AAI 0.70 released - Win + Linux version included - Page 4

AAI 0.70 released - Win + Linux version included

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Why did you hardcode AAI to always return true on its antistall algorithm and not doing any checks at all? And then never call the functions?
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Mobile artillery

Post by yuritch »

I've seen some questions about AAI and artillery. There is something that needs explaining: currently AAI will not use anything that it marks as "mobile artillery". Mobile artillery support seems to be planned for future versions. That means no tremors in AA, no mobile artys (there's a lot of them) in E&E, and so on. This can be (somewhat) changed by setting MOBILE_ARTY_RANGE in config to something really high. Mobile artys then will be seen as ground assault and will be used. The problem is, AI doesn't know they are not just tanks and often tries to use them as tanks (getting close to the enemy, moving constantly), and most mobile artillery units are ineffective when used that way (especially High Trajectory ones).
However, E&E artillery units are quite useful to the AI even in ground assault forces, especially those of them that do not use High Trajectory. My BOTA 1.3 config is based on low-trajectory mobile arty as wells, they work well for the AAI in that mod.
I'm not sure, but I think that If MOBILE_ARTY_RANGE is changed, learning files must be deleted, because some units will change their classes for the AI.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

submarine: when Berlios has space again, can you commit a visual studio 7 project for AAI?
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

i'll try although i'll be away for maybe 1-2 weeks (depending how fast the telephone comapny will move the dsl-line of my girlfriend)
sintri

Post by sintri »

Mars seems to be the only map I can run without getting some weird crash at the moment. Like on any maps with water or FF, the game would crash but the game screen would still stay up even though the system is still responding, it would stay like that even after windows exited and only fix is by turning the comp off or just hard reset. Anyhow, the other maps play fine withot using AAI and apparently Mars runs fine for me.
bamb

Post by bamb »

I played brazilian battlefields AA 2.11 a couple of times as ffa with kai and aai, they both worked and didn't crash. Kai was more aggressive in start, so aai was crushed.
bamb

Post by bamb »

ok, watched the replays. The AI:s play very stupidly.

AAI is obsessed with building solars and advanced solars, even if it has excess energy and little metal?!! So it stalls on metal constantly. It also builds a lot of antiair towers, although this can be attributed to "not learning". (KAI is for some reason much better in this regard)

And it doesn't fill the mex spots right near it either, but for some reason goes very far.

I can easily beat the AI:s already just because they don't build enough mexxes.

Also the AAI comm idles at times, which is poison in the early game.
sintri

Post by sintri »

Yea, ran another test with AA 2.11, Whakamutunga_Riri-04 ran fine so I'm guessing it's with water and land+water maps. Also getting an consult the ai dev error when trying to start it up with unit restrictions.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Dont run AI's with unit restrictions. None of the AI's are able to handle them right now.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

AAI, and many other AI's cannot manage metal not placed at discrete points....
Targon

Post by Targon »

it would pick up the background .3 metal on mars and thus it was able to have a better economy than KAi which, despite controlling 3/4th of the map was only harvesting the obvious spots.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

krogs mex algorithm wasnt designed with spring style mex patche sin mind, some fiddling is required to make it work near correclty on brazillian battlefields, but despite that it still makes some questionable placements...
krogothe
AI Developer

Post by krogothe »

AF wrote:krogs mex algorithm wasnt designed with spring style mex patche sin mind, some fiddling is required to make it work near correclty on brazillian battlefields, but despite that it still makes some questionable placements...
Actually it was explicitly made for "spring style metal maps", i know what it was designed for thanks :wink:. It takes one single variable change to make it recognize the 0.3m background mex spots (three keystrokes in the worst case), but as i said a few times already, feel 101% free to improve on my code and post a better version (so long as credit is given). Thanks for the tip targon, should be fixed for next version.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The problem si despite your design, it excels at doing the opposite, detecting OTA style patches.

I dotn want to detect the 0.3 metal though I want to detect the bigger once next to it. My raising the value needed to do this I filter out a lot fo OTA style mex patches. It should be done according to metal a mex would get rather than the value out of 25. Such a change would also fix AI mex placement on core prime industrial estate where all the AI's flock to the 2 high metal bits at the middle top/bottom despite there being metal everywhere.
sintri

Post by sintri »

hmm I can't get the 3rd bot in for Ice_Berg_V2, works fine with me and 2 other bots but with the third one I get the unhandled exception error. Works fine with the 3rd as EmptyAi.dll, cept there's not much point in having it there if it's empty anyhow. Anyone else getting this?

Nvm, even with it running, I'm still getting the "it crashed but the screen's frozen in place even though windows is still fully responsive and the screen stays in place even though window's already completly exited and won't turn off till the power's off" error. So, guess I can't really play water maps, it runs fine solo though, and on land with bots.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I generated a new .cfg for the newest experimental Gundam release which would be great if I could get it to work with the small commander, but that's another issue for another time...

How does the AI call defensive structure usage? I ask this because the one turret in Gundam is highly effective against swarms but the AI never uses it... though it does use the anti-air turret. I'd like to make the Gundam AAI more competent, so any help would be welcome. Can I deal with this .cfg side? Where can I sort this out?
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

In the latest Gundam (1.1r?) with AAI I've seen the AI use a ton of Federation Missile towers, and not so many Zeon Mega Particle Cannons. I got it using Unpossible's profile, un-changed.
unpossible

Post by unpossible »

FizWizz wrote:In the latest Gundam (1.1r?) with AAI I've seen the AI use a ton of Federation Missile towers, and not so many Zeon Mega Particle Cannons. I got it using Unpossible's profile, un-changed.
did you try to teach it those are not the best things/numbers to use by example & obliterating them?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

It never built any to begin with - ever. Even when I used them against it.

I'll look at your numbers, unpossible. When the next full release of Gundam comes out, one of us can release an optimized version.
Iceciro

Post by Iceciro »

Where do I dig up the AAI cfg for Spring Gundam?

Return to “AI”