update #newbies topic

update #newbies topic

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

saturnV

update #newbies topic

Post by saturnV »

When players log into the lobby, they see this message:
EVERYONE, welcome to #newbies!
Ask any questions about installing/configuring Spring and playing games here!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://springrts.com/wiki/Read_Me_First
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
to contact spring engine devs, /join #sy
trouble downloading games? check the read me first
I think this topic or the read_me_first should be used to answer common questions that get asked in that chat.

In the last years that is:

1) "Why does the engine not download?" (due to all the forgotten BA10 hosts running deleted test engines)
Well, we missed that oppurtunity to inform players in timely fashion.

2) "Where have all the players gone?"
The story is known. Idea for text:
"BA and other legacy games are played at a different server. Visit https://springfightclub.com"
MasterBel

Re: update #newbies topic

Post by MasterBel »

Good point, that Read Me First probably deserves to be updated.

FYI you have the power to update it. You can log into the wiki with your forum account and edit any page. (That seems worth adding to the RMF – then again maybe not 8) It's described on the General FAQ page)
Make sure to note that Zero-K and BAR have also moved to their own servers (some players I've seen come back haven't played since CA renamed to ZK even). iirc there was another game on its own server, but I can't remember.

After you have a go at it, let me know and I'd be more than happy to proof it to make sure it's looking its best.

On that topic the FAQ feels a little tedious to click through, and quite possibly a lot of issues coming up are out of date. Someone with a fair amount of experience around here should maybe have a look over it and see what's worth updating/removing.
saturnV

Post by saturnV »

MasterBel wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 04:55Make sure to note that Zero-K and BAR have also moved to their own servers (some players I've seen come back haven't played since CA renamed to ZK even). iirc there was another game on its own server, but I can't remember.
This about answering the questions that got spammed in lobby chat during the last years.
I never saw anyone ask about where to find the hosts of BAR, zeroK or "another game."
Those games also repeatedly state that current/former spring players are not their audience, so I did not include them.

Yes, that page and linked pages are a mess. They have all those confusing instructions how to download files via webbrowser and moving them into spring folders. Even though all lobbies had autodownload since a very long time.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

They have all those confusing instructions how to download files via webbrowser and moving them into spring folders.
Unfortunately it's still very necessary for people to know how to do this. Especially because certain things still can't be autodownloaded (e.g. Lua scripts)
2) "Where have all the players gone?"

I never saw anyone ask about where to find the hosts of BAR, zeroK or "another game."
Ahem. If they're asking where the players went, some of them went to BAR and Zero-K. And yes, I have seen people asking about Zero-K specifically, at least a few times. As said, some people that come back haven't played since before Zero-k moved to its own server. (Which happened after ZK renamed from CA.)

Edit: Thanks saturnV and Silentwings for your edits. I've updated the link to the BA website to save ppl a redirect. A statement about engine versions doesn't appear to have been added, but that doesn't seem necessary since 105 has been released and nightly versions appear to no longer be used by all but 2 hosts. (I'll try to get in contact with the owner, I think he's on the BA server occasionally.)

Return to “Ingame Community”