Shard 0.4/dev - Page 8

Shard 0.4/dev

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Shard

Post by AF »

Im on schedule for releasing the next version + source code on the 18th. I've gotten my results an hour ago, so all is good, I'd release now but I need time to package everything up and finish testing the latest builds ( and to sleep )
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Since it's the 18th, I've put the code up in a git repo for all to see, you can find it here:

http://github.com/Tarendai/Shard

(LGPL V2)
PTSnoop

Post by PTSnoop »

Wow, I wasn't expecting this for another month! Thanks, AF! (I should check the forums more often...)

Is there a way of compiling this for Linux yet?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yes, it compiles under linux already. just have the Shard repository at AI/Skirmish/Shard/ in the spring repository / source, and configure & compile spring using cmake.
That said, it still fails at runtime under Linux.
Idleking

Post by Idleking »

Watched a game E323 3.19.1 vs. Shard 0.25 for 12 minutes - that's how long it took E323 to blow away Shard.

Hmm.. Shard builds almost no Defences (a single LLT behind a Bot-Lab doesn't really count as "defence") and tries to build multiple factories too far away from each other to be effectively defendable..

Well, I know E323 is a pain in the a** especially in the first ten minutes in a game, because it always knows where your units are and where they're not, so....

...I played against it myself and it was quite tough the first couple of minutes due to Shard's T1 KBot spam.
But later in the game I noticed it never sent anything else at me. It neither teched to T2, nor built vehicle plants or airfields.

I guess I haven't messed up with the AI's files since I simply unzipped the rar-file into the AI-folder.

Hmm.. How does the customization work?
Sort of "Customizing Shard for Dummies" would be nice :-)
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Idleking wrote: Hmm.. How does the customization work?
Sort of "Customizing Shard for Dummies" would be nice :-)
I would also like this but understand if you are too busy to undertake the task.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ill write up a blog post, thought 0.25 has its issues, I just haven't had time to finish up the remaining one or two items and release 0.27

Also, BA gameplay isn't Shards strongest gameplay, as a lot of the tech tree is unfinished and the arm and core factions are not equally developed ( one is more unfinished than the other )
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

when running under linux:
PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (attempt to index a nil value)
it triggers an assertion in an other thread, and am too tired right now to check how to look at other threads backtraces in gdb.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

yeah, make shard core for BA
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I guess that's the spring Lua VM not the Shard VM that's generating that error message?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i do not really get what it is.
the assert is in the engine, but as i get it, the problem lies in an other thread, and i get this error without lining Shard to springs (lib)lua.

for clarification:
Shard comes with its own lua sources under AI/Skirmish/Shard/src/lua/, which is the same that the engine has under rts/lib/lua/ (if i got it right).

i tried removing Shards lua sources, and link against the spring lua lib, but it failed to find the symbols at runtime then. if someone wants to try to debug this, i would be glad, and would try to help, if i am around.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

When I attempted to switch visual studio to use the spring source lua libs, it started pulling in extra stuff, I had to add in folders under the RTS and SYstem folders, and eventually streflop, which promptly starting barfing and spewing out errors in my code.

Perhaps it has been fixed in the latest dev builds but for now I really don't know what I can do about it, since I don't like developing for unreleased versions as it means I have to start branching and I don't want to be tied to springs release cycle.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

AF wrote:GetResource returns a userdata type object of type SResource.
I should have a GetResources in the next version containing each resource in a table
Is there any progress on that?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ah sorry, next Shard has some bugfixes and evorts updates, some changes to the naming of data types for the resources as well. One major change if that a new map object has been added, and a lot of methods of the game object have been moved into it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

http://darkstars.co.uk/2010/shard-29-spikey/

Spikey is out

Note that numerous API changes have been made to reorganize things better. See the release post for more details
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'm getting insta spring crashes from spikey in evo. .27beta is still working fine.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Oh? I thought you were fine running it last night? What revisions or changes occurred?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It could be a missing VS runtime install on your machine, but since the only details I have are that it has crashed, I have no way of knowing, Im rebuilding the dll file again and reuploading, same url
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Redownloaded. Same problem. And no, I was testing easymetal with .27beta.

http://pastebin.com/tJt501pV

Crashes the moment players spawn.

Edit: I have VS2008 installed on my machine so I doubt that that is the problem.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

oh AF, your doing that thing where you release without testing again, arent you :P

Return to “AI”