with aflobby and integrate within hours. A cross platform reliable setup like that is far more valuable. I'd say that calculating average ping and fps ingame and then averaging that with those already recorded would do the trick.
User avatar
jj
Posts: 273
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 19:03

Post by jj »

AF,

you can grab info for a lobby system info feature like this:
http://www.jobjol.com/lobby.php?players ... yers[1]=DC
MelTraX
Posts: 470
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 16:18

Post by MelTraX »

AF, I will implement that if the people flaming jj in this thread think it's a good idea.. I think it will be a better indicator than jjs CPU test but the question if we should do it in the first place is the same..
User avatar
jj
Posts: 273
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 19:03

Post by jj »

meltrax,

does every user need to use that lua script or only one per game?

/edit: what about ppl only playing small games, do they get a higher score? and ppl that play laggy speedmetal games, do they get a low score? i hope you have a solution for that, if so, i think it will get really usefull
User avatar
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer
Posts: 1164
Joined: 25 Sep 2006, 13:56

Post by BrainDamage »

record also the # of players, the # of units & the map....
MelTraX
Posts: 470
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 16:18

Post by MelTraX »

Only one per game would have to use it (and submit it if it should be accessable to all)..

I would substract the average lag from the game.. So the player lagging the least (except the host ofc) would be the basis of the calculation.. For example:

Team0: 000ms -> 000ms (Host)
Team1: 100ms -> 000ms (least lagging player)
Team2: 400ms -> 300ms (difference to above)
Team3: 250ms -> 150ms (same)

The same can be done for the CPU usage and both could be combined to some kind of Lag factor.. Or we can use both..

BrainDamage: That could also be done.. I don't know if it's enough to just do the above.. Some more votes? ;)
User avatar
Zydox
Lobby Developer
Posts: 453
Joined: 23 May 2006, 13:54

Post by Zydox »

jj wrote:AF,

you can grab info for a lobby system info feature like this:
http://www.jobjol.com/lobby.php?players ... yers[1]=DC
Hmm... isn't that kind of fubar... ?
Shouldn't the fields be separated by tabs and the different players by newline?
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Post by AF »

exactly, also the numerous fields dont make sense save the most obvious ones
Locked

Return to “Ingame Community”