Bimonthly Ladder Resets

Bimonthly Ladder Resets

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

flop

Bimonthly Ladder Resets

Post by flop »

We are thinking about having http://www.spring-league.com reset on a monthly, bimonthly, or even seasonal basis. A lot of people get a bad ranking and get discouraged and quit playing. This way everyone could have a fresh start every month or two. This would also be more competitive in that people would be fighting for the top spots more often, as they would be easier to take. Currently there are lots of players on the ladder who havent played in months, and a lot of the games on the ladder are so old that the players skills have changed since then. Meltrax is going to implement a reset system this weekend, and we want your thoughts on the idea.
Last edited by flop on 30 Jan 2008, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
PRO_rANDY

Re: Bimonthly Ladder Resets

Post by PRO_rANDY »

Resets are good but is it possible to have an "all time" ladder too which saves all the seasons onto it? or an archive of every season? so if i never come top again i have good times to remember...
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

Did anyone click that link? :D edit: link is fixed now

Yes, andy, that's possible.. :P

It's too late to write more..
Last edited by MelTraX on 30 Jan 2008, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
flop

Post by flop »

PRO_rANDY wrote:Resets are good but is it possible to have an "all time" ladder too which saves all the seasons onto it? or an archive of every season? so if i never come top again i have good times to remember...
lol andy never coming top again
that will be the day

but yeah an archive would be a good idea, i donno about an overall ladder tho, id kindof like to have the competition going on on the montly ladder. maybe if it was a separate page or something
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think it should be by ladder, not by the whole site. We should get a clean slate now, but I know that some ladders will want different periods before being wiped.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I think the reset ladder is a way better system anyways. Rank the top 3 players every reset period with some sort of ladder award and then let players collect the rankings as a permanent figure of rank. The never resetting ladder is just useless, it makes it impossible to gain ground because you're always living down your worst moments, and you're always competing against the best moments of other players.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

SwiftSpear wrote:I think the reset ladder is a way better system anyways. Rank the top 3 players every reset period with some sort of ladder award and then let players collect the rankings as a permanent figure of rank.
+1
pewpewJLZ

Post by pewpewJLZ »

i'd vote for a bi-monthly or quarterly reset. every month seems a bit too often imo

i like swiftspear's idea
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Reset is fail, then nobody really gets a chance to get out of the 1500 noob range.

More games = higher resolution = more accuracy and more points in the system, which = more distance between noobs and pros which = more accuracy.
Gota

Post by Gota »

you could have a system than resets each month but stores,calculates and displayes the sum of the calcualtions in a ladder fation of each month's results,that way you get a "sum" ladder and a monthly one .
The first will show the sum of your skill since the ladder started and the second your current skill.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I have to mention that such elaborate statistics and information can only exist when a very good system has been devised to show and organize them.
Until such system exists it doesnt even matter if you restarrt each month or not.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Saktoth wrote:Reset is fail, then nobody really gets a chance to get out of the 1500 noob range.

More games = higher resolution = more accuracy and more points in the system, which = more distance between noobs and pros which = more accuracy.
That depends on the algorithm being used.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

this would be fairly cool, maybe with a ladder autohost?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

BaNa wrote:this would be fairly cool, maybe with a ladder autohost?
Get me the ladder back up and LadderNeddie should return. Can't promise it will only play SA/BA of course.
Gota

Post by Gota »

:(
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I happen to support a lot more games than just those, you know, Gota.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I know,deep down,but i try to supress that knowledge.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

A pity, you need not be narrow in mind.
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

btw: the ladder is back at http://springladder.no-ip.org/

since the URL changed, the auto-report from the lobby will only work after Satirik changed the URL.. I would guess he already has done so but you would have to download the new version.. someone tell him to make a statement here :P

there aren't any news on the reset system though.. I'm very sorry about that but I have no time atm to work on Spring stuff :(
Vadi

Post by Vadi »

A system that computes values and then divides them by the time is a good one.

To explain - let's say you won 3 battles. One a month ago, one two weeks ago, and one today. The one a month ago will get divided by like, lets say, 8. One two weeks ago by 4. One today 1. So older battles weight less, newer more.

This eliminates the problem of a really good player going dormant - eventually his points will be dropping.

(Idea not original, stolen from here: https://help.launchpad.net/KarmaCalcula ... 28karma%29)

Return to “Ingame Community”