XTA version 2.0?

XTA version 2.0?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

PauloMorfeo

XTA version 2.0?

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Maybe we should start a thread concerning everything we want changed for a future version of the standard units pack (which is XTA)?
And maybe everything we like also!?

Once we have a significant number of changes requested and discussed as beeing improvements, we can modify the units set, test it a little and release it with the next version of Spring.

Then, start a new thread for XTA version 3.0...
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Cast it into the fires of Mount Doom.

There are already decent mods out there. There is no need to put the work into this one.

http://www.planetannihilation.com/swta
http://www.planetannihilation.com/aa
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

As much as I like the original XTA, XTA for spring is kinda yucky.

I would say in future versions you should just include OTA content, perhaps my Original Brew stand alone.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

And there was a great movement among the children of cavedog, and there was a scurry as people set about going down different paths with mods and strategic ethics.

XTA went down one road, most people went down the other.
Last edited by AF on 01 May 2005, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I think that was a haiku.
ekke

Post by ekke »

most people cant handle the strategy required for XTA
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Like I said before somewhere, let's compile unit packs, like OTA, AA, SWTA, TAFF, etc, to play online with Spring. Given the absentness of maps and custom features, they won't be very large in size.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

What we really need is a robust mod handling system with integrated file sharing. That way the host of a battleroom decides what to play, the Spring of the joining people adapt seamlessly.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I agree with zwzsg.

I like to play all the mods and it could be cool to easly select the one I want to play before joining a game.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Torrasque wrote:... it could be cool to easly select the one I want to play before joining a game.
Of course it would be...
Of course we need:
zwzsg wrote:What we really need is a robust mod handling system with integrated file sharing. ...
But that is not ready yet... What do we do in the mean time?

Also, there must be a good and balanced set of units to be used as standard. That one, should be similar to the OTA set of units.

The OTA set of units has things that really need to change or that set will lead people to the usuall Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash... This time not Samsons because they can no longer fire over friendly units...
OTA Units set:
Mobile Artileries are completely useless.
The Core Intimidator is too poor compare to the Arm Big Bertha.
Lvl-1 Fighters are really weak.
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

After we change stuff in the OTA set of units, we can no longer continue to call it the OTA set of units.

The XTA units set also has alot that needs to be changed to please the comunity but at least it could be upgraded. But i'm loosing faith in keeping the XTA unit set for upgrade as no one seems interested...

So, what then? Maybe we should plan on improving the OTA units set, instead? And arrange a name for that units set... Even without knowing all units sets, i seriously doubt that there is any set that will work perfectly balanced in TA::Spring, much less one that resembles the OTA units set. Most of them have an insane amount of Lvl-3 units and insanely powerfull lvl-2 units...

Yes, that's probably for the best... Just rebalance the OTA units set and call it something else...
I'm already thinking... TARv1 (TA Rebirth version 1)!?
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Hum, I agree with you Paolo.
OTA has poor balancing. On the other side, XTA, change too much from OTA.

I would like to see OTA rebalanced, but only with small change. Do not change the role of the unit. Gardian have long range, but not really accurate. Laser short range (I hate the gaat cannon in XTA) but more precise and eat energy etc...

So juste change hp, speed, power with 5% increase/decrease.
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Actually XTA is balanced very well. A unit is only so powerful as the metal it costs. With a couple of exceptions. However it is true that XTA doesn't fit spring very well, actually Spring doesn't fit XTA very well.
It's also quite likely that Yxan will make a new XTA that will work better with spring. So just a matter of time and we can go play defensively again with a lot of mines and defenses :D
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
Torrasque wrote:... it could be cool to easly select the one I want to play before joining a game.
Of course it would be...
Of course we need:
zwzsg wrote:What we really need is a robust mod handling system with integrated file sharing. ...
But that is not ready yet... What do we do in the mean time?
I hope that it would come out really soon. In the mean time we will play Webbie's evOTA.
CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

Caydr wrote:I think that was a haiku.
If it was a Haiku, it was a very, very bad one. Doesn't match the 5-7-5 sequence, as far as I can tell.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

ahk I dont like rules on how many syllables or words on my text. Of course the fact tht ym perfect grammar and spellign are despoiled by my typing being generally crap sorta drives a certain number of people to strike out to say otherwise.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

*Ahem* Spoiled would suffice, no need to go sticking prefixes where they aren't needed.

On topic, yes, XTA has potential, but as people have said, it doesn't suit Spring right now. The most urgent changes right now are small (the LOS increase, for example) but eventually a game where flashing isn't the dominating tactic will be needed.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

I like it how in XTA the commander is able to build the advanced factories. Then if you lose your construction units you're not too much stuck.
In the end this means less time micromanaging your base and is good.

Apart from that I haven't played enough to evaluate this mod well.
Frog

Post by Frog »

I have thouroghly enjoyed the few games of XTA i´ve played with spring.
In my opinion it is by far superior to OTA, and on the other hand it try´s not to make any humongous changes (as Uberhack did for example). Therefore, if you use the units as they are described (in the handbook for example), you will do OK.

There are of course some things that are a matter of taste (commander building level 2 plants for example) but all in all, I´m very happy that its bundled with the game, and so most people play it online :) .
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Ok now, since we're all for making a 'bigger and better OTA', let's start making it. Somebody should start (and maintain) a thread with a major discussion about rebalancing changes to OTA accounting for the Spring engine. Maybe even make a separate forum for this stuff, so polls could be made, etc.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:... start (and maintain) a thread with a major discussion about rebalancing changes to OTA accounting for the Spring engine. Maybe even make a separate forum for this stuff, ...
I'm all for it.

Whatever units pack ends up beeing chosen, it will have to be rebalanced (if our goal is optimal gameplay) since, for example, units can no longer fire over friendly units (decreases the power of long/medium range missiles and lasers...).

Once, i made a study of the units pack of OTA. Damage/second done, dmg/second done /metal cost, amount of health/metal cost, etc...
I realised that a total rebalance is very dificult!

I'm inclined into thinking that if we simply change the tech-tree of XTA into beeing the same as the one of OTA, it will produce very positive feedback from the players. Then, we can see how it works and do some other changes like for example decreasing the power of Krogoths!?

Optionally, we can choose to do that full rebalance of the OTA set. It would be hard and very lengthy but it would be chalenging and we could end up with something that would feel somewhat new.

Also, EvOTA has been mentioned but i don't know it and i haven't had the time to check it out.

Anyway, i think that the TA::Spring developers should give some feedback on this, even if only to say that they aren't going to decide anything on the subject or to say that they are trying to decide.

Return to “Game Development”