32 Players

32 Players

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

REVENGE

32 Players

Post by REVENGE »

Oh it's that time again. I'm asking for 32 unique ally ID support in the lobby server and in the lobby client. Is it true that whoeverhisnameis isn't being a nazi with the lobby server code anymore? If so, I request this feature be implemented, granted it's not a hassle. Or granted I could submit a patch for the code itself, I'd do that.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Re: 32 Players

Post by BrainDamage »

i have a branch in SpringLobby where i added that, the problem is that spring have hardcoded max 16 players start postions so it would work only in commshare
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Brain Damage wrote:i have a branch in SpringLobby where i added that, the problem is that spring have hardcoded max 16 players start postions so it would work only in commshare
I thought that wasn't true, that in the engine, you can have 32 unique coms, but the lobby server can't handle it?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

The engine supports 32 unique players, not 32 unique
teams ("commanders" if you prefer). Any team is always
controlled by one or more players.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

the opposite
http://imagebin.ca/view/47hg6T0.html

EDIT: what he said
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Brain Damage wrote:the opposite

Gives me a timeout. Where is this code? Can it be changed?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

REVENGE wrote:
Brain Damage wrote:the opposite

Gives me a timeout. Where is this code? Can it be changed?
In the spring source. Yes. I can't tell you how trivial it would be though.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I'm against this, I don't think we need 16v16 DSD :\
Gota

Post by Gota »

If someone is willing to submit a patch why not.
People are upgrading their systems to duel and quad cores.Why not allow for bigger games and maps..
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

8v8 noobfests r bad enuff i dread to think of 16v16 and peeps quitting spring cos the games lag like hell but every1 just wants 32 player games

no good can come of this

16 is way more than enuff
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Well when looking at Spring as an engine and at non-TA mods which don't house lots of differents units but only very few you can control at once something like upping the player limit to 32 might not be the worst idea...
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

wtf I agree with otherside Oo :P
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

... why not give people the freedom to choose what they want?

It's not like, you'll be forced to join such huge games and endure the horrible, horrible pains. Stop trying to screw others over because *you* wouldn't like it.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Vadi wrote:... why not give people the freedom to choose what they want?

It's not like, you'll be forced to join such huge games and endure the horrible, horrible pains. Stop trying to screw others over because *you* wouldn't like it.
Exactly :\
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Peet wrote:
Vadi wrote:... why not give people the freedom to choose what they want?

Exactly :\

Thirded
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

I don't think the possibility of bad games really matters, though there should be some warning since I imagine 32 players would have a hard time playing most mods and people who don't host often would automatically grab the largest possible number..

maybe if mapnotes were displayed a bit bigger in the battle room and they all started with "Recommended players: 8 or less", for example.

or even a box you have to check before you can host for over 16 in the hosting menu.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Look, tbh, I don't expect a "viable" 32 player game until the engine gets optimized more and we can play Epic without having to path for half an hour. If anything, Spring needs to focus on bug-fixing and optimization for the next two to three releases.

I'm going to look into how start positions are generated and see if it's an easy fix. If not, devs don't divert your time and energy to adding this because it's not that important. Thanks for the responses, I'll look into it myself.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Err, since our doxygen is gone, where do I get documentation for the sc?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

the reason its a bad idea is cause spring players (the majority) seem to always want the biggest games possible. If a new player joins one of these 32 player games of say DSD and sees how laggy/retarded/unplayable it is (but people keep on hosting it for the luls) it will put off new users..

16 is alot (sometimes i wish it was capped to 10) check most of the mods/games made for spring none of them are really made for anything more than 16 players..

giving the option of 32 players when realistically spring atm (more in terms of the mods on offer) wont be able to handle it.. It would give spring a bad image offering a service which it cant handlein the first place.

only mod atm i can think of which would be valid for 32 players is com shooter :S

if you could make the player maximum a inbuilt mod option that would be better. Modders/Game makers shoud be allowed to designate at what ammount of players there game can reasonably run at..

Im pretty sure BA and CA dev's wouldnt want it to go past 16 dunno about other mods
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I was thinking of just letting players know to tone down their graphics settings for such a game.

Return to “Ingame Community”