RAI v0.601

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

Reth
AI Developer

RAI v0.601

Post by Reth »

Download Link:
None, The version released with spring is up to date.

Source-Code Download Link (spring v0.77b5):
http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1520

Mod support issues & other information
http://springrts.com/wiki/AI:RAI
Last edited by Reth on 04 Nov 2009, 00:26, edited 42 times in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

source code?
silv

Post by silv »

good job so far, i played the ai on core_faf with the current aa-mod and i saw some nice basics covered, like taking the geo early (but not defending it) and a good expansion going on, including teching up at a good time.
but try to get a basic buildorder for every mod+side, your ai just built a lab, then a missile tower and only then a solar, so it had an energy-stall and made no extra metal in the buildtime. also it built several e-stores after 3 minutes or so, which makes no sense to me (are these built randomly? shouldn't be) and it built 2 anti-bomber aa very early, i hope this was random ;). After attacking the AI a bit it regrouped sometimes, but the groups' different speeds werent taken into consideration.
Reth
AI Developer

Post by Reth »

AF wrote:source code?
I intended to clean up the source code a bit before that, code segments commented out and such. Maybe some minimal amount of documentation. For the moment, no, but eventually yes.
silp wrote:... your ai just built a lab, then a missile tower and only then a solar, so it had an energy-stall and made no extra metal in the buildtime. also it built several e-stores after 3 minutes or so, which makes no sense to me (are these built randomly? shouldn't be) and it built 2 anti-bomber aa very early, i hope this was random Wink. After attacking the AI a bit it regrouped sometimes, but the groups' different speeds werent taken into consideration.
...the stalling problem seems to be the result of a last minute change. Regarding the other issues... Anti-air/Anti-land is all in the same build list right now (this will change in the next release). There are no attack groups right now, the individual units try to stay at their best weapon distant if they can out-range their target. However, the energy storage problem sounds strange, storage is only built out of need. I can't recall it building more that 1 or maybe a second one later in the game (AA, XTA). Some other mod maybe, or was the first one was destroyed?
silv

Post by silv »

no, it was AA. download the replay if you like (AI is in upper right corner).
Reth
AI Developer

Post by Reth »

regarding the previously mentioned problems:
I did come across the energy storage problem that you were describing, so that's fixed. Anti-air/Anti-land is still the same build list, I hadn't finished separating them.
silv

Post by silv »

Thanks for the new release, I think I noticed some improvements. The AI tried to tech up and used some ranged weapons.
For future improvement I think you shouldnt build all 4 kinds of units (in AA) but concentrate on some that work well on the specific kind of map (esp. no flimsy hovers on land-maps, stop building planes that are shot down by long range AntiAir). Also the defense placement is ok but not too good, there is too much of the stronger defense built on zones of less attack-possibility (sides on the map) and the defense is placed too defensively. You can watch the replay of my first 0.35 game if you like. I tried to give the AI some time to build proper and attack. The weakest point of your AI is probably the lack of aggressive expansion throughout the whole game, conquer important space (and ressources) and try to hold on to it. Also I didnt see any metalmakers to cover up for lack of owned metal patches, but maybe I just overlooked them, it's late over here :)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

silp wrote:the defense is placed too defensively.
but isnt that.. *frowns*
silv

Post by silv »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
silp wrote:the defense is placed too defensively.
but isnt that.. *frowns*
no it isnt ;) what's the point of defense pretty much in the middle or back of your base? ok, it could be helpful if some units break through other defense lines, but then wouldnt it be better to have the ressources for the back-defense invested in the front-defense in the first place - so it probably would hold up? (i'm not saying rai places defenses only in the way i described it, but there are improvements to be made :))
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Nothing wrong with an all out defense, it's better than defensive lines.
CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

I put RAI in the globalAI folder but it doesn't show in the list of AI when hosting a game

what gives? :(
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The fodlers changed in 0.73, you should be putting it in AI/Bot-libs/

delete your aidll folder, its deadweight.
bwansy

Post by bwansy »

It crashed in Spring v0.74b1 with XTA v8.1.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

None of the Ais should work with 0.74 save the ABI test builds, and the AAI that came with 0.74.

