Pro star special

Pro star special

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoy64

Pro star special

Post by Zoy64 »

i think that when you get the star or a certain amount of hours, you should be able to receive an award. I dont know what, but something like an unlockable or the ability to talk on a certain forum or something.
i hope you guys see what i mean.

having something of this nature would give people a reason to play for 100+ hours.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Additional incentive? Eh.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

How about giving people points based upon every unit they kill, then these points can be used to unlock units and special godpowers ingame?

wait,

:roll:
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

that could work :idea:

now what about special colors, like spots or chrome?
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

When a units gets lots of experience it could get golden protrusions sticking out of it.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

no, i mean something like, you spend an amount of points and you can unlock colors for you team, like polka dots or the ability to make your own colors from pictures you have
DemO

Post by DemO »

There is a massive potential consumer base of "stat whores" to take advantage of. If spring can offer the masses of stat whores out there something to work towards, such as achievements (Xbox360), a more diverse range of "battle ranks" such as in C&C/battlefield/quake wars franchises then player retention will increase.

Many people like challenges, goals, thinks to achieve in games they play, for a number of different reasons. Hell, there are entire games franchises in which the core gameplay largely involves updating character stats. Think of RPG's and MMO's. The same can apply to RTS, and it can't be hard to implement.

A simple player profile which is linked to Spring or even just individual mods is something that would appeal to a large number of people. Certainly, I'd be one to jump on board and a considerable amount of time gaming in Spring, if not for any other reason, simply to boost my player stats/achievements because even the stupidest of things can be rewarding so long as you get some sense of achievement or acknowledgment as an end result.

Neddie hit the nail on the head. Additional incentive is a surprisingly powerful thing, even if the incentive is something as simple as an image that fills in with added brightness and colour once you've completed an achievement.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Imo in game time should not impact on gameplay options at all. The idea of some reward for not getting out enough/playing a lot of spring certainly appeals to me, but I would rail against anything that gave the more experienced player the upper hand (a la almost every MMORPG evAr) because being pwned by a guy 2 lvls above you in better kit is the reason MMO's fail and RTS's dont.
DemO

Post by DemO »

Of course, anything that gives a competitive advantage or is directly linked to benefits in the game is out of the question. However, any sort of "record" system of what each player has achieved becomes very appealing to a large number of people. Instead of only having your word to show for your commitment/dedication/skill/achievements there is, if you like, a visual log of this, which gives the user a better sense of achievement because the results of his efforts are clearly displayed, all be it in an image, number or some text.

Gives people new challenges and inherently gives the user something specific to achieve. It has massive implications towards becoming a more adept player of Spring mods (challenges make people excel at what they do. Set a high standard and people will achieve it provided that there is some form of recognition). Furthermore, it would help to establish a better definition of how skillful or experienced a player is (for balancing players between teams), and importantly, people enjoy trying to achieve objectives. In some ways, its quite comparable to a single player campaign, where the user is given a list of tasks to complete, but these could be done online against other players.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I think unlocking new tech levels (balanced with the rest of the mod) would be an awesome achievement..

You are now: Commander First Rank, you can now build the Advanced War Factory.

Stuff like that, where its not unbalanced, because it still costs metal and energy and doesn't build super fast, it just gives you some more units to dominate with..

You would also need to limit how much stronger each new Tech level is, if you have 10 tech levels and each unit gets twice as strong as the last, you will encounter elitism problems. If you have 2 or less unlockable tech levels which are only 1.3 times as strong as the last (or, the strength of tech 1 compared to tech 2, whatever) then you can have it fairly balanced, but the guy with higher techs has a slightly sharper edge, or a new tactic to be utilized...
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

it doesnt have to be like, 100 hrs, maybe 150 or 200. something that people would work for.

What about an achievement thing, say easy challenges such as building an Arm and Core base in the same game to something harder such as building 500+ tanks or something.

and by copleting these challenges you would get medals or "points"
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Snipawolf wrote:I think unlocking new tech levels (balanced with the rest of the mod) would be an awesome achievement..

You are now: Commander First Rank, you can now build the Advanced War Factory.

Stuff like that, where its not unbalanced, because it still costs metal and energy and doesn't build super fast, it just gives you some more units to dominate with..

You would also need to limit how much stronger each new Tech level is, if you have 10 tech levels and each unit gets twice as strong as the last, you will encounter elitism problems. If you have 2 or less unlockable tech levels which are only 1.3 times as strong as the last (or, the strength of tech 1 compared to tech 2, whatever) then you can have it fairly balanced, but the guy with higher techs has a slightly sharper edge, or a new tactic to be utilized...
That's a mod-side idea; this is a client-side discussion.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Generals had the "maek 100 tankzzz!" or whatever achievements, they were pretty cool.

Maybe something like a an icon representing the number of com kills that player has (hugely open to abuse/cheating, but still pretty cool imo)
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i think we are going off the original topic, getting something for becoming a pro
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The problem is, I can't really think of any reward I would want to give experienced players that I'm comfortable withholding from everyone else
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Stats whores will do anything to increase their stats. If the stats are win/loss ratio they'll disconnect from games they are losing or kick the opposing team or whatever it takes to make the loss not register. They'll refuse to join games they aren't sure they can win, especially maps or mods they don't know.

I don't think Spring needs that, the people who are good enough to brag about it are known to everyone anyway.
DemO

Post by DemO »

You're all too fucking negative. Work around these sorts of things then. Have a stats system that updates ON THE FLY so it doesn't only register at end game. That way, it makes no difference whether you leave or not. And if you think kill to death ratio would be an important measure in an RTS, you're fucking mental. Sure. It's worth a mention, but tbh it has a very weak impact on the win % or results.

Anyways. Rant over. You all just disregard things because all you can think about are negatives. Problems with people leaving games etc would not be much of a big deal IMO. IF this happened, all you need to do is add another stat to your stats page that says "uncompleted games percentage" or something like that. Then it would be obvious who was being a retard and leaving/dropping from games all the time to try and preserve stats. Hosts could simply stop these people from playing in their games, or even better, make it a host option to filter by player stats. Far more specific than "experienced rank only" on a battle.
pintle

Post by pintle »

I'm just gonna repost the idea that a comkill-o-meter would be maed of win and stuff
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Tracking simply time spent playing just like the current system is good since it dosn't have any effect on how people play the game. Anything else would give incentives to start doing unnatural and bad stuff. Like kills/death ratio of units would make people start avoiding light units and stuff, totally retarded. Wins/loss ratio, more stacked teams yay! Tracking comkills, then people will start to mindlessly go after enemy commanders neglecting other aspects in team play.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

DemO wrote:Have a stats system that updates ON THE FLY so it doesn't only register at end game. That way, it makes no difference whether you leave or not. And if you think kill to death ratio would be an important measure in an RTS, you're fucking mental. Sure. It's worth a mention, but tbh it has a very weak impact on the win % or results.

Anyways. Rant over. You all just disregard things because all you can think about are negatives. Problems with people leaving games etc would not be much of a big deal IMO. IF this happened, all you need to do is add another stat to your stats page that says "uncompleted games percentage" or something like that. Then it would be obvious who was being a retard and leaving/dropping from games all the time to try and preserve stats. Hosts could simply stop these people from playing in their games, or even better, make it a host option to filter by player stats. Far more specific than "experienced rank only" on a battle.
What about matches where a player was kicked? Some people would kick their enemies and perhaps leave one around so that one gets so annoyed he quits. Instant win.

Return to “Ingame Community”