Snipers

Snipers

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Dynamoe2

Snipers

Post by Dynamoe2 »

I believe that snipers are OP. They should have an energy cost when they shoot like in AA. the fact is is that someone can spam 20 snipers and walk right through your defenses... that is what happened to me last game. I used seismic detectors and all I got was big red waves and lag. It didn't really help cause they were blown up almost immediately. Yes I am an ARM player. :evil: To sum it up: Snipers need an energy cost to fire. :!:
Dynamoe2

Post by Dynamoe2 »

o ya, and i forgot to say... its for Balanced Annihilation.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

[For those of you who will try and bash him]

Dynamoe's actually a vet, and a really good player, so do yourself a favor and don't bash him straight up :P
Dynamoe2

Post by Dynamoe2 »

why thanks Dragon, but i think it is common knowledge that snipers are OP
Day

Post by Day »

wait, they dont take energy to fire? O_o we never changed that
Dynamoe2

Post by Dynamoe2 »

True, they only take energy to cloak. ill check it over again.
Dynamoe2

Post by Dynamoe2 »

Ok, i just tested it. The sniper takes 0 energy to fire, takes -75 energy to cloak standing still and -200 energy to cloak while walking.
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Yes yes, snipers are definatly OP. But next time please post this in the Balanced Annihilation thread instead of making a new topic about it. That's what dragons "dont flame him right away" comment was regarding.
Dynamoe2

Post by Dynamoe2 »

ok ok, jez, not sure if it really matters but Ok. and for heavens sake im not a child, just tell me, i never use the forums.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

It doesn't really matter IMO.

On to the topic at hand: Snipers cost 1000 e to fire in OTA, IIRC, but that might be a little too much.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

no, I think it was fine considering their power
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Just look at snipers cost, 5 annihilators do much more damage than 5 snipers and have more hp .. if you cant see those snipers it's tbh just your fault.. Nearby radar, fast scouts or air can spot them easilly..

Heck use fleas to kill them!!
Last edited by Licho on 01 Jan 2007, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Speaking of bashing, shouldn't this go in the BA thread?
Dynamoe2

Post by Dynamoe2 »

to my knowledge, when snipers are cloaked they are radar invisible. And the fact that they cloak very quickly after firing does not help.. in fact I have used fleas to try to kill them, but the fleas just kill themselvees. the amount of damage the sniper does is not an issue, they should have a good punch, the problem is the fact that u can build them like mavericks, shoot them with no energy, and their cloak goes up very quickly after firing. I believe in AA there was smoke that came up from the barrel of the sniper after firing. That was a tell-tale sign that there was a sniper, thus making it easier to spot. In BA (i love the mod, don't get me wrong), there is very little sign of a sniper shot (which would be the bullet and its path). so thats about it.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Snipers are radar invisible but once they fire and are in radar range, something usually kills it (artilery, annihilator, whatever).
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Hmm somehow the energycosts per shot got removed, hmmmm. Anyway i think we should add it back in. in AA it's 500 E per shot.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

Licho wrote:Just look at snipers cost, 5 annihilators do much more damage than 5 snipers and have more hp .. if you cant see those snipers it's tbh just your fault.. Nearby radar, fast scouts or air can spot them easilly..

Heck use fleas to kill them!!
he's right you know, forget about snipers, you should be worried about all those crazy cloaked annihilators sneaking up to your base.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Dynamoe2 wrote:but the fleas just kill themselves.
On this topic: is it possible to fix fleas so they don't hurt themselves when they get too close to a structure and are firing on it? I know you can micro around this, but its kind of annoying/silly. I'm not talking about damage when the structure explodes, rather damage the flea gets from its own laser if it is really close to a mex for example.
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

snipers are well balanced (when they get their E for firing back). After all, each shot they fire is 9 metal . Just kill em with air, arty, banisher, flashspam...

BUT make sure u have infiltrators or cloacked tanks near them so u can spot snipers.
Dynamoe2

Post by Dynamoe2 »

i agree with gine, they are balanced.. i was just seeing what was up with the energy cost cuase they are very spammable, and kinda losing their strategical focus from a unique unit to a "maverick-spammable" unit.

Return to “Game Development”