And maybe some dev builds of CSAI and NTai floating around that arent under public release.....

They need recompiling, and it has to be under Mingw32 unless the C interface has been supported...
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Hi!
Its works well with my mod, the TA_BattleFleet, that is naval oriented.
Ships, shipyards and all stuff for a naval battle is built.
The only trouble is that anti-air capable ships not were built, only a few PTs.This unbalanced the game as the airforce shredded the naval forces, that have all kinds of ships, but not the ones that could cover the skyes from attacks.My mod have in the level one little frigates with all purpose missiles and depth charges, and I never saw one built.The pts, a cheaper option to deal with planes,only one or two were built. Is it could changed??
Defences, including the naval ones are OK.The best thing is that your AI fires nukes!Was a bad surprise :lol: ...Im kidding :wink:
When Ive tested with a mutator that limit the fuel/ammo of planes, I realized that, for a better balance I will need more pads & carriers.Is it possible?
About the AI expansion I think that is good, because cons planes are built early in the game and build defs and resources.
VonGratz :wink:
jerebaldo1

Post by jerebaldo1 »

All links are broken
Reth
AI Developer

Post by Reth »

Regarding spring v0.74b1:
up until now, I have been working off of the Source code released on this web site, v0.74b1's isn't up yet. So, it will probably be a couple more days before I can work on it.

VonGratz wrote:Hi!
The only trouble is that anti-air capable ships not were built, only a few PTs.This unbalanced the game as the airforce shredded the naval forces, that have all kinds of ships, but not the ones that could cover the skyes from attacks.My mod have in the level one little frigates with all purpose missiles and depth charges, and I never saw one built.The pts, a cheaper option to deal with planes,only one or two were built. Is it could changed?? ...
When Ive tested with a mutator that limit the fuel/ammo of planes, I realized that, for a better balance I will need more pads & carriers.Is it possible? ...
The first problem sounds like it will go away after I separate the Anti-Air/Anti-Lands build lists, in progress.
As for the second, I probably should have the construction of air-bases dependent on how many aircraft are currently being used, right now it isn't which leads to the reason I have them build so few, since they may not being using any at all. At some point in the future, yes, but right now their are too many other things that I want to improve.
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Reth wrote:As for the second, I probably should have the construction of air-bases dependent on how many aircraft are currently being used, right now it isn't which leads to the reason I have them build so few, since they may not being using any at all. At some point in the future, yes, but right now their are too many other things that I want to improve.
When possible, put something like one pad for 10 to 12 planes in action(?!).It can include, when in sea maps, carriers and floatingpads, that means all that have isairbase=1; tag in unit file.
Thanks
VonGratz :wink:
Reth
AI Developer

Post by Reth »

There really isn't too much difference between v0.35 through v0.40. The more significant changes I was working on were still incomplete, and remain unused. But since the last version seemed to be becoming increasingly unstable with the last 2 releases of spring, releasing the newer version become easier then recompiling/debugging v0.355.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I messed around with RAI vs KAI.
It sends way too many builders into contested areas where they get owned atm, pretty much everytime it had a builder, within a minute it'd be at the front, undefended, betting beats.

when its commander was reduced to red health, it ran away a bit, stopped, then ran back into the fight and kaboom. maybe it should be set to gaurd a factory after its been pummeled.

the reason KAI beat RAI is because KAI assists factories, RAI dosnt seem too. assisting factories is vital.

it built two factories at the same time early game, which is a bad idea.

maybe put a function in so it only builds the cheap defences in its base, making 1500 metal popups in its base seems a bit off.

great use of scouts.

awesome d-gunning!!

I really like this AI

Return to “AI”