AAI 0.55 - compatible with new spring version - Page 4

AAI 0.55 - compatible with new spring version

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

krogothe
AI Developer

Post by krogothe »

Making an AI dgun is very easy, now making it not dgun its whole base to catch a weasel is another story!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

It's working well with AATA, although I did get a crash last night during a huge game.
Hansolo88

Post by Hansolo88 »

I agree, it really is quite impressive. It masses forces, and manuevers on the battlefield rather than just walking in a straight line.

Also, after observing more games, it is starting to build more powerful defenses. I saw it build a Punisher for the first time last night. It also plays pretty well with both ARM and CORE which is impressive.

It does tend to build some silly units though. It especially loves to build transport hovercraft... I'm hoping at some point it will "learn" that those are retarded on a desert map. It's not like it knows how to transport units around anyways.

I think the reason it builds hovercraft at all is that it seems to want to build one factory of each type, 8 total factories, i.e. both vehicle plants, kbot labs, and aircraft plants as well as a hovercraft plant and gantry. Once it builds the hovercraft factory it builds hovercraft the rest of the game, even on all-land maps. It's not very efficient, but its not that big of a deal.

Regarding comm rushing/napping, you can hardly expect the AI to learn to deal with a tactic like that. At least an AI won't endlessly whine about it after the game.

I look forward to seeing how AAI handles water now, it really is shaping up well.
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

Andreask wrote: Sadly, it is extremely vulnerable to comm-rushes and comm-naps
i dont plan to take any measures to counter comm-rushes or comm-naps. since i think these are really lame tatics and the game is not meant to be played that well. furthermore both of these issues are xta/aa/ota related - other mods like ta:wd, sw:ta aata dont have that problems

after all i very much dislike the idea of having a commander with a dgun (there should be better ways to counter early rushes) and the big explosion when being destroyed...
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

Hansolo88 wrote:I
I think the reason it builds hovercraft at all is that it seems to want to build one factory of each type, 8 total factories, i.e. both vehicle plants, kbot labs, and aircraft plants as well as a hovercraft plant and gantry.
aai 0.55 does not distinguish between hovercrafts and other ground units. therefore it just builds them like any other tank

i already changed that and hope that aai 0.6 will learn not use hovercrafts and pure landmaps that often
Hansolo88

Post by Hansolo88 »

Sounds good. Just out of curiosity, if one of its factories is destroyed, does AAI try to recomplete its collection? I have seen it have its adv. veh. plant destroyed once, and it never seemed to try to replace it. That could have been a one-time thing though, its hard to observe because most of the time an AI isn't able to recover once its base is decently broken into.

As I already mentioned, I agree comletely that the AI shouldn't have to adapt to goofy comm tactics (legitimate as they may be in MP). If a player wants to exploit the AI through those, that is fine, but they should know that it is just that: an exploit.
Triaxx2

Post by Triaxx2 »

krogothe wrote:Making an AI dgun is very easy, now making it not dgun its whole base to catch a weasel is another story!
Sounds like we need a mathematician to work out the aim point variables to beable to calculate an aim point based on range of shooter to target, speed of target, turn speed of shooter, speed of weapon round, and path of destruction.

In otherwords, where to shoot to catch the weasel, and only the weasel.
krogothe
AI Developer

Post by krogothe »

Triaxx2 wrote: In otherwords, where to shoot to catch the weasel, and only the weasel.
Well the first half of that sentence is also very easy (as seen on the dgun demo), now the second bit is not only tricky, but cpu consuming...
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

krogothe wrote:
Triaxx2 wrote: In otherwords, where to shoot to catch the weasel, and only the weasel.
Well the first half of that sentence is also very easy (as seen on the dgun demo), now the second bit is not only tricky, but cpu consuming...
i dont find it tricky nor misterious or hard --> callback->GetFriendlyUnits(*units,radius,pos,etc...) ?

it is still cpu consuming tho
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Would it be posisble for it to utilise transports correctly someday?

That would be pretty scary for a human opponent who can't micro them as efficiently. :shock:
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

theoretically i think it is possible, but i'm not sure how efficiently the ai could use that feature

perhaps i'll implement something like that, but this will definitly be sometimes far in the future
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ahem, fi you lot hadnt turned your noses up atd arkstars before the sourceforge database upgrade when it was all lost(exept my backup ^^), you'd have a nice document documenting the specifics about an advanced transport unit usage system for an AI.
Targon

Post by Targon »

so.. does it (will it) divide the units based on the unit's MOVEINFO so that each class is their own caragory of combat unit or is it based on something else?
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

atm its based on movement class, there are ground, air, hover and naval assault units
Journier

Post by Journier »

wow :) put my problem in the wrong thread! lawl.

I keep getting unhandled exception errors :/

within 10 minutes of playing against the ai. havent had the ai just keep going yet :/

just downloaded the .55 version to actually do some single player.

Does this happen to anyone else? Everything seems to run fine up till that point i get 3 ai's attacking me flat out non stop I guess they learned that peewee rushes ftw. then i get this un handled exception error :/

looks like the game could become really good but it just crashes.

any ideas?

It does it in xta and AA.
Error in global ai dll please contact author of ai.

thats the error message :/

I was playing only on altored divide and then I just played a game on comet catcher and no error occured on comet catcher.

played it again on altored divide and it gave error again :/ maybe its map dependent?
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

Journier wrote:Does this happen to anyone else? Everything seems to run fine up till that point i get 3 ai's attacking me flat out non stop I guess they learned that peewee rushes ftw. then i get this un handled exception error :/
Happens to me too. Usually just as I've crushed one of the CPUs.
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

i fixed two crashbugs in aai 0.55, perhaps this will solve the problems....

at least its running stable for me. how many cpu players are there in the game?
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

submarine wrote:at least its running stable for me. how many cpu players are there in the game?
Two. AAI0.55, AA1.44. Seems to happen on tight maps like Altored Divide, Hell's Teeth, etc.
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

i usually play comet catcher (all teh different versions) or big, rather flat maps like painted desert etc.
Journier

Post by Journier »

Ive played Comet catcher 6 times in a row now, with no crash yet.

each game lasting over 30 minutes.

One game lasted 85 minutes (was playing on 3.0 speed)

I havent had a game on altored divide NOT crash yet.

ill finish playing comet catcher, and then go to play altored divide thinking its just bad luck but it ALWAYS crashes.

Theres no stopping it from crashing :) Longest ive had an altored divide game go now is 19 minutes

Ive been mixing it up also. at first i was doing 3 AI's then i tried 2 then i tried 1.

Comet Catcher = no problems at all.

Very weird.

Is there any kind of log i can give you to help solve this problem?

also, when i was playing the AI on comet catcher since its the map that i havent had a single crash on yet, is there a way to force the ai to defend its metal mines etc with a LLT like a human would to stop raids a little better?

I think this was talked about before. but forgot the suggestion, i think it was about "base size"

Return to “AI”