Beam Lasers or None-Beam Lasers

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

What lasers are cooler:

Beam Lasers (AA/BA)
74%
None-Beam Lasers (XTA)
26%

Total votes: 54

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

So you guys like XTA lasers (none-Beam) or AA/BA lasers beter?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Both. But balancing it is another issue since beam lasers always hit.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

XTA lasers looked kinda weird, last I saw of them.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

rattle wrote:Both. But balancing it is another issue since beam lasers always hit.
Just make the non-beam lazers fire ten times as many lazers, so they're bound to hit something...
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Beams ftw. Looks a bit cooler tbh
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

non beam lazers make great machine gun tracers. Other then that they aren't an incredibly practical weapon type...
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

When regarding lasers, first thing I always think of is a "beam" or continuous stream of energy that connects between the weapon origin and the target at the speed of light.

A weapon that is in the form of a projectile, and takes time to hit its target such as "XTA lasers" shouldn't be concidered lasers, but more of a particle cannon.

If its going to be called a laser, it needs to be a "beam", if its not, it shouldn't be called a laser.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

SwiftSpear wrote:non beam lazers make great machine gun tracers. Other then that they aren't an incredibly practical weapon type...
There's so much more you could do with non-beam lasers... give it a good texture and people will love it.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

MR.D wrote:When regarding lasers, first thing I always think of is a "beam" or continuous stream of energy that connects between the weapon origin and the target at the speed of light.

A weapon that is in the form of a projectile, and takes time to hit its target such as "XTA lasers" shouldn't be concidered lasers, but more of a particle cannon.

If its going to be called a laser, it needs to be a "beam", if its not, it shouldn't be called a laser.
To Quote the OTA Manual

"Laser here refers to any focused energy weapon, not just light emission. The majority of 'laser' weapons are actually focused plasma shots."
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Aren't the continous beams only visible in some sort of gas?
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

rattle wrote:Aren't the continous beams only visible in some sort of gas?
I think a perfect laser would be invisible from the side in a vacuum...
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Indeed, true lasers go straight, with no light emmision to the side. You would only be able to see them if your eye was right in the path of the beam. (Although you still wouldnt see it, as the laser would burn straight through your eye and out the back of your head, but you get my point :P)

You cant even see lasers in air, as air is transparent. You can only 'see' a laser beam if it is projected through smoke, or something else full of tiny particles.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

rattle wrote:Both. But balancing it is another issue since beam lasers always hit.
Same here. Although i might add that "balancing it is" is a whole new hunge issue.

Not just because they always hit (TargetMoveError does not work well at all. Gave me so much problems that i am having to recur to Armor.txt to keep the Lasers not owning all air) but because of another really nasty issue.

All weapons never deal the intended amount of dmg. Some deal 70%, others 85%, etc, but always consistently. But the Lasers (beam lasers), not only deal much less dmg than intended (40~75%), but they are inconsistent, dealing like 50% to a unit and 70% to another.

I am using both in TLL, but most are just BeamLasers.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

rattle wrote:...
There's so much more you could do with non-beam lasers... give it a good texture and people will love it.
Same with Lasers. Try one of my new versions of TLL, attack with either the Commander or the GalacticGate while turned on and watch closely that yellow laser.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

beam lasers look MUCH cooler. shiny.
non beam lasers play MUCH better. balance.
depends which is more important.
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:beam lasers look MUCH cooler. shiny.
Or which one is most fitting for that mod/weapon.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:beam lasers look MUCH cooler. shiny.
boy that sure sounds nice, it's utter crap though, you can balance both to do what you please.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Yeah, I'll have to call you on that Ivory.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

um, beam lasers are instant hitting and ultra accurate, which is very limiting,means they hit aircraft. the amount of damage they do is not predictable.

non beam lasers can be talored for the need much more easily, ie innacuracy, not hitting aircraft etc and damage can accurately be calculated.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:um, beam lasers are instant hitting and ultra accurate, which is very limiting,means they hit aircraft. the amount of damage they do is not predictable.

non beam lasers can be talored for the need much more easily, ie innacuracy, not hitting aircraft etc and damage can accurately be calculated.
IE. Beam Lasers can be used for actual lasers. Make them slow to refire, but leave them as is otherwise and you've a nice, slow firing, powerful defence along the lines of the annihilator (which bloody nearly never hits aircraft, by the way)

Return to “Game Development”