Time to take out the trash

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Attachments
[KO1]RageQuit.jpg
(316.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MasterBel

Re: Time to take out the trash

Post by MasterBel »

Somehow I don't feel that public shaming and associating someone with the idea of "trash" are particularly constructive accomplishments. Surely there's a better way to approach this.

P.S. Very pretty background pic. Compliments go to dev+modeller+screenshot taker (who, I guess, might even be all the same person?)
Oh, and map maker too. ;)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

MasterBel wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 05:50 Somehow I don't feel that public shaming and associating someone with the idea of "trash" are particularly constructive accomplishments.
Are you serious?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't feel that the use of the n-word should be needed in our community. You can find other synonyms to convey your message.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

I agree such offensive words shouldn't be used, but this case seems to be a kind of joke message sent by pm to trigger Forb (it worked).

It should get warnings and a perhaps a short duration temp ban, not public shaming.

It's not like we're swimming in players..
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Obviously it was a meme message from 4chan, and it didn't trigger anything raaar. How are you not understanding the point?

People who use or even just copy and paste racist slurs deserve to be publicly shamed.
we're not swimming in players
And allowing usage of slurs is going to attract more? Do those of you who use these types of rationalizations ever stop and actually listen to yourselves?

The message didn't annoy me. I've seen it before. The thing that actually annoys me is people doing this, trying to rationalize usage of slurs as if it's not a big deal.

Back when we had a tight grip on lobby moderation, AA and BA thrived and had 300 active players daily. Moderation fucked off to parts unknown and BA turned into a shit pool. How many players are there now? 12 at peak?

Yeah, that not banning toxicity thing really worked wonders huh?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

I didn't argue that they should be allowed, I argued that the penalty should be relatively low, depending on intensity, recurrence, etc.

Besides this thread, was there any other action taken?

If someone that usually plays and is sometimes rude suddenly "disappears", is there a way for others who used to play with them to check the ban status for the given account.

For example, on ZK, a user did some stuff and got penalties, and on its website we can search for the account and see the status:

PENALTY: Persistent harassment of other users in and out of game, forum spamming
Muted
Forum blocked
Issued on: 12/25/2018 1:03:18 AM (3 days ago)
Expires on: 12/30/2018 11:03:18 PM (2d 6h remaining)
PENALTY: Creating alternate account to continue harassment of other users
Site blocked
Forum blocked
Lobby blocked
Issued on: 12/27/2018 11:11:03 PM (17 hours ago)
Expires on: 1/5/2019 11:11:03 PM
it doesn't show who issued the penalties, but is still much clearer.

Return to “Ingame Community”