Spring Mark - Page 14

Spring Mark

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

this mass U turn is quite fascinating
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

Cause of Paranoia

Any Extreme emotional, or physical damage in ones life.

Click here for info
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Interesting, Wikipedia has an entry with insufficiently supported assertions about a mental disorder which is not tagged with some complaint. I shall refrain from tagging it, it must stand as a monument as the only significant page the community of Wikipedia hasn't whined about.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

neddiedrow wrote:How many people is a violent autokick utility based on intrusive data capture by a third party going to chase away?
depends on how many hosts use the 'violent autokick'
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Satirik wrote:core2duo 1.8 = good cpu, athlon xp 1800 = bad cpu !!!! but you will get 1.8 for both of them ... nobody is thinking on this topic or what ?
Ya know I could have given a crap less aboput this topic until I read that.

People like this just piss me off. I ran spring on an athlon xp 1800+ and an fx5200 for 1.5 years on the lowest settings and had a constant 65 fps no matter how big the game was. My usage also never exceeded 25%.

Satrik, idiots like you go running around thinking that you really know something about hardware and performance, and in reality you don't know anything.

Bottom line: Springmark is fail
jj

Post by jj »

Forboding Angel wrote: People like this just piss me off. I ran spring on an athlon xp 1800+ and an fx5200 for 1.5 years on the lowest settings and had a constant 65 fps no matter how big the game was. My usage also never exceeded 25%.

I will finish forboding angel's story:

He did a duel with someone on a 2x2 map, they both had 1 peewee and they tryed to kill the other peewee!
PeeWee MaSaCre!

PPL like forboding makes me sad, maybe he is thinking that the game lags
because his mouse got 2 buttons instead of 3, instead of a slow cpu
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

JJ, you may have an obscene amount of time invested in extremely bad games of AA & BA, but Forb has been here much, much longer and knows much more about the works of Spring than you do.

Maybe he can dredge up some replays and an old version of the game, though I think that is a waste of time - you won't take that into account either.

Since you lads have stopped even discussing the issues at hand, I'm just going to go off on a tangent for the sake of humour.

You know, I once got Spring going on a 2.7 GHz Celeron with 512 MB of RAM and 8 MB of shared integrated graphics? That lagged... why? What bottlenecked play? Not the processor (Though it wasn't exactly great) but rather the graphics card - by the by, Spring at 640 x 480 is hot in an uncomfortable manner. However, when I repeated similar tests on a 2.7 GHz Celeron with an AGP graphics card (Middle of the road for an AGP, not great. 64 MB?) the processor became the bottleneck. It performed worse than a 1.8 GHz Williamette Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM and a 32 MB graphics card.

Actually, I recall when I first started playing Spring, I was running off of a 2.4 GHz Northwood Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM and a 64 MB GeForce of some flavor. Let's see... well, XTA games were usually 1v1 but I bored of that fast, so most of my games were 3v3 to 5v5 AA.

Just to give the full story, I usually played at about 20 FPS, sometimes dipping as low as 10, and at start of game peaking at 45 or so. Miserable, but playable - and Spring was worth it. Oh yes, Spring is the best game engine I have ever encountered - I've clocked more time in it than my prior top five; Tetris, Starcraft, Galaga, Simcity 3000 and Super Smash Brothers Melee. Soon I will have clocked more time involved in it than all of those in the list, though I have nowhere near that much time invested in actual play - I test far too often.

I digress... anyway, I caused virtually no synced lag UNLESS there were over 150 units on the screen at once. My processor, inefficient design, would often just fail a calculation and drop me if over 300 were on the screen - which was just, and saved everybody what little lag I could create.

When do you run into mad amounts of units like that moving on screen at once?

A. Limited play maps - Green Fields, Speedmetal. 'Nuff said.
B. Spam play - "300 AKs will stand for SPARTA!"
C. Air flood play - "Well, since I can't micromanage or prioritize, I'm just going to drop five payloads of bombs from T2 bombers on each square elmo of your base."

