Spring:1944 dev and testing - Page 5

Spring:1944 dev and testing

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

You have to build airfields over thermal vents. Eventually we hope to have some sort of better alternative, but it's that way to stop plane spamming (as planes are very powerful).
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Maybe you could have a normal unit limit, now that is implemented in Spring? (ie. max. 1 airfield per player)
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

There are now ways to limit the numbers available to build through the fbi, spiked, however, me and Nemo kind of like the geo's for their terrain control aspect.

edit: Tobi got there first!
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Oh. Well then... :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

Dash_Riprock

Post by Dash_Riprock »

Mobile anti-aircraft seems too effective vs infantry. It can out range anti-tank, tank bullets, and can outrun infantry, avoiding being swarmed. A single truck can take out huge amounts of infantry until you get a lucky mortar shot.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

mines currently give +1 longistics, they should give -1
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:mines currently give +1 longistics, they should give -1
That is so that they can remain cloaked.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

if thats the reason why not make it cost no energy to cloak? creating resources make so sense. making large minefields is oddly benefical. and it also means your opponent cant find the mines when everything else is defeated.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

If your opponent just sits there with nothing but cloaked mines after you've raped him, just exit the game. Or walk around until you trigger them.

And IIRC something about mines means they'll ALWAYS decloak with 0 energy, no matter what. Ghey.

Anyway:
smoth

Post by smoth »

looks good but can you show me on a brigher map? If this is a normal map the texture contrast is still too low becuase it looks muddy in this shot.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

no, infact, I can't. :D
scottdog

Post by scottdog »

Been a while since i last checked back on this mod, and those shermans look great!

Things seem to be moving along well with this mod.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

So I tried it yesterday, and I must say, it feels very SupComish!

Let me explain:
- Units are tiny*, and undistinguisable at normal zoom. Heck, I can't even distinguish live units from corpse.
- As soon as you zoom a bit away, they get replaced by large clear icons.

Therefore, if you want to have any chance of understanding what's going on, you have to play with the icon view. Just like SupCom.

Exemple:

There is a scout, one sniper, and two anti tank men in that picture. Can you spot them?

And now?

I know it's not exactly your fault a guy with a gun looks just like a guy with a gun, but IMO currently it's a serious flaw that we have to play with icons. Unless you feel it's ok this way, but if so, you can stop working on all your ultra realistic modelling, texturing and animation right now, they're useless, no one's gonna see them in actual games.

* Tiny compared to:
- their speed
- how far they are spaced
- buildings
- the map
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

yes its true. atm it can only be played with icons...
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Or you can zoom in a whole lot :D

I've actually been pretty good at telling unit from unit in SupCom...generally through the "If it's shooting lasers, it's a laser tank" and "Useing control groups" methods.

But thems are nice icons, even though the anti-tank guys look like they might be confusable for other things that have tripods, like machine gunners and stuff...till I noticed the rocket. Then it was pretty definitive.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I play at unit level.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

I play at group level, negating the need to know individual units.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Zwzsg, I entirely agree - in fact, the icons were first created to HIDE the models, because at that time we didn't have any pretty content to show off.

Unfortunately, you realize the problem; they're already textured to be rather different, but since s3o cloaking removes their textures, we can't use that. Short of scaling up every model in the game, there isn't a whole lot we can do.

We do plan on scaling things up by about 50% at some point (which still probably won't be enough, but it'll help), we just haven't found the time to run through every unit in the game and do so quite yet.

Hopefully the s3o cloaking bug will be fixed soon as well, since then the different textures on the various infantry will help for telling them apart.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

About your mine problem, I've scripted mines to explode the moment no friendly non-mine units are left in Kernel Panic KDR Edit 7.

Code: Select all

CheckForSurvivors()
{
	var id;
	//this function checks if any friendly non-mine units are still alive and detonates the mine if not
	for(id = get MAX_ID; id>0; --id) { //iterate through all units
		if (get UNIT_ALLIED(id)) { //see if it's friendly
			if ((8*65536)-1 != (get UNIT_HEIGHT(id))) { //check for units of radius != 8 (for some reason the radius is 1 unit smaller than it should be), should mean everything that's not a mine
				id=(get (MAX_ID))+1; //this check is done because we've found a survivor, go back to the beginning of the unit list and wait a bit
				sleep 5000;
			}
		}
	}
	//if this is reached there are no living non-mine friendlies so we detonate the mine
	emit-sfx 4096 from base;
}
For this to work you need to add a weapon strong enough to destroy the mine as weapon1 and adjust the height comparison to use the radiuses your mines have (for s3o it's radius*65536, for 3dos you'll need some other tools to determine that, e.g. the counter). You might also need to add the UNIT_ALLIED constant to your header files if you didn't add the Spring get constants yet.

This implementation should be fast enough since usually it will stop looking after ~5 units since it would hit your commander if it still lives. You can adjust the sleep value to make the mines trigger faster at the cost of more CPU time although it shouldn't use much either way.

Return to “Game Development”