DSD map is only map played logging in 2-3 weeks now

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

tog

Post by tog »

My ingame name is helmet I'm wondering if anything is being done to change this? There's only ever one server playing the same map, which to me is the same strategies being played over and over brainless. Is there another mod coming out that will solve this maybe? How are older players supposed to tolerate this, and am I the only one noticing the drop off on players over the last month or 2
Floris

Re: DSD map is only map played logging in 2-3 weeks now

Post by Floris »

Lets rename DSD, that will fix it
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

what game?
alexau

Post by alexau »

whats the game?
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Firstly: This has been going on longer than 2-3 weeks, and it isn't the only map played (though by far the most common)
Secondly: I'm assuming you're talking 'bout BA because TA plays stupid porky maps. And there are less TA games out there.

I don't know what you guys think, but have a look at all other maps out there - DSD is one of the few special maps that are played because it does everything well. If you look at it, the only other maps with different gameplay are Comet, Altored divide, mescaline, greenfields, and (Maybe?) Supreme battlefield. (Correcty me if I'm wrong, more experienced players. I've probably missed 1 or 2). With these good maps though it should be enough to keep variation - but Supreme Battlefield gets repetitive way faster, comet doesn't really handle larger numbers of players, Altored divide has some weird issues that some people are sure are there which I don't get, mescaline is great but no room for beginners, and greenfields - well - the same. (and it's a bit too much techy for some people) :(

The reason for this is we're playing spread teams along the long dimension of the map, north south on comet and east west on DSD and most others. This gives the map relatively little maneauvre room, and increases the effectiveness of porc. But on a map like DSD, which has relatively high variation, it only becomes a problem when a few people get the crazy idea that there is ONE way to play it. I tell you now, this isn't true. With smaller teams, there are so many things you can do on it; I only wish it were slightly easier to have north help out south etc as on Nuclear_Winter. I personally don't like nuclear winter that much because of the great open area and the relatively little map variation. It's still a decent map though, even if it's quite similar to DSD

Might I say that on all maps the range of t1 units in BA can make things a little awkward because of the lack of variation.

Something I would love to try out, instead of developing a different mod, is playing around with number of teams and distribution method. My optimal favorite would be Nostartbox choose in game with 3 or 4 teams (when with a larger number of players) but with the risk pf players starting beside eachother it can kind of ruin a game. If that could be solved with engine/game modifications (as I have previously requested) the only blockage for that would be maps more varied so that it's harder to get imbalanced map placement (might I say that this is frequently because of the players' fault?)

The other Idea I have that might do something about this is pre-game territory claiming, and then you can only place in map regions are claimed by your team. Not sure how this would work, but if done well it could be amazing. It would also open up FFA maps for use for team games, which I would also like to see. It could also (hopefully) help towards making FFA more balanced
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

But seriously. I know everyone hates this topic and tries to avoid it - but I think something should be done about it, or at least a possible solution that could be worked towards. Knowing that games on DSD aren't bad, but people get tired of repetition.
Manmax

Post by Manmax »

Try Zero-K, all kind of maps are played there.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I personally couldn't get my head around zk, plus I can't run it on mac :(. And on the normal spring server no one seems to play. But all kinds of maps are played in BA too, just nowhere near as frequently

Return to “Ingame Community”