So, it was seldom an issue. As I played with better and better players, I encountered this less - it is hard to get to the cream of the crop in team games, but SmuG, XHC and EE made it possible.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

jj wrote: I will finish forboding angel's story:

He did a duel with someone on a 2x2 map, they both had 1 peewee and they tryed to kill the other peewee!
PeeWee MaSaCre!

you are one stupid, ignorant, son of a bitch.

/me sighs...
Masure

Post by Masure »

Forboding Angel wrote:
Satirik wrote:core2duo 1.8 = good cpu, athlon xp 1800 = bad cpu !!!! but you will get 1.8 for both of them ... nobody is thinking on this topic or what ?
Ya know I could have given a crap less aboput this topic until I read that.

People like this just piss me off. I ran spring on an athlon xp 1800+ and an fx5200 for 1.5 years on the lowest settings and had a constant 65 fps no matter how big the game was. My usage also never exceeded 25%.

Satrik, idiots like you go running around thinking that you really know something about hardware and performance, and in reality you don't know anything.

pm me on the lobby when I'm connected, you'll join my game and I'll get your cpu overdone. I never said a 1800+ couldn't play Spring but not all games fine.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

*Sigh* I guess some of you aren't aware that I now have a 3.8 dual core with a 7600 gtx, 2 gig ram.
Read between the lines people.

BTW few of you know, I have been here since spring was first announced and the forums opened. I lurked for a long long time.
Masure

Post by Masure »

I read wuick, didn't see the past formula. But this will never change the fact an athlon 1800+ can't run all games fine. Don't care if you now own a better comp.

And being an old Spring player changes nothing as well.

Sorry
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

You are too busy being a prick to understand what I'm trying to tell you.

That setup with all settings at total minimum and a res of 1024x768 can play 3vs3 with no slowdown. 8 vs 8 is doable but processor will reach nearly 25% in the large battles.

And btw, that setup could run doom 3 with medium settings at 20 fps, so before you make an idiot out of yourself by making blanket statements, you might want to realize that the user and the knowledge of the user can be put to great effect as far as performance is concerned.

For example, I just turned a 1.3 ghz celeron with 256 megs of ram into a very fine machine. Can't run games on it, but for office usage it performs beautifully with no processing slowdowns. If I had not put so much time into tweaking every little thing with that little computer it would have run like crap. Btw, I also used it to generate a 16x16 map using l3dt. Care to guess how?

I'll save you the trouble. Mosaic mapping, page file cranked up to 4096, and cpu throttling. It took about 1.5 hours (which isn't bad considering that it generally takes about 40-50 minutes on my main machine).

Summary: Blanket statements may make you look smart in front of people who don't know any better, but to those of us that do, you just look like an idiot.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Forboding Angel wrote:You are too busy being a prick to understand what I'm trying to tell you.

That setup with all settings at total minimum and a res of 1024x768 can play 3vs3 with no slowdown. 8 vs 8 is doable but processor will reach nearly 25% in the large battles.

And btw, that setup could run doom 3 with medium settings at 20 fps, so before you make an idiot out of yourself by making blanket statements, you might want to realize that the user and the knowledge of the user can be put to great effect as far as performance is concerned.

For example, I just turned a 1.3 ghz celeron with 256 megs of ram into a very fine machine. Can't run games on it, but for office usage it performs beautifully with no processing slowdowns. If I had not put so much time into tweaking every little thing with that little computer it would have run like crap. Btw, I also used it to generate a 16x16 map using l3dt. Care to guess how?

I'll save you the trouble. Mosaic mapping, page file cranked up to 4096, and cpu throttling. It took about 1.5 hours (which isn't bad considering that it generally takes about 40-50 minutes on my main machine).

