greenfields tactics on BA

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

duncs

Post by duncs »

Hi. about greenfields build order: seems it's entirely different now in BA. I will watch a replay later tonight but it seems that the game goes a lot faster now.

I'm not sure about the whole solar thing. solars take no metal but some energy and a MASSIVE buildtime. takes even longer than advanced solars, it seems... so. can anyone give me a good greenfields build order?

it seems that making a factory at the start is a good idea now. my AA build order was something like:

1 metal maker, 5 windmills, one metal maker, 5 windmills, laser turret, missile turret, rader. (5 windmills, mm) x 3 or so, then when my metal was getting full I'd build a factory, 5 builders, start reclaiming it with my 4th builder while it was building my 5th, start them all building solars, then at +15 metal or so build l2 factory, build l2 con veh, send one l1 veh reclaiming my metal makers, build a couple of moho makers... etc.

edit: hm, seems like I really need to look at the unit costs etc for BA. I must have misread stuff last night when I was playing...
Last edited by duncs on 26 Jan 2007, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
bamb

Post by bamb »

umm, solars take metal, no energy.
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

Greenfields games go a lot faster in BA because metal makers only use 60 energy/tic instead of 100 energy/tic. That alone makes for a 66% increase in metal output at the beginning of the game.
jackalope

Post by jackalope »

solars take no metal, lots of energy, and take longer to build than advanced solars?

what?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

playing greenfields as akin to going to a grand banquet and just eating the tablecloth. real maps ftw.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

CHEAT FOR GREENFIELDS: If you want to get metal extractors producing speedmetal like amounts on greenfields hold down ctrl and type ADVANTAGE. It takes a few seconds to work, but it works every time without your enemies knowing!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

LordMatt wrote:CHEAT FOR GREENFIELDS: If you want to get metal extractors producing speedmetal like amounts on greenfields hold down ctrl and type ADVANTAGE. It takes a few seconds to work, but it works every time without your enemies knowing!
LordMatt ftw.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

TBH holding windowskey-f is better....Depending on how fast their computer is, it often makes them lag out.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

LordMatt wrote:CHEAT FOR GREENFIELDS: If you want to get metal extractors producing speedmetal like amounts on greenfields hold down ctrl and type ADVANTAGE. It takes a few seconds to work, but it works every time without your enemies knowing!
The sad thing is, Tired got me with this a while back, I think it ranks amongst my greatest blonde moments ^^
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I hope that was in your nub days steve. That has been getting nubs since 1997 IIRC. :P
manored

Post by manored »

In island greenfields you should generate your energy on the water because the tidal of it its pretty high. (30 I think)
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Another winning strategy: Make sure not to put any space between your wind generators or metalmakers. This allows for a more compact base that you can make tonnes of DFENZ around.
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

Duncs, how about watching the replays of the two green fields game you and I played in yesterday. My build order is reasonable, but could be improved. Also watch what jj built.

Replays ftw.

edit: Oh I see you were planning to watch a replay later anyway......
manored

Post by manored »

LordMatt wrote:Another winning strategy: Make sure not to put any space between your wind generators or metalmakers. This allows for a more compact base that you can make tonnes of DFENZ around.
More compact base or more compact bomb? :lol:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

And always cloak your Comander - Advanced Players will always rush for it with AKs :D so hide him..
manored

Post by manored »

PicassoCT wrote:And always cloak your Comander - Advanced Players will always rush for it with AKs :D so hide him..
Or better: make a lot of decoy commanders. He will kill hinself to kill that com and then discover its not the right one...
duncs

Post by duncs »

I really appreciate all of your answers. 15 replies so far, and every one of them has been useful. I have learned a whole lot. I continue to be humbled by the kindness of this community. thanks, everyone :D
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

uh duncs, they're fucking with you mate. I don't know if there was more than one or two real strategies there.

Greenfields sucks btw. Play a real map.
duncs

Post by duncs »

Dragon45 wrote:uh duncs, they're fucking with you mate. I don't know if there was more than one or two real strategies there.

Greenfields sucks btw. Play a real map.
I've noticed this in many online communities:
if you ask for advice, it's automatically assumed that you're new + retarded. Please refer to my 'join' date.

sorry if my sarcasm was undetected there, I've never asked a question and had more useless answers in my life (to be less subtle) and: <sarcasm>thanks for a build order, appreciated.</sarcasm>
anyway, I watched the replay so never mind. I could still do with some advice (it seems people skip straight from windmills to advanced solars, why?) but I don't expect it from anyone who's already posted in this thread.
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

I went from windmills to advanced solars because I was trying something different. The logic was that they take less space and aren't such a huge jump as nuclear power plants. And they look cooler than solars. I guess that if the logic is valid the progression should be windmills to normal solars to advanced solars.....

I think the progression from building lots of windmills then factory to building factory first is not an AA to BA thing, but just that someone only recently figured it out and demonstrated that it works quite well. I learnt it from watching a replay of someone.

Return to “Ingame Community”