XTA Development discussion - Page 4

XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Aside from the spelling, very nice loadscreen.
FoeOfTheBee

XTA Rant

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

re: omitting a version number - this means that you wouldn't know if you have the right mod until getting into a game and not getting sync. This is, I think, misguided. And since when have version numbers been unprofessional? What about not knowing what version a file is less professional than not having a clue what version the file is?

Anyway, the current team started updating XTA on August 8th.
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewt ... 77&start=0

It has taken this long to update XTA this much, and now there is talk of a recall and yet more waiting when version 7 is broken with the current version of Spring. (i.e, Annihilators and Doomsday Devices don't auto fire.)

It as absolutely ridiculous to take this long on a balance release. It is ridiculous not to have a version of XTA quickly released that works properly with the latest version of Spring when it would only involve changing one fbi value in a few fbi files.

Someone with more time and modding experience should be in charge of XTA. Not a team or a committee, rather someone who can ask for help, use other's help and suggestions, but make the decisions quickly, without getting committee approval.
Last edited by FoeOfTheBee on 27 Oct 2006, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

It's all fixed and done and such. Myg's first post has teh final link.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yhe, I'm dyslexic... so spelling ain't my strong point! Obviosly it don't matter untill the real thing though.

Can we have a unnaimose verdic on what logo to use? Is there anyone that can make an executive desision or will it have to go to the masses? Also, on taking the whole side.... yhe I'll see what it looks like. I may jsut do a semi trans Box and no bourder insted I think...

aGorm
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

I'm no CEO but if were the Knox boys I'd go for the second logo with the style (color and shading) of the last one. Good going on the loadscreens though, but can you make the text column a bit less wide? And also make sure it's readable at 640x480.

And I have to agree partly with Foe: there should at least have been an interim release (7.1 or so) that e.g. only fixes the broken anni's and doomsdays (and possibly adds unit icons ;). Because it's been over 3 weeks of 0.73b1 with broken gameplay.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Agorm I think that loading screen was own. much more proffesional looking than the old ones or the aa ones! Someone should open a seperate topics for people to post ideas for loading screen tips on... we should try to have as many loading screens as possible, as Its more helpful and means less repetition of loading screens which i hate.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

The filename now is XTAPE.sd7... Is that how it's going to stay? Can I rename it to XTA_v8.sd7 locally without problems?

I'd like to try it, but not yet replace v7...
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

Apparently it has to be XTAPE.sd7 for AF's AI to work properly. Ill ask him about it. I would prefer XTA_V8.0/8.1 for updates but we must comply with the code AF has set, or the noobs will have problems self tascabating.

+ WOW very nice stuff there aGorm, dead impressed! I like the boarder, its all very futuristic in its own crisp way.

(If u want to add a slight smoky effect for it im ya man, i got eyecandy4000 filters on my photoshop. But then again its simplicity and smooth shading that is its beauty is it not. And for god sakes peeps its just a suggestion, leave the spelling out of it for now!)

(lord knows i made plenty hahaha)

The boarder is nice, i say keep it.And the font it bold enough to be seen in low rez im sure.

But could you try to make a veriant of the boarder in a more bulky chunky metal feel like OTA ? (Higher rez textures of cource lmao)

Just would be nice to see and compair with. Currantly as the logo and page format you offer is better than my own by far, and i would be happy to replace my ones!

Also; anny chance of getting a radial blur on say an action scean, like when d-gunning a commy. Or maybe when being peewee spamed sending in a single roach to blow em up sky high!I thought about it the other day coz i rememberd the AA laod screens.

(YES i acctually tryed it once or twise b4 i sold my sole to KNOX)

On a crappy note i got a family wedding to go to on SAT so the updates maybe delaid a bit till mid week or something. But this meens aGorm has more time to work on the loading screens!

Bottom right logo 4tw! 8)
colorblind
Spring Developer

Post by colorblind »

[KnoX]ElementalGizmo wrote:Apparently it has to be XTAPE.sd7 for AF's AI to work properly.
I don't think that's the case, and even if it were, you don't really have to reckon with his demands. The AI has to support the mod, and not the other way around.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

I don't think it has to be named XTAPE, but some tag in some file in it has to be XTAPE for NTai to function correctly.

AF would probably know more...
Last edited by Lindir The Green on 27 Oct 2006, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Well, I'm out at a mates all weekend, but on a plus I have monday off and so I'll do some more work then. I'll also get together some realy sweet ass screenshots.

On numbers, whilst loads of load screens is nice, I suggest not to many because each one ups the file size. Perhaps 10 in total would be good? I'll find a sweet spot on teh compression to to save space.

Also, I think teh tips should be written out by the best player/best players. If someone compiles a list then I can go make a sutible screeny for each one.

aGorm
pintle

Post by pintle »

I'm not at home this weekend and dont have time to post properly, if it's not done when i get back i will start a thread in mods on load tips, and hassle the #xta regulars to post.
AWESOME work on the loadscreen agorm, ty very much. I think my fave is the 2nd bottom logo, but i like em all tbh, bottom one has a nice continuity from the previously logo, so that too could be good. I also think definitely red for the logo, again for conituity.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Its the tag not the archive name.

NTai loads based on the tag

if the tag doesnt exist it defaults to the archive name

if that fails it laods the crappy default.

However that tag serves a purpose, its why the same data can be used for all versions of AA and XTA and EE regardless of version, yet AAI needs profiles renaming for new versions......
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

[MOD]
{
Name=XTA v8;
Description=XTA Version 8;
URL=http://www.clan-sy.com/;
ModType=1;
NumDependencies=3;
Depend0=springcontent.sdz;
Depend1=otacontent.sdz;
Depend2=tatextures.sdz;

[NTAI]
{
tdfpath=XTAPE;
}
}
So... this general tag you are talking about is tdfpath in the [NTAI] subsection?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

much more proffesional looking than the old ones or the aa ones!
AA has one only one loading screen, and it owns your ass up one side and down the other. *glare*
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Bit random - can anyone build a spell checker into the forum? because reading the last 2 pages was extremely painful.
Some of the worst spelling Ive ever seen, not that I'm one to talk, mines not the greatest but holy crap some of the posts in last few pages are horrific lol :lol:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

yes, NTai loads data from /datapath/tdfpath/ where tdfpath is either that tag, the archive name, or 'default'
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Soz, but my speeling fluctuates... Sometimes I can spell alright. Soz people. :(

aGorm
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

i shair your frustraition aGorm :oops:
pintle

Post by pintle »

lol @ caydr...
i think there is a spellcheck plug in for firefox guys.

Return to “Game Development”