Summary: Blanket statements may make you look smart in front of people who don't know any better, but to those of us that do, you just look like an idiot.
Only the bold quoted part is about our topic and it is lie. i won't discuss anymore with words about it. I just say, switch this comp on, come in the lobby, pm me and we'll see. You say something I think wrong and you swear on it. Let's bench it. I don't want to argue like you do on non-theorical subject.

I don't know why, but betting you don't have this comp anymore.
jj

Post by jj »

masure, spare your time...
if your try too proof it to forboding,
he will tell you that his 2-button mouse is the problem,
better give him some good links for a no-lagging-3 button-mouse internet shop
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Silence said the wolf!

This whole discussion is pointless. Satiriks lobby will be obsolete in a month or two if things carry on as is, so theres no point arguing over it.

And the whole discussion over wether hardware is adequate and who has the bigger knowledge of hardware is pointless as neither side is going to give way, so lets pelase leave the logical impasse on the way out?

So please either:
  • Leave the thread and go spend your time somewhere doing something useful
  • Build a rival system using lua and the lobby, (hint, you dont need lobby integration just replace spring.exe with a program that calls spring via proxy and collects the results and sends them off when spring exits)
  • Work with JJ to improve SpringMarks reliability
  • Continue arguing via pm
In the mean tiem why cant any of you see that there're people sitting infront of their PC laughing their heads fof at how lucky they are to have this arguement going on? You're all being manipulated into arguing!

-------------------
-AF
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

jj wrote:

I will finish forboding angel's story:

PeeWee MaSaCre!

*THE THREAD THUS FAR*

forb; i had a sucky comp but i could play 1v1,2v2 and 3v3 . . .

jj;WHAT THE FUCK YOU DIDNT HAVE 4000 PEEWEE GREENFIELDS GAMES DOOD YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR MISSING

forb; i doubt im missing anything important . . .

satirik; COME2MYGAME AND ILL .GIVE 200 CORCOMS AND THEN CTRL+D THEM AND WELL SEE WHO LAGS LOLOLOL MY COMP IS SUPERIOR!!!

forb; . . .

af; ok lets behave now people :)))

(somewhere between people flame this shit down while neddie continues to make posts that i dont understand)
Work with JJ to improve SpringMarks reliability
no? i think we should go on the totally opposite way. give 0 information about the computer the other guy is running. if he lags, its a disadvantage to him, and a practical free win for you. if they lag and win you. . well then you just gotta look @ the mirror
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

AF wrote:So please either:
  • Leave the thread and go spend your time somewhere doing something useful
  • Build a rival system using lua and the lobby, (hint, you dont need lobby integration just replace spring.exe with a program that calls spring via proxy and collects the results and sends them off when spring exits)
  • Work with JJ to improve SpringMarks reliability
  • Continue arguing via pm
Mods and like 5 people have been trying to say that for the past 3 pages. :lol:

Guys [and gals?], there's a lot of hate going around this topic for no good reason. We all just want to have a good gaming experience, and there are [radically] different opinions as to how to obtain that experience.

Granted, we might disagree with one another's viewpoints, but gratuitous insults and flamebaiting is truly what's stupid.

Like AF says, either put up with Springmark if you have to use Satirik's lobby for now, or use the official lobby and forget about it. I look forward to using AF's lobby pending its release, and if someone would take all the good points about benchmarking using the Spring engine and make something out of it, we'd all appreciate it.

I would, but I know absolutely no C++, lua, or any other programming language even remotely well enough to write my own program. So starting now, for the meantime, I'll just put up and shutup.
smoth

Post by smoth »

TROLL! TROLL! TROLL! TROLL! TROLL! TROLL!

WII SUCKS

SPEEDMETAL IS GAY

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A'right!, dats a mighty fine troll ya got der!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

jj, if you don't know how to regard criticism in your thread without flaming critics, you don't get a thread.

Also, flame wars will not be tolerated, if the same names keep coming up next time it won't just be flamey threads that get locked. If you said something you shouldn't have in this thread, remember, we have it on record.

Return to “Ingame Community”