moderation of bad language in autohosts - Page 2

moderation of bad language in autohosts

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

MasterBel2

Re: moderation of bad language in autohosts

Post by MasterBel2 »

MaDDoX wrote:And yes, it is a true problem, I've seen a fair share of players leaving the online game because of that.
^Seconded
MaDDoX wrote:Players with rank < 3 are auto-muted when joining the battleroom
Interesting idea, but this could potentially be a noob blocker?

But this is cool that you're working on something!
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

Just to clarify a bit,
I first thought that the bans were permanents, that's why I overreacted a bit here ^^

Nothing wrong with temporary bans for bad behaviors, offensive names and very innapropriate language.

Id like to know why you refuse to use discord abma.
gajop

Post by gajop »

I don't think muting new players is a positive way to greet them. I would feel a sense of gatekeeping if I didn't have such basic rights in a new community. I do understand why you'd want it.

Also, I get abma not using Discord, even though I use it out of convinence. We shouldn't be relying on it too much as it's not open source and we aren't the administrators. Personally I like Spring's Discord the most as it maps channels to uber almost identically.
code_man

Post by code_man »

FLOZi wrote:How you really deal with racist trolls... :twisted:

https://github.com/spring1944/spring194 ... 15e5dc9114
That was to call it by the name childish, you banned him from a game for slight instance without warning, i dont know who would even ban someone from playing singleplayer.
And now you bring this up in a joking manner in a thread that basically is about allowing admins to push the button, even though it cost the s44 community a valuable player.
This kinda of thing doesnt inspire confidence in either you nor the spring moderation for letting this go without a word.
I dont have a grudge against you or want you to be removed from moderators, but something like this just needs to be pointed out imo.
This is just a fucked up thing to do, a jokes a joke but if its a fucked up one dont expect others humor to find it good.

As for the whole thing i can see why admins think this is needed but im skeptical of this.
On one end i understand that drastic measures need to be taken and we dont want to grow a cesspool here.
Though i dont play ba and dont know its community, i know what its like to be around assholes and seeing from the degree of complaints i know something is wrong.
I think slamming down the hammer on obviously hostile people is the way to go.
But on the other hand i dont want to spring to be turned to a politically correct policed kindergarten, ive seen too much of this either.
It would be uncomfortable for me to be in a place where you can get hammered for letting things slip out and as it is im pretty much stuck here.
Im too apathic to care much about this, nor to be honest can i see this going anywhere in the long term, but i thought i should share my sentiments here.

And to be honest those people need to go somewhere, if they are given their own space where they can devour each other as long as its well known its about the best solution i see.
MaDDoX

Post by MaDDoX »

gajop wrote:I don't think muting new players is a positive way to greet them. I would feel a sense of gatekeeping if I didn't have such basic rights in a new community. I do understand why you'd want it.
The server's Discord chat will always be open to anyone, even people not playing. This will be stated in the "welcome" message, the one shown when you login. In-game I believe all specs should be muted and, like any rank-1 or 2 player, should still have "label chat" enabled. Nevertheless, I haven't investigated how far we can interfere with the actual ongoing battle.

All of this is an experiment, there are definitely other things I'd like to try. Ace servers have been trying some heavier moderation, but I don't believe anything non-automated would work, and I also saw players complaining about some lack of bot commands compared to the most active BA server. In any case, Overabuse will most probably keep being the server of choice, no matter how fast and "stop bullying and play" any server is.

The idea is to provide an automated, abuse-free option to the UberBS servers. Let's see how it goes, if the community doesn't embrace it we'll keep tweaking it until it's on a nice middle ground that works for most.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

code_man wrote:...apologism for a nazi...
zCram is a nazi.

I countenance that Nazis are not 'valuable players'.

I countenance that repeated racist and anti-semitic statements over months don't merely accidentally 'slip out'.

It is my personal view that Nazi's are not to be allowed to play any project I am directly involved in creating (as a developer).

It is my personal view that Nazism and related ideologies should not be tolerated across the Spring platform, and thus far any time such views have been displayed in my period as moderator and then admin the entire moderation team has been in unanimous agreement over the action to be taken, so I do not feel that my personal view is particularly controversial or that it has somehow 'cost' the community.

Posts clearly supporting or evincing such ideologies certainly are in violation of the forum rules and will result in warnings at the least and perma-bans at the most. This has always been the case and has nothing to do with my personal views.

My only regret is that Nemo convinced me to remove that gadget. :wink:

p.s. I could also point out that the gadget is entirely flawed as all zCram needed to do was change a single character of his name and the code would be useless. But I would expect someone going by the pseudonym 'code_man' would not need that pointing out. :P
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Bad language in moderation only? Autohost is written 100 % in perl. Moderation is 50 %
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Well, since its become quiet I'll add my opinion...

I think some degree of preventing foul language does need to happen, to avoid situations where a small number of vocal users create an atmosphere that would be very likely to send new players away. I also think that players of online games (myself included) are generally not very sensitive to foul language, and the only the worst cases should be acted against. Imo in such cases the best way to deal with it is a mute + loss of autohost voting rights.

Return to “Ingame Community”