XTA Development discussion - Page 20

XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Ivory I don't understand your argument.. Of course the other units make a difference in balancing (you make no convincing argument as to why this isn't true). I have no idea how anyone can say that other units in the buildtree don't affect the balance of certain units vs. units. I mean its not like your going to balance the penetrator against a flash are you ? And when I used to play XTA I always saw goliaths mixed in with other units, espescially groups of reapers and artillery.
the core goliath isnt supposed to be a damage absorbing assault tank
Are you kidding me? It has always been that way. Used as a heavy unit to absorb attacks and bust through heavy defenses.

Edit: Also pintle made a lot of points that I would have brought up...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Both sea transports have 0 health.

The arm hammer fires from the wrong barrel (the other one recoils).
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

the core goliath isnt supposed to be a damage absorbing assault tank
Heavens t' betsy

^^
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

kk my reasoning must be retarded then. It just feels so wrong though. nevermind. what other balancy issues I suggested were nit so goot?
pintle

Post by pintle »

Just found out krog self d's as a nuke.. i think that is a bit overpowered
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well then, I would have to disagree with you. It is a bloody Krog. Think about the potential for damage when it is alive.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

LOL

+1 @ Neddiedrow

Also Chojin has found some yum yums with the lua scripting side of things. So who wants a clear txt box instead of that crappy grey box ?

Ill send pics when i can, but Chojin is bussey with the Tremulouse mod periodicly.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I hope you don't mind the cleaning job I did on the wiki today... it was a text wall, really. Should get some images up as well.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Smoth added a clear text box to EE using ctrlpanel.txt a long long time ago.....
pintle

Post by pintle »

k so maybe krog nuke xplo is ok, just in light of the buffed nuke i got a little scared...

any news on making raiders/stumpies viable?
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

pintle wrote:k so maybe krog nuke xplo is ok, just in light of the buffed nuke i got a little scared...

any news on making raiders/stumpies viable?
A few versions ago, I used stumpies as very effective early com killers. Takes a lot of micro, but they can do it on a small, flat map. Then small, flat maps seemed to go out of style...
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Yeah i know about the E&E txt box, i liked it n wanted it in XTA lol. i imagen it being in the next release, last weekend was far to bussey for me to go into the project; should have time this weekend though i hope.

And yeah about the tanks, anny sugestions on what you would like to see with the. Hitpoint/speed/cost ect..

There are alot of things that can be done, but whitch one is the choice. What would the communitty want the stats to be ?
pintle

Post by pintle »

@ foe, they are not totally useless, they are great for countering AA kbot spam, or getting through MT forests. I just think they are pretty poor as they are an a minor buff wouldn't unbalance anything

@ Giz, I think hp buff, they are the heaviest t1 unit, and as i said before, speed/firepower buff could make them infringe upon the flash/insti's role.

It would be cool to, for eg, use them to go in first, engage the defenses (up to and including hlt) and soak the damage long enough for some flash/instis to get past and do some damage.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Sounds about right pintle, i hate killing hlt with level one stuff as it is. I still think the hammers need a bit of a range boost and more effective dps. (stil withing llt range btw) But then again Mong would prolly hunt me down in RL and eat my eyes 8) lmao
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

OWWWWWWWW LOOKY AT DAT!

Credits of this pic go straight to Noruas, and Argh for his nuke FX that Noruas developed to create this work in progress.

I spoke to Noruas last night, and after some chatting he desided to try & make a vertion with no no black smoke in the central white section, and to create an expanding black smoke ring to show the true are of effect. Hopfully if we can get a copy of Argh's OLD nuke effect from nanoblobs (annyone got a linky?) Noruas can add some more indervidual particle effects. Also the black smoke colom that sizes from the surface will be about 2x/3x higher, its a lil short atm.

ATM the fps hit is a lil demanding, stay tuned with more development. And a big thanks to Argh for his nuke fx btw 8)

Is it just me or does it allready look better than the C&C Generals nuke ?

EDIT:

OW Myg had an idea of creating a red vapour cloud to add to the d-gun effects. Would that be over kill FX, or cant u eye candy junkies get enough?
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

OMG almost 4got this!

Credits for this go to Yeha, thanks dude.

We have yet to test this but annyone think this owuld be a welcomed FX ? Hows about a big chungy vertion of it on the arty hmmnnn? Anny ideas ? Pending the tests on performance you maybe seeing alot of this effects, just as you see here on the tank.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I dont like the d-gun afterglow at all... I been playing with it.. It just dosnt look right.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:I dont like the d-gun afterglow at all... I been playing with it.. It just dosnt look right.
it glows too long in XTA, i put dgun glow in BA with shorter glowtime, then it does look cool IMO
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

kk, fun bugs:
if you turn a l1 v factory 180 degrees then build a contruction V, it finishes facing the wrong direction, and is to big to get out. IT GETS STUCK. I always thought the const V model was always a bit huge. could be make it like 75% of the size? its like 2x the size of its kbot equivalent

edit: http://p15111940.pureserver.info/xta_v8/ when will this be updated? the core cans stats are out of date...
pintle

Post by pintle »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:I dont like the d-gun afterglow at all... I been playing with it.. It just dosnt look right.

I feel the same.

Could we maybe concentrate on fixing sea transports, and if the consensus supports it, stumpy/raider buffing, before implementing new visuals?

Its not that those effects dont look (super) cool, its more that gameplay>graphics.

If nothing else could we get a quick fix where sea transports have got some health please

Return to “Game Development”