AI helper functions and interface/gui additions wanted!

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

alik83

Post by alik83 »

As SJ said GlobalAI could be used as a helper for player, I want to see more functions and/or gui elemnts for more AI-Player interactions like:
-function to read marker positions and text
-function to tell the mouse position and camera position
-function to tell what units are currently selected (by player)
-tell for AI which commands were issued by player (well you can work around it as it is now...)
-assign groupAIs with just hotkey
-ability to assign AI commands to user interface elements (add custom buttons and stuff...)
That's all I could think of for now, some of those are really not that hard to implement and that functionality would be awesome!
Thanks,
Alik
P.S. Some works on my AI are also in progress...
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Well what's stopping you from doing it? :)
alik83

Well

Post by alik83 »

Well, it would take me quite a bit of time to find all those variables and functions responsible for camera position, markers and GUI,
the game developers know all this much better and it would take them like 10 times less time then for me.
I just hope developers(SJ!) got interested in this idea and implement smth. but if not, I would try to do some of those additions myself (and I'll also would need them to get accepted later...)

And the new JCAI was nice to see (for educational purpose:) mostly)
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Am i the only one who isnt so exactly hot about helper ais?

Hotkeys and group ais are one thing, but i dont want to game to become into a "who has the best zipper-raiding and economy autobuilding bot" ...
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I kinda have to agree with you, auto d-gunning, auto resource building, it seems that if this part of the game is automatic, you might just as well leave it out and save some cpu-time too.
If people don't want to manage their resources, there should be an option to get a constant income. I think it's best if the other players actually know which AIs are used by their opponents, then there are enough who will say "no extra AIs on this host!"
Last edited by jcnossen on 13 Oct 2005, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Triaxx2

Post by Triaxx2 »

Make it a function of the battle room for the host. Just a check box, 'Allow helper AI's'
alik83

well

Post by alik83 »

Well, sometimes I don't want to care that much about resourses and concentrate on fighting, and there are a lot more processes in rts that repeat all the time, just their scale get's bigger (or smaller if your base were partly destroyed) and you usually don't get time to think of some smart strategies.
For ex.:
- Constant increase of res. buildings, after certain income "a" start building mini-fusions, after "b" -cloack. fusions, "c" - regular fusions; If part of your base was destroyed the process repeats from lower scale.
-Constant increase of builders/adv. builders/farks.
-Constant increase of base defense (espec. in high value areas)
-Constant increase of units, attacking groups (I want to be able to tell what my current attack group will include: close range, artillery, radar, anti-radar and the factories will provide me with it at my rally-point)

The AI just does simple tasks like that- nothing smart (no strategy planning or anything), but it does it fast and doesn't "forget" to do it's tasks, so human isn't stressed about everything all the time.
While the human only concentrates on interesting things like:
-what unit to put in attack group and how big to make it
-direction of attack
-using specialized expensive units: BB, Gollie, Krog, Nuke
-Planning how to organize defense
-Scouting and processing information and determining successfull strategy
So I'm more into sitting with a cup of tea, clicking here and there and watching my opponent die from successfull decision:)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

What I wouldn't mind is an AI (player) that plays well with human players... if it has an intercepting force it will take out attack waves showing up going towards allies bases.... tries to share resources at 50% and acctually increases production till is matches the requests from other players... see's when a group of units is leaving a friendly base and joins with a complimenting force... builds base defences that don't duplicate those of friendly players... doesn't hog all the real-estate and resources for itself...

Also, it would be nice to have inaccessable, modular group AIs that AI players can use to automate tasks... but even the base building group AI seems stupid to me... what's the fun of everyone having the same base and therfore throwing the same forces at eachother at the same point in the game?

It would be a cool mode to pit AIs against eachother but giving "hints" to the AIs... if you want to sit back with a cup-a-tea and click a toggle between base-build/resource hog/agressive tanks/air swarm... that's a different but still rather cool mode... have to have a set number of available strategies, maybe 10, and everyone gets to put together their 10 from available modules or program their own... could be nifty and fit the "relax and watch" people
Triaxx2

Post by Triaxx2 »

See, I don't want a 'Helper AI', I want an AI partner. I want to team with an AI that's going to do one of two things. A) Send out endless waves of attackers, and leave me to build his base, or preferrably, B) build a massive and slowly expanding base, and leave me to send waves of attackers. The former should build only what it needs to support itself, and the latter should give me as many excess resources as it can spare.

Return to “AI”