Air drops are NOT fail.

Air drops are NOT fail.

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

HeavyLancer

Air drops are NOT fail.

Post by HeavyLancer »

Some people have been talking about how air drops are bad in BA and don't work. In any case though, I wanted to show this:

http://replays.unknown-files.net/?420 :twisted:

Air drop ownage with 'gaters and pyros, coordinated between 2 team mates. I supplied the pyros.

And now a brief essay on drops:

Air drops work in BA, but only when:
  • 3 players, two air and one kbot rushes them with warriors and t1 transporters, one player making scouts (warrior drops are saktoth's favourite)
Or
  • Later on someone uses dragonflies to drop cans/bulldogs into the base.
Air drops require finesse and co-ordination between players, which is why most people don't use them.
They require a scouting player who rushes air scouts at the start, a transport maker and a player to make the units to drop.
Scouting is the difference between a 'D-Day' and a 'Gallipoli' style landing. If there is too much AA, scout a different area or make sure you clear the area with gunships and fighters first. If you are rushing an air drop then this shouldn't be a problem, but if they do, go for a frontal assault or take the rest of the map to punish them for porcing :lol:

More experienced players, please tear this apart and critique so that it may be improved. :-)
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

quotte:
3 players, two air and one kbot rushes them with warriors and t1 transporters, one player making scouts (warrior drops are saktoth's favourite)
//

Wait so the 1 kbot starter and 2 air stop 3 opponents spaeming gator?
lol no u
pintle

Post by pintle »

rushing scout planes is a good way of saying "hai guyz i maek air maek yur aa reel quick plz" to your enemies
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

You rush scouts just before you drop pintle.
Also, don't try drops in small team games. 4v4 or bigger should be good. And 2 air is IDEAL, not practical.
manored

Post by manored »

I think that you need just one player for a airdrop and it can work impressively well in maps that tend to have sparsely occupied areas, and even straigh in the enemy base can work well since people rarely are ready to counter landing units there.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

airdrops are only useful if there is a gap in attacking/fighting so you can micromanage it, the other players are unaware of the presence of air (or you have enough air for AA not to matter) and if you make sure there isnt a sack of AA or a commander waiting at the landing site
manored

Post by manored »

Anti-air doesnt really matters that much if at least a few of the units manage to land and there be no defenses against ground near by. Beside areas where there will most likely be nothing, areas that cannot be attacked from ground also tend to be nice for a airdrop... If whoever is there doesnt haves much AA of course! :)
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

In this case, a little more of less AA on the enemy's side would've meant not just success or failure, but possibly huge amounts of resources wasted. It always depends on the setting, and a good dropper will always use scouts and know when to turn back.
manored

Post by manored »

REVENGE wrote:In this case, a little more of less AA on the enemy's side would've meant not just success or failure, but possibly huge amounts of resources wasted. It always depends on the setting, and a good dropper will always use scouts and know when to turn back.
Well I got nothing against scouting :) I even think people should scout before ever organized attack if they wanna success. But scouting haves a problem: It can reveal to your enemy your intentions, and if you scout only before the attack you might discover too late that the attack you were planning is not going to work... just details that make the mod more fun :)
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

who ever said airdrops are fail?

airdrops tend to be more viable in
-bigger games
-maps designed in such a way to promote them
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

2 air is never ideal. You should never have more than 1 air player, up until late t1, at the stumpy/hlt phase of the game (Where people can get air as second fac but shouldnt reclaim their first fac for it).

Airdrops are ideal on porcier maps where the enemy has a single chokepoint where most of his defenses are (Altored especially).

There are four main types of airdrops:

The base drop. The enemy is not expected air and has no AA. You unload your units directly into the middle of his base and tear it up before he can react. In this case, always scout directly before your atlas's go in, while they are waiting with their load just outside the target area, ready to go. Every second that he knows you have air is a second he can use to get AA up. If your scout reveals he has AA in his base (Despite you not having used air), just change tac and go for the second kind of drop.

The back drop. You have used gunships, bombers, or have otherwise given your air away, so the enemy has put AA over his base to counter this. However there is still a section behind his base (Perhaps even his windfarms) which has no AA where you can safely drop. With this drop you can afford to scout meticulously well before the assault, as he is already expecting an air attack.

If he survives this kind of airdrop, he needs to place AA in any position you might be able to drop from (All along the hills in altored or charlie). This takes a lot more resources and spreads the AA a lot thinner than just putting AA around his base.

The Commander ambush drop. In this airdrop you drop your units around his commander, surrounding him, then you pick him up with the now empty atlas, preventing him from d-gunning (Or, against an inattentive player, napping him). On com ends, this is devastating. Note that comnapping is lame and if you do this in most team games you deserve a whuppin'.

Com/Con drop. To rapidly secure an area, drop your com/cons early on and get defenses and a kbot lab up. Favourite tactic on tabula. You can also drop your com near his base, but doing this against any good player will make them make some AA so you cant get conplanes up there, then combomb you and reclaim it. You were asking for it, if he does this.
(warrior drops are saktoth's favourite)
Warrior drops are sefidels favourite. I also enjoy warrior drops but i am not 'Oh god, he is going to try and comnap us and use drop warriors again.' the way sefi is.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sefidel needs to try new things.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

(warrior drops are saktoth's favourite)
Warrior drops are sefidels favourite. I also enjoy warrior drops but i am not 'Oh god, he is going to try and comnap us and use drop warriors again.' the way sefi is.[/quote]

I'm sorry, my mistake. Sef's drops are quite lethal though.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Saktoth makes awesome posts tbh.
PRO_rANDY

Post by PRO_rANDY »

i think air drops are very effective and use them whenever i can :-)
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

I've seen worse strat articles in "Official" strategy guides. Very nice post Saltoth! :P
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Saktoth wrote:Note that comnapping is lame and if you do this in most team games you deserve a whuppin'.
Not really if you aren't paying attention you deserve to lose.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Quanto042 wrote:I've seen worse strat articles in "Official" strategy guides. Very nice post Saltoth! :P
saltoth is a kewl guy 8)
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

oh jesus, it was 8am, gimme a break >_>
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Quanto042 wrote:oh jesus, it was 8am, gimme a break >_>
No.

Sefidel has gotten better at airdropping these days. Also, Level 2 airdrops are much more lethal, especially if Dragonflies come and paralyze all your flak cannons first. Huzzah! :twisted:

Return to “Ingame Community”