Bot policy

Bot policy

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Tobi
Spring Developer

Bot policy

Post by Tobi »

Recommendations & rules regarding (chat) bot usage on the server:
  1. As a bot owner, always ask the channel owner whether they agree with the bot being in their channel. This applies to #main too, owner being any of the Server Administrators.
  2. Don't complain if your bot gets kicked / banned / muted because you put it in a channel without asking the owner for permission first.
  3. Don't make your bot auto reconnect to the server if it's kicked, because if it's kicked then that's for a reason. If it reconnects, it may be banned.
  4. If you are a channel owner and you got a bot in your channel and you don't want it there, whether or not you wanted it there before: First, contact the bot owner and ask him to remove the bot from your channel (or use the bot's command to leave a channel). If he doesn't listen to you, contact a server moderator to kick/ban the bot.
  5. Do not connect a bot harmful to other users to the server. This includes but is not limited to bots with a !spam (or similar) command and bots that swear in public channels.
  6. Bots that message users or channels without the user, channel or channel owner giving explicit permission are looked upon very seriously. Read: a bot should only message a user or channel the answer/reply to the specific command that user or channel sent to that bot.
  7. Do not attack bots or use bots to attack other users or bots.
  8. Bots may not join/speak in #newbies
And last but not least:
Agreement.rtf wrote:You agree that the administrators and moderators of this server have the right to mute, kick or ban you at any time should they see fit.
This does apply to bots too, of course.
Last edited by abma on 14 Oct 2014, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I would request that bots with ban functions be forced to implement the !banlist command and any bots that mute implement the !mutelist command too. A reason other than "youve been banned" or "I dont like you *insert insult*" should be given.

Neither command should be restricted to operators, including chanserv (chanservs limit can be circumvented by typing MUTELIST channelname in $local).
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

Why? If someone registers a chan, it is well within his rights to ban or mute people for no reason. If the channel founder doesn't want you in his channel, then don't be there.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If I sign on and find a new bot has not joined a channel, how do I know wether that bots failed or if the bots banned? Without making it rejoin and provoking the founders wrath and violating the bot policy at the same time?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Banning a bot doesn't constitute informing the owner of the bot that the bot has been banned or why. A bot owner is not violating his policy taking actions on the bot if he's not aware of disciplinary action being taken against him. That is unless he's taking measures to intentionally stay ignorant.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Can we add some sort of corollary to ban empty/useless autohost/bots (to stop people spamming the server with them)?

http://smuggoat.net/?p=116
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

That particular issue has been dealt with. I think the normal rules & common sense are sufficient for all other cases.
Iz3

Re: Bot policy

Post by Iz3 »

More bots than players on Spring? oO
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Are there any rules for game hosting [bots]? I was unable to find any.
Floris

Post by Floris »

check the date first before necro-ing a 7 year old thread?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

all is fine, I am a necromancer.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Are there any rules for game hosting [bots]? I was unable to find any.
https://springrts.com/wiki/Botflags, which is linked to from the other sticky in this forum.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I miss the time when Tobi and other sensible people were in charge of spring.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

A brutal dictator with a iron fist, not so soft- somebody like me would have been banned to cyberia on day one.
Those where the days.

Return to “Ingame Community”