On Bans

On Bans

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

MasterBel2

On Bans

Post by MasterBel2 »

I'm going to be back soon with more to say, but I'll just start with this:

What is grounds for a kick, ban, and what is a suitable term for this? This isn't clear. What I would like is a list of rules (in bullet-point form, with allowances for moderator's point of view, so that someone can't argue technicalities) and an outline of how a punishment system is to be applied. Can this be done?

Also… what kind of process is it to volunteer to be a lobby moderator? And can we please not have a ban sentence longer than 6 months/1 year at the very most?
Silentwings

Re: On Bans

Post by Silentwings »

For these forums, https://springrts.com/wiki/Felony

For the lobbyserver we don't use such strictly defined standards. The ToSdisallow illegal activity and gives legal protections to Spring's server owners, and there are some requirements for botflags. Beyond that lobby moderators handle cases as they see fit, and we sometimes discuss with each other. This is unlikely to change.

You can find all this information via https://springrts.com/wiki/Community_Docs

We aren't currently looking for more lobby moderators, after recently adding three new ones. There is no process to volunteer, although we do remember when people express interest.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

As a player I'd appreciate more strictly defined standards and I feel that it would potentially make it easier to report/ignore behaviour we don't like? But I think the thing I'd most want to see is a guideline on ban terms?

I've already come across that information. I looked for it first.

I understand, but what do you classify as enough? Even after the recent additions I've heard people expressing their feeling that we still don't have enough? I'm not sure how anyone's defining enough, though. .-.
gajop

Post by gajop »

I actually wouldn't mind increasing the lobby moderator numbers further if there are good candidates. Dunno what the procedure for such a thing should be. We normally just discuss specific candidates in the private mod forum.

For code of conduct, I'd recommend just stealing some popular version, like https://github.com/twitter/code-of-cond ... conduct.md . To be clear, I'm not recommending that particular version, I haven't even read it, I just think it's not necessary to write our own "Don't be a dick" ruleset.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

gajop wrote:code of conduct
Provided that it leaves lobby moderators with freedom to react as they think best, I don't have any objection to having one, but in the past there has never been enough consensus on what it should say e.g. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36406#p583508.

@gajop: As we've discussed before, without VPN blocking (which could be introduced, in principle) and/or account verification, I think its not reasonable to expect lobby moderators to cover the everyday behaviour of ordinary users; and its best done by autohost owners/admins/players/plugins, who are more often present.

MasterBel2 wrote:a guideline on ban terms
As said, this won't happen - it's necessary to treat cases individually, to be able to act based on information that was given to us privately, and to take a users history and personality into account.

Autohosts can decide to set more specific rules (or not), and enforce them themselves. The guidance on when lobby moderators might become involved reads
https://springrts.com/wiki/Botflags wrote:All issues concerning users behaviour inside battle hosts should be reported to the hosts owners and admins. Springs moderators will not normally become involved in such cases. Issues of serious and prolonged disruption that extend beyond an individual battle host, or concern the conduct of host owners/admins, should be reported to Springs moderators via private message.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Silentwings wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 13:07 As said, this won't happen - it's necessary to treat cases individually, to be able to act based on information that was given to us privately, and to take a users history into account.
This makes no sense to me? Rules can take the idea of past offences into account, and don't have to be completely prescriptive, can allow for treating cases individually, but imho it risks inconsistency too much to not have any guidelines? And of course, rules are for the people, people aren't for the rules. Right?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

You become a lobby-moderator by having vouched for a lot of well behaved, experienced players, who in turn vouched for similar new players.
Its basically a feudal system of get highest dharma:

If a bad actor appears, and has to be banned (aka voted out by a lot of actors on the same level), his negative kharma drags the whole feudal tree down. If you - or your thanes vouche for bad apples to often, you loose your moderation privilege to the next high of dharma person with a similar tree of trusted persons.

There is also the possibility of a uprising, if you have one thane who provides you with high dharma, and lots of bad apples, the thane can surpass you, and you become his single bad apple, making him the root of the dharma tree.

Finally, kings can up there dharma, by cutting loose bad thanes, making them basically stand alone dharma-tree.

If a dharma-tree is completely red, the whole group gets auto-regulated, depending on how red they are - exluded from games, promotion-silenced, perma-banned, etc.

Mando, if you read this, wailing to the wall in moddev, gets you into deep deep trouble.
You can be a punk in your street, and your local cop will take it.
Be a punk on comrad stalins plaza, and you win a lifetime travel to oetzi-town.

TL,DR; Mando, be a ban-dodging bitch elsewhere.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

People try to dismiss things as Just One Bad Apple. The problem is they're forgetting that the entire saying is "One Bad Apple spoils the bunch."
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

https://github.com/PicassoCT/HallOfDharma

Nuke them from orbit.
If google can use self-regulating systems to handle most its users, why shouldnt a game be able too?
Turn all those little statistic-brats into Stasi-rats backstabbin one another.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Another great idea.. Karma gets restored by doing good work aka as cintribootyshakin.

I can see Mando on that wiki

That little shit will never know what hit it
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

We should have a public list of players who got banned, the reasons and the status of it.

it'd be interesting to have more information about the number of players over time and the bans.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

We should put those who offend and repent to work in the coal mines. Work shall set them free to play.

Make rts great again.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

This is how it really works:

http://prntscr.com/kftmzy
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Its like that phase where i used to run marathons in the city and they tried to censor me.

Okay i was naked, but what about that freedom of expression?

Okay i had diarrhea, but it was part of the art installation!

Okay, there where schools in that city- and i might have run through one or two public places, like a prom or a church.

If you dont go all the way with freedom, you go all the nay.

Return to “Ingame Community”