so that happens with new players in BA

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

thatzowie

Post by thatzowie »

..and keeps NOT growing the community

feel free to discuss about what happened

the clip
http://youtu.be/xXzbUhu_h6M

the battle-chatlog:
http://pastebin.com/RYzaxa86

the replay:
http://replays.springrts.com/replay/7fc ... a19750320/
imboss77

Re: so that happens with new players in BA

Post by imboss77 »

This surprises me. In my first game one person sort of took me under his wing and taught me the basics. Might this be just a fluke thing?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

This sort of thing will inevitably happen to some degree in any team game, including those that don't happen on the internet.

Right now the BlackHoleHosts are well maintained and have a good set of admins. Unfortunately for this case they cannot be omnipresent (and even if so, human error is possible anywhere). So, of course I'm sorry to see this instance happen, but at the moment I don't have general concerns about the issue.
Last edited by Silentwings on 12 Dec 2014, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I don't want to defend the actions taken in what I'm seeing here entirely, they weren't very polite or helpful... but I imagine this gerrr1 fellow who got kicked would likely have fared better if he'd responded in any way at all to the people trying to give him advice.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Makes one wish there was a newby bonus, that would allow teams who help them get a ressource plus or shield or something out of it..

But then.. they would be so many smurfs.. im blue .. dabble di dabble die..
gajop

Post by gajop »

Normally these kind of players should go to a tutorial first. Pity we don't do those. The other issue is a small community with no matchmaking so you have pros playing with newbies. You need a far more understanding/nicer community for that.
He's definitely not at fault here, the amount of new information he's receiving is probably overwhelming. A completely new game with stuff happening all around, as well as pretty large chat-spam. Give the guy a break.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Im sure - all we need to do is hook a cable to the pros-head and flash a new niceness bootloader on those..
There was even a manual lieing around on how to instant change people ... dont remember its name though, was some -ism at the end. It only worked for idealized people though.
Strange, cant remember what happend to the the non-ideal behaving people in the book.
And some chapters where missing.
And in the end, it all sort of unwinded, and the last pages were burned and soaked with something sticky.

How about this.. after a certain playtime (100 h) a new player can name a mentor who helped him most.
This mentor gets a reward.
Conditions: "Mentor must have played with new guy in at least 50 h" of the time".

Problem solved. Next!
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Silentwings wrote: Right now the BlackHoleHosts are well maintained and have a good set of admins.
Unfortunately quite the opposite is true. There always was a very limited amount of admins and nowadays the vast majority of them does not play anymore (use command !admins to see them). So it even got worse.
And even if an admin is around it is super rare to see them taking any actions against abusers (one example: vandervar is ruining every second game by selfding midgame since years). Part of the problem is IMO that admins never bothered to lay down any rules for the server.
tombom

Post by tombom »

No tutorial, one person playing badly ruins a whole 30min-1 hour game, hard to communicate effectively in game (a lot of people don't speak english or can't work out how to chat with people and so much gets spammed it's hard to pick out signal from noise), build menu is cluttered so it takes ages to find even what they've asked you to build and in that time they've got angry at you for something else... idk, being a noob in Spring has always sucked (although it's always been better when AIs are available, idk if that's true right now). I remember how hard it was to get people to stick with it even if you spent an hour showing them the ropes
RageQ

Post by RageQ »

Aimless hatred and random calls to votekick players have become integrated in expert DsD gameplay strategies (you can boost your adv fusion production by 50% if you take the kicked player). Better for new players to learn living with these ways from the start, and not later when their inability to exploit the votekick-mechanics correctly results in the team losing an actually decent player.

Regarding small admin presence:

Player numbers are small. Cant afford to ban any of the trolls.

You can advocate the holocaust as a reasonable alternative to fossil fuels, go on a month long comdrop / combomb every-single-game-campaign and still not get banned by the ZOG.

Dgun your ally com at start is a single game ban at maximum today. Usually it just results in a hour long attempt to pass the stop vote, while the game is paused.

All in all it is pretty fun, stop complaining and learn to call votes to kick yourself only to !endvote them quickly in order to block all kickvotes against you until the next game.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

To sum it up, we need vaseline on every server, and we need hostility lvl settings like we allready have for rank.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

hostility lvl settings like we allready have for rank.
That's called a ban :P
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Anarchid wrote:
hostility lvl settings like we allready have for rank.
That's called a ban :P
I think in some games they mute players who can't behave courteousness... imagine how awful it would be if we could temporarily suspend chat and vote-kick privileges for players who didn't know how to behave?
brainfart

Post by brainfart »

Things are a lot worse now. The communication with the newbie here was poor and lacked commonsense. Here is a quick guide...

1. Don't say mex. How will he know what that is? Say build a metal extractor on the metal spot (F4). You can even draw to circle the spots and draw a crude mex and arrow. Universal language. You can also easily draw a windmill.
2. He might not have known how to chat. You need to say press enter to chat.
3. You could send a con down and build on those mexes then give.
4. No one told him to reclaim the metal storage and e storage.
5. No one looked at the flag to see what language is likely.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

You guys literately have no report system in place to fix this.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I think people expect admins to deal with this, but admins generally turn a blind eye, or even participate in it themselves. And when admins do try, they get a large amount of backlash.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Please avoid necroing 3 year old threads.

Locked.

Return to “Ingame Community”