XTA Development discussion - Page 13

XTA Development discussion

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Better then v7?

Poll ended at 08 Nov 2006, 03:04

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 28

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

stumpies/raiders are a bit rubbish also. would a 100 range boost be out of place?
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

There is a slight boost in range for them in the next vertion. Which i have released ahead of yeha's update. Been about 4 days now i think ? meh, the links are below and also in the #XTA channel

:shock: :shock: XTA! v8.1 is out! :shock: :shock: http://www.savefile.com/files/282636

changelog: http://ipxserver.dyndns.org/friends/gizmo/ChangeLog.txt

Unit list: http://p15111940.pureserver.info/xta_v8/

ladder: http://spring.nfshost.com/ladder/rankings.php

Mostly what you all are going to find in this vertion, can's will be used more often and the way they should. D-Gun FX obviously, mey experiace a few com coms next few days just with peeps going d-gun frenzy. There is a tiny boost the range of the lvl1 arty units, this may increase/decrease pending on the feedback i get from this vertion.

I am also planning on doing a tiny update after a few days just to do 3 things.

1) use new core silo model

2) use nuke fx from nanoblobs

3) increase bombers attack radius (splash damadge)

(( 4) if im luck the new cor com model)

So realy it will be just an eyecandy update. I would of used all of the previouse if i had more time and nano was out when it was stated :(

Good things come to those who w8 i guess.

Giz

P.S
@ aGorm U know where to send the pics dude :!:
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Ill poke Chojin till he gets the unit list web page updated. My second priority other than blasting BigBoss to bits with the new d-gun :lol:
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

I mirrored the final version, since savefile.com is so unbelievable slow from my location (5kb/s), here:
http://ipxserver.dyndns.org/games/spring/mods/XTAPE.sd7

Some people seem to have problems resolving hosts with dyndns.org domain, so here is a direct link:
http://80.190.246.78/games/spring/mods/XTAPE.sd7

Going to recreate the unit guide now :-)

EDIT:
Unit guide is ready and can be found here:
http://p15111940.pureserver.info/xta_v8.1/

EDIT:
To use AAI with this version, there a few things to do:
- download the file XTAPE.cfg and place it in ai/aai/cfg/mod/
- delete the file ai/aai/learn/mod/XTAPE.dat
- delete the file ai/aai/log/BuildTable_XTAPE.txt
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the minelayer models are way too big and they look really clunky.
the can looks better, time will tell if its right.
not sure how much a 30 range boost is going to de-rubbish the l1 battle tanks.

edit: the flea looks too cheap for its ultra raiding power.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

the filename of 8.1 should be something other than XTAPE.sd7 - maybe xta-8-1.sd7?

That way it won't overwrite the older version.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

+1 on the minelayers being a little to big... they should still fit in the fac as they rotate you know... :-)

And that DGUN... Nice.... but can you make it maybe a little shorter on the old after glow??I think 10 seconds is a bit overkill... :-) maybe 3?

aGorm
(