TA: Final Frontier

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

Has anyone tested the Final Frontier mod with TASpring? It's pretty good, replaces existing units with an entire literal fleet of spacecraft.

Check it out and download it at;

http://savant.tadesigners.com/

Should be interesting to see how it works.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

All the spaceships are aircraft technically speaking, right? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Anway, it'll certainly be interesting if it works, since IF they are all technically aircraft, they won't be running into eachother going "woop woop woop" all the time.
CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

Yes, but well-coded aircraft so they behave like spaceships.

I tested it and there are a few "minor" errors such as broken skins and so on, and the spacecraft always land (in TA:FF, they had to be ordered to "Stop" to land) by themselves and stuff. It's not pretty, but it works.
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

imho they did great work with spaceships, they have just some engine limitation problems. Maybe this can be changed with TA:Spring. Although they coded flight behaviour of fighter very well partly.

They even did different damage stages for major spaceships.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

IT WORKS! THAT IS AWSOM! I love TAFF, namely because im a big space buff, both fictinol and nonfictinol and fantasticly bizzar and bizzarly fantastic. Do i install it like i would install a normal TA mod?
CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

It doesn't EXACTLY work with TAS (TASpring) but it works to some extent; a lot of graphics are "broken", and also the spacecraft behave like aircraft. :|
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

First, set the gravity in a map to 0, and see how it changes the behavior.
Second, the graphics are broken because YOU DIDNT EXTRACT THE TEXTURES! I had some screens posted of the TAFF, and it works PERFECTLY, with the occasional glitches and the weird filename problems. Btw, somebody REASSEMBLE the FF thing so its filenames CORRESPOND to the units they represent. The Core Dragon crashes Spring because it's files are for something named "Norton Commando". I agree, that's a very interesting name, but not only it has a space that makes Spring crash, it also doesn't reflect the actual name of the unit.

There also were some stability issues with all the lasers that get fired out-of-map by fighters, but it looks VERY good.

correction: Set the gravity to 1. The engine doesn't like zero values.

correction 2: Set the gravity to any non-zero value. I just had a fierce fight with a LOT of cruisers and battleships on both sides (controlled by me :P ), and their number kept increasing before I overloaded the engine and it crashed. Btw, large cruiser corpss do fall down to the ground, but some are only visible at a distance - bug. Also, a problem with negligible gravity - damaged spacecraft eventually end up hanging somewhere in the sky, emitting smoke. The same goes to debris (that, unlike aircraft, do have a life timer, or so I think), that literally cloud the screen. Obviously, there must be a way to either repair the 'falling' aircraft or................ I just had a brainstorm. Why not apply this 'damage' system to ALL units? The aircraft could be repaired (or resurrected) if they survive the trip to the ground, and tanks could just sit there smoking, completely disabled until someone finishes them off or repairs them.

Return to “Game Development”