dedicated server

dedicated server

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

caldera

dedicated server

Post by caldera »

is some kind of dedicated server for spring games available / is it possible to use the lobby to create games automatically without playing??
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

One was being worked on by Kuroneko, but it was lost due to a reformatting. So no, there is currently no dedicated server for Spring.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3429
The cliened modified my Altaric is able to replace the host with a bot.
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

a dedicated server would be great!
So I could host 16 Player battles with my 100Mbit server.
Anyone tried to set up a bot for autmatic hosting?
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Dr.InfernO wrote: Anyone tried to set up a bot for automatic hosting?
I was working on something like that for some time. I might pick it up again after my math exam on Thursday. It's completely written in cross-platform Python, and it really isn't that far away from being useful.
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

Michilus_nimbus wrote: I was working on something like that for some time. I might pick it up again after my math exam on Thursday. It's completely written in cross-platform Python, and it really isn't that far away from being useful.
That would be great!
My server is a win serv 2003 machine so there should be a way of "dedicated battle hosting".
If i only could turn the 3D interface off, during hosting.
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

So is it possibile to start a gamehost without GUI?
Michilus_nimbus

Dr.InfernO wrote:So is it possibile to start a gamehost without GUI?
No. At least, not as far as I know. Some kind of friendly code magician might pull it off, though.
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

Today I'll try to host a game with the server.
I wanna try if i can get it to work. maybe i can try something like a wrapper....
For the first try I enable windowed mode and setting all to the minimum.
Has anyone still some suggestions for hosting it on a server?
caldera

Post by caldera »

dedicated servers would be a huge improvement, since hosting big games seems to get more and more laggy with standard dsl connection...
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

So I'll try it today. If this doesn't work I'll ask a friend (Rayden) for 1337 Hax0ring into the code and do the remove of #if..#endif 'ings to all OpenGL & mouse+keyboard code.
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

I was successful with setting up a host on my server.
Now I only need a bot to automatise it.
Altaric, Michilus_nimbus? :)
bamb

Post by bamb »

It could also be potentially useful for ai development to run console-only and with loaded configurations.
caldera

Post by caldera »

played on some automatet testserver yesterday. worked fine. was it yours, inferno?
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

yes it was mine yesterday.
It's working fine exept one thing.
It doesn't stop the spring.exe when the game is finished and anyone is out of the game.

So the Bot doesn't realize that the game is allready over, so he is still in spectator mode ingame and won't end it.

I'm still waiting for some help from altaric.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

That is an awesome first step tho, don't give up, i know a few ppl in my clan alone that would love to host a spring dedicated server.
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

It's working now!
The bot is now shutting down the springRTS when everyone is out of the RTS game and back in lobby.
you can also set your start boxes via easy commands all thanks to altariks bot.
I'm also looking forward to see how Michilus_nimbus is advancing with his bot. Maybe there were some advantages.
Michilus_nimbus

I'm getting there :-)
I've got basic battle room support running. Basically it records all player, team and allyteam info. The next step is to write that info to a nice script to fire up the RTS. I was planning on borrowing that part from the new Linux lobby, but sadly there was not that much to borrow on that part...

I'm thinking of implementing a queue system:
Someone request a game with a certain title and mod by talking to the bot in private. If he's first in the queue, the bot will start hosting with the requester as an admin. Otherwise, the requester will get to choice to wait for the game to end, or terminate his request.

If anyone has a better idea, please share it with me.

Michilus.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Hmmm, the requesting system you outlined sounds very interesting, but can u add to it a bit, like, when the user makes a request to the bot, that the bot reply with information telling the player where they are in the line of requests, and also possibly give ingame stats from the outside (ala Pheonix Worx).
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

surely most people can host now, and if they can't they are probably able too if they tried/asked!
even if they can't there is often a game up they would be willing to play, at almost any time of day. is it just me or is this out of date?

Return to “Ingame Community”