The GPL, and how it applies to your games. - Page 2

The GPL, and how it applies to your games.

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

My point of contention is that GPLing stuff that is addons for spring is stupid. Models and textures I understand. Anything beyond that should be fair game, period. Funny how smoth wrote in one day what took argh "Months of groundbreaking work".

Free should mean free. How would you like it if I GPLed my smd's for my maps then called foul any time that anyone used all or part of my settings? Same goes for GPLing bos code.

[snip]
Argh

Post by Argh »

<sigh>

Forb, it's easy to duplicate things, when the method has been developed. How would YOU like it if somebody took your maps, changed a few bitmaps in minor ways, and claimed the work as their own?

Ooooh... wait... they can't DO THAT. Because the format won't let them right now- decompiling a map is theoretically possible, but nobody has bothered to learn how. The world of SM3 is going to be a big shock, apparently :roll:

[snip]

@Chojin:

It saves time, basically. You don't have to include every line of NanoBlobs- just the stuff you're making use of. And scripts are such a tiny proportion of the assets in a game... it's not like you're adding a lot to the download size.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Argh wrote:<sigh>

Forb, it's easy to duplicate things, when the method has been developed. How would YOU like it if somebody took your maps, changed a few bitmaps in minor ways, and claimed the work as their own?

Ooooh... wait... they can't DO THAT. Because the format won't let them right now- decompiling a map is theoretically possible, but nobody has bothered to learn how. The world of SM3 is going to be a big shock, apparently :roll:
Hardly. Have you ever seen my heightmaps? You would have to edit so much to copy them and it not be obvious that you would be better off making it from scratch.

[snip]

SM3 is not going to be a big shock to anyone, cause those of us that are good enough (and most of us are) know how to make maps that are complicated enough that they are tough to copy. Even still. Any copied heightmap is going to be obvious. As it is, you can extract heightmaps thanks to AF's wonderful tool.

Taking someone else's heightmap and running it through a random map generator changes it so much that it's unrecognizable anyway. I've never done that myself considering I generally draw my layouts in mspaint, then run it through L3DT's filters as per my tutorial.

Argh. I ahve on multiple occasions offered up ALL MY TEXTURES THAT I USE for download. It's still in the mapping forum. I even included BUMPMAPS! Ppl can use them however they want.

You know why I do that? I do it because I know that I am capable of staying ahead of anyone that wants to use my style. BTW I have REPETEDLY posted my climate files in these forums! The climate files are my most closely guarded secret. You know why I do that? Because I knoiw that I am TALENTED enough to always create something better than I had previously!

[snip]
smoth

Post by smoth »

all gundam bos scripts have been offered since day one. Free of any conditions so people can learn!

I did not copy the script, I wrote it watching a turtle walk. As I said EARLIER it is available to anyone who wants it! WITHOUT ANY GPL stuff attached.

I gave my trees etc to the community and do not demand anything for them. People seldom cite me as a source because I don't care.

[snip]
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Thread unlocked by request, and edited to remove flames. Lets keep things very civil in here!
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

You seem to have misinterpreted my instructions.

Start reading Arghs first post, and when you get the the line of stars, delete all after.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

GNU are poisoning our water!

Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Ianal, but I'm not positive that Argh's interpretation of the GPL is correct - I would think that the GPL would "infect" every unit script within a package. After all, consider that there are two different GPLs, the LGPL and the full GPL, and the LGPL is used for things like libraries - which are modules of code that can be used in other programs. Since a unit that is being used within a mod is analogous to a library, I would thing that the LGPL would be the one you'd use if you want your unit script to be GPL'd without requiring that everything else within the project also be GPL'd.

But I'm not positive. This arbitrary frontier of "requires other code to be opened" is always a big problem with the GPL because it is an arbitrary line in the sand. The LGPL just draws it in the same place.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

smoth wrote:all gundam bos scripts have been offered since day one. Free of any conditions so people can learn!

I did not copy the script, I wrote it watching a turtle walk. As I said EARLIER it is available to anyone who wants it! WITHOUT ANY GPL stuff attached.

I gave my trees etc to the community and do not demand anything for them. People seldom cite me as a source because I don't care.

[snip]
Smoth, I'm at work so I can't check... but have you actually included any license statement with your code? Since currently, the "no condition" means your license is ambiguous... it could mean your code is still copyrighted (100% restricted).

Personally, I'd bundle in an MIT license into the package. The MIT license says "do anything you want with this code, but don't sue me if you hurt yourself".
Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Just put that text file in the folder with your BOS scripts. The MIT license is a subset of the GPL, so it means that your code can be used within GPL projects or anywhere else.[/quote]
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

At last the GPL thing makes sense! Thank you Argh!
wally

Post by wally »

Argh's interpretation of GPL is deadly wrong:

You can't use GPL'd code as part of your program/mod/or something unless all the code is GPL-compliant. Period.

You propably may use LGPL'd (Lesser GPL, former Library GPL) code as part of your propiertary work, as explained in here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html
The GNU Project has two principal licenses to use for libraries. One is the GNU Library GPL; the other is the ordinary GNU GPL. The choice of license makes a big difference: using the Library GPL permits use of the library in proprietary programs; using the ordinary GPL for a library makes it available only for free programs.
AFAIK there is absolutely no exceptions. (Game engine can be GPL and "mod" propiertary, but this is a completely different thing. Then engine is the program and mod is the data or something that program shows. Like OpenOffice and your file you can open with that program.)

GPL is easy-to-understand license. It's not any kind of trap. You get & you give.

GPL (and likes) has been mandatory for free software to evolve. It's a win-win situation for all. Ever heard of Linux, Gnome, KDE, OpenOffice, Mozilla, Apache, MySQL, etc? Even this forums software, phpBB, is licensed under GPL.

Of course there is also good "freeware" programs, as some of your mods I think. Still, what happens if the mod programmer got bored/killed whatever? Then *sob* mod usually died. GPL'd programs (if they are interesting) are not gonna die ever, that's the power of Free software.

I think Argh should use LGPL, if he don't want his license to be "too restrictive". But seriously, if you are not gonna sell your mod, why not GPL it?

(sorry my poor english)

Return to “Game Development”