A request of AI programmers....

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

PLEASE OH PLEASE make a simple skirmish AI!!

Just somthing simple for now, somthing to slate our thirst when noone is online. PLEASE just make somthing that sends out peewees and/or aks till it dies!

Just a request.. thank you. :-)
sp2danny72

ssai

Post by sp2danny72 »

the AI API isn't out yet...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ah well I will have to see what can be done with the existing Group AI to do that. Although it will mean having to apply the dll to the enemy commander and possibly having to wait for jouninkomiko to supply us with a skirmish interface
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

I'll have a looksy if I can do *anything* without an interface, building the globalAI side as a seperate piece of code, to be stuck in open source space straight away.

Ehm, i've written realtime stuff before, but never game AI.
I need some help! :)

I would need serious convincing NOT to use a completely object oriented approach like the rest of spring is made..

edit: Jounin: it might even be better to let us handle building an interface of what we need, and you implementing the calls to the spring engine, telling us what has to be removed from the interface (if it comes to that).....?
Triaxx2

Post by Triaxx2 »

He does sort of have a point. At least about the interface thing.
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Yeah, and i didn't have a point by stating that jounin could then implement the calls, that job might aswell also rest with the other developers building the interface & whatever is behind it.

So i guess i'm asking for permission to go ahead with coding on everything related to the globalAI by everyone willing, and jounin joining us with his expertise as soon as he can?
(he's doing finals for university, i think)

I'd be perfectly happy with jounin as subproject leader.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

sure that actually sounds pretty good. sketch out a global AI interface and i'll run my fingers through it.

and yea, im dead in the middle of exams. the hell that consists of studying a full semesters worth of material is proving to be extra difficult this semester with the type of classes i am taking. two more days! then back to spring work
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

And you didnt think to tell me?!
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

jouninkomiko wrote: and yea, im dead in the middle of exams. the hell that consists of studying a full semesters worth of material is proving to be extra difficult this semester with the type of classes i am taking. two more days! then back to spring work
I feel your pain. Although after tomorrow my exams will be over. :D :D :D Then it's serious Spring time.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

lucky you, I go on exam leave in a week.
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Since everybody's in finals-week, I humbly suggest we don't rush things...
We'll all want to have some influence, so I'd like to opensource the pre-coding and design process as much as possible.

So for the meanwhile, if someone could pass me some codesamples of ANY strategic game AI (besides the groupAI and moveAI of spring ofcourse), I'd be very happy..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You talk as if you have made an AI proposal thread or two like me and triaxx and have amde clear the AI architecture, without which any design or strategic logic is inable to be pulled together.

Where do you intend on putting the pre-coding?
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Alantai Firestar wrote:You talk as if you have made an AI proposal thread or two like me and triaxx and have amde clear the AI architecture, without which any design or strategic logic is inable to be pulled together.

Where do you intend on putting the pre-coding?
the pre-coding can 'come together' here on the forum...

i haven't written any code (proposals) yet because i've never thought about gameAI until about a 1-2 month(s) ago... i've got some weird ideas for engines in my head, but like to keep 'm to myself for now..

i read all the AI postings I could on this forum, but would love to know all the high-level angles to this programming problem before i start to write code.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Good point, I shall continue my paths, btu I shallr esearch heavily when ym exams are done and use them to generate ideas for new paths based on the old ones. However I find feedback to be valuable and to keep them in my head constantly is sometimes bad for progress. Although ti does allow me to take an idea and run ti also makes me greater prone to flaws and I think that other perspectives on the ideas are the best way to gain new ideas and to innovate.
K-man

Post by K-man »

I strongly recommend all of you who are thinking about AI design or coding to read AI Game Programming Wisdom 1 & 2 before you get started. They are well worth the effort.
munch

"AI Wisdom"

Post by munch »

Is this it, or just something similar?

http://www.aiwisdom.com/

Looks good anyway =)

Cheers

Munch

Return to “AI”