spring has no good players

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

flop

Post by flop »

discuss
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

agree
[XIII]Roxas

Post by [XIII]Roxas »

Lock.
flop

Post by flop »

why? im just seeing peoples ideas on the topic, its always seemed wierd to me the low skill level in spring and the fact that we only have 3 or so top notch players in the entire community; day, andy, and heze.
Last edited by flop on 05 Dec 2007, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Lion_heart.
flop

Post by flop »

lion lol? me/det > lion
(1v1 at least)
[XIII]Roxas

Post by [XIII]Roxas »

Fine, I'll play along.

Top notch by who's opinion? By definition, Spring is not a game. It is an engine. Indeed, there are multiple games within said engine. So really, those are three top-notch players in the game known as BA, yes.

What about other games? Com Shooter? Expand and Exterminate? S44? Simbase? NOTA, CA, etc.?
flop

Post by flop »

im talking in general rts skills
most of the good players tend to play ba though
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

flop wrote:lion lol? me/det > lion
(1v1 at least)
Since when.
flop

Post by flop »

last ladder my 1v1 record with him was about 8-5 me, me and det were neck and neck
[XIII]Roxas

Post by [XIII]Roxas »

All "Good" Players play BA?

Who's definition of good, hmm? The best at Metal Maker Economies? The best at flash-spam? The best at micro-ing said Spam?
LionHeart

Post by LionHeart »

Errm.. Somones Ego is HIGH TODAY! :shock:
flop

Post by flop »

matt's the one who brought it up and asked... :| this thread wasnt made to compare specific people, just to discuss why spring has so few top notch players.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Topic, please.

I reopened this thread because Det reminded me of some ideals I've lost sight of. Just stay on topic lads, Flop does have a point.

This is not about specific games, however. This discussion does apply to all games, with no judgment upon any of them.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

The one player who never ever gets a mention in these great player lists is Cabbage.
I don't know why, it's weird, but if the Cab man spent half the time other players did playing 1v1 he'd rule this place and probably the entire world / galaxy
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Top notch by who's opinion? By definition, Spring is not a game. It is an engine. Indeed, there are multiple games within said engine. So really, those are three top-notch players in the game known as BA, yes.

What about other games? Com Shooter? Expand and Exterminate? S44? Simbase? NOTA, CA, etc.?
i've seen day win pretty much every game he's played, be it e&e, ca, or XTA.

andy is pretty much the only one in par with day imo, they both have insane level of understanding of the game, andy's self-d'ing llts in the middle of flash hordes for example, i've never seen anyone else do things like these ingame before andy, and even after there are very few people who can give him any sort of challenge.

heze is one of the best also, him being in your team pretty much meant a win, but he hasnt been here for a long time.
why? im just seeing peoples ideas on the topic, its always seemed wierd to me the low skill level in spring and the fact that we only have 3 or so top notch players in the entire community; day, andy, and heze.
as far as i know there's several clans who pretty much played among themselves competitively, WarC, PRO, and some guys from LCC, and a few others. These guys were in the first page of the first ba ladder when it came. And after the ladder broke, pretty much everyone i know stopped playing.

And this is pretty much the reason why we are lacking "top notch" players.

There is no competition. Even if you spent time playing spring , you will have pretty much no other decent people to play. And people saying something about other mods is absurd, how can a mod that has like 5 active players ever hope to achieve decent level of play?

The truth is that everyone i know to be good has played AA;
all WarC, PRO, heze, etc have played mostly 1v1 AA, and later on 1v1 BA. But the current state of mind for most of the spring players is to play teamgames, i've tried to host 1v1 CA a few times, but never gotten any players. Teamgames on the other hand are always hosted and joined. When i asked some people to join and play the answer was "i dont play 1v1". How can anyone even dream of actually winning any old farts who still hang around here when their mental state is like this?
The one player who never ever gets a mention in these great player lists is Cabbage.
I don't know why, it's weird, but if the Cab man spent half the time other players did playing 1v1 he'd rule this place and probably the entire world / galaxy
oh shush and go host your 4v4 xantherra ;>
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

one of the problems is the small playerbase and the 1on1-gap. What I mean by that is this: When I played 1on1s, I could pretty much beat every casual teamplayer regularly. However, pretty much all experienced 1on1 players (and thus pretty much everybody who played ladder regularly) ate me for breakfast. There is this skill-gap, and it's very frustrating to be in, as practicing is only really fun if you win some times and lose other times.

A seamless advancement in skill is only really fun in a game with a matchmaking feature and enough players online that you can find a good opponent or two.

edit: that said, i wish someone would find a way to fix the really-slow-mouse-cursor-on-linux bug so i can get back to 1on1ing. At my peak I managed give some pretty good people quite a fight on comet.
Day

Post by Day »

annoying for you? were the ones who host a game for 2 hours and in that time get maybe 2 players (who we then roll over in 10 minutes)

this was based on me hosting CA last night ~~.

and il just name decent/good players i can think of right now.

andy/heze/sleksa/flopflop/det/lionheart/Demo/noize/saktoth/steven/cabbage/wilsby/ginekolog

could prolly think of some more but not right now i gotta go :P

ps: ohnoes i forgot MYSELF KEKEKE/ego
smoth

Post by smoth »

yes, spring needs more good players. BRING ON THE WOMENZ! I want to see day in action!
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

Day wrote:annoying for you? were the ones who host a game for 2 hours and in that time get maybe 2 players (who we then roll over in 10 minutes)
Surely you can see that getting rolled over in 10 minutes is just a frustrating as rolling over everyone in 10 minutes?

Return to “Ingame Community”