Units that act odd/or crash TA:Spring

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Rayden

Post by Rayden »

So, i am trying to find out why some units don't work as expected in TA:Spring. I would like to terrorize TAUniverse Forum but i can't get an account there.

Here is the first unit, the so called "Illuminator"
http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0426579/illuminator.ufo

I see the unit in build menue i can click it and build it somewhere, but as soon as the constuction vehicle starts to build it, the game crashes.

I've already read something about GAF issues, but the only gaf file i've exctrated has 3 build pics inside (so i don't expect this to be the error).

I would be glad if some people could help, so maybe we can get together some facts which will help people to convert non working units better.[/url]
Storm

Post by Storm »

Rayden, try again. I have disabled the image control picture thing because the DM2 database (image creation script) has crashed til monday.
Fnordia
Former Engine Dev

Post by Fnordia »

The script for the unit in question seems to be incorrect. In the Create() function it calls move-now which expects an axis value on the stack, but without actually pushing a value. This causes spring to read outside the stack boundary. Since no cavedog scripts do that I think it is a broken compiler that generated it. :) But I've added boundary checking to the stack popping now so that it will work.

The unit still behaves oddly when firing though.. Guess I'll have to try it in TA. :)
TARevenger

Post by TARevenger »

I found with the taucp i'm testing quiet a number of units had problems which caused spring to crash (mainly crashing in fp control mode) but downloading the OTA_settings_for_spring_patch.ufo fixed that and gave me access to all the taucp units and fixed some of the units that couldn't move because of the "inconsistant move data message."

hasn't fixed the recoil issue (turrent flys off) or units that go flying off into space when built
the only messages I get are bad wave or texture messages and the "to many unit categoies ##" messages
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

What's up with that "to many unit categories" message!?

Where does it come from?
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Keep this thread on topic, buggi :P

Thx for your investigation in this issue, Fnordia. I will check the cob file too today and compare it with original cavedog units, maybe i can learn something :-)
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Fnorida .. what tool do you use for bos to cob?
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

The unit still behaves oddly when firing though.. Guess I'll have to try it in TA. :)
Hey, i got the unit working ... what problem do you still have?
CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

4 Words.

USE. THE. EDIT. BUTTON.

:?
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

Sorry .. everyone does mistakes sometimes, i wanted to delete the posts afterwards, but there is no delete button. Anyway you're post is spam as well :P

Oops .. acutally there is a delete button :roll:
TARevenger

Post by TARevenger »

Another unit I found that crashes spring

the USS Uppercut, Nuclear Submarine with mini Nukes (half the blast radius of regular nuclear missiles) causes spring to crash when the submarine gets destoryed

also could do with a paint job

download here
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/plan ... t79489.zip

Edit: Ok this unit doen't crash when being played on map4 so I'm guessing the crash has something to do with the map settings?

Return to “Game Development”