spring installer

spring installer

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

caldera

spring installer

Post by caldera »

just installed spring and saw that there are no mods selected by default in the installer. doesnt that lead to noobs having no mod directory and some more trouble? cant we select at least KP or something free by default?
LordMatt

Re: spring installer

Post by LordMatt »

There would be a huge argument about what mod to select by default, and when I would solve it by just making BA the default because its most popular the forum players would get their panties in such a tight bunch that the compression would create a black hole and destroy the world.

If I can figure out how to do it, will make a message box that warns when no mods are selected.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Why not just randomly select 2 or 3 mods?
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Because the user should read and choose.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Just select them all by default.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

neddiedrow wrote:Just select s44 by default.
I agree with neddie!
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Well, that is a possibility, but it would increase the default download size to over 150MB.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Wow you f bastards.i have been saying this for ages.
Guess it finally hit the rest of ya..
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Why don't you rename it to games? That might make it clearer.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

LordMatt wrote:Well, that is a possibility, but it would increase the default download size to over 150MB.
Which is like 1/10 the size of a commercial game demo these days.
caldera

Post by caldera »

we could just define to select the two most popular mods by default, that would be completely noob friendly.
What ever you put in , I wouldnt care about people starting to argument against it, its surely better than nothing. just do it... if we cant get more new players to play this game we will soon end up in having a game which isnt played anymore but has a huge amount of forum-members argumenting about everything
Gota

Post by Gota »

put all major mods in..including gundam,kp,evo rts,pure,ca,ba,sa,xta,nota,s44...all of them..who cares it will take 400-500 megs..big f deal..people expect a serious game to take alot of space...
Even when i downloaded spring like 3 years ago i couldnt believe it took 30 megs...i was sure its a demo or something shitty as hell..only my love of ota made me try and see if its worth it or not..
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Gota wrote:Wow you f bastards.i have been saying this for ages.
Guess it finally hit the rest of ya..
I've been saying it before you became Gota. Don't push my buttons.
Gota

Post by Gota »

prove it.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

In law, the burden of proof is on the accuser. I've said it on the lobby, probably on these forums, over AIM to LordMatt, on MSN to AF, on Smoth's forum... You would have to track all my statements in all mediums and evaluate each for truth, then prove that I never said such. Don't forget that implication is easily revealed for the benefit of the defense, but not for the prosecution. Oh, and you don't have access to everything I do or say.

You could apply science and logic to the situation, I suppose. Of course scientific rigor is subject to present data, and data is limited. This is why in the realm of knowledge you look for the aberrant case that disproves the assumed perfection of the rule. You can never prove that something is absolute, because you never have all the data before you and as a subjective limited being you will never evaluate it all.

A multitude of other possibilities are open to you, but I assure you, they will prove as fruitless as any other. Commonly, when support isn't obtainable, the accuser will resort to personal attacks and the imposition of decoy material but this is dependent upon public perception and can easily backfire.

I probably first said it before I generated the CPI, I definitely brought it up when Matt organized the installer, and I still say it regularly. I don't need to dig up my words; others believe me, because I am trustworthy and have demonstrated that. I am customarily kind and progressive, but I will not be attacked by anybody. We're here for a common project and shared entertainment, not for the assertion of dominance.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Lol you actually think ill read all this nonsense in the name of something as stupid as deciding who asked for it first?even as a joke its dumb..have fun elaborating on all this as much as you want..you can have the credit or whatever..
Oo
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

You called me a bastard. I am a bastard, doesn't mean you can make fun of it. Setting the record straight is merely a bonus. Nothing we ever do is original, don't presume to maintain an innovative high ground. There were those before us, but unlike you, I didn't insult them by attacking their present silence and claiming the voice they contributed to.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Gota wrote:put all major mods in..including gundam,kp,evo rts,pure,ca,ba,sa,xta,nota,s44...all of them..who cares it will take 400-500 megs..big f deal..people expect a serious game to take alot of space...
just have a selective installer that has tick boxes, then goes and downloads all the mods that are ticked

easy as that, it just takes time and effort to make which is hard to come by sadly, not to mention bandwidth
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

optimally, there would be a tab in the lobby by the name of My Games or somesuch. in the tab would be a list of all the currently maintained mods and links to d/l their latest versions. it would be nice if you could "subscribe" to one to receive a message when a new version has been released or whatnot.

CA already has a nice program for their mod that does this, it would be great to incorporate it just in to spring's client and make it the official one for everybody.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

To be honest, there should be any mods or games in the spring installer.

The spring installer should cater for people wanting the spring engine, not people wanting to play with spring. It should have tech demo map, a tiny SDK mod and some docs along with the engine.

It should be content developers who provide the playable installers. The BA site and the BA installer, the CA site and the CA installer, the Starwars site and the Starwars installer.

While I can see the starwars people doing this (heck they already have a site), I seriously doubt Noize would make a BA site, and until all the major games/mods have a site we're unlikely to see any change for the better regarding installers.

Return to “Ingame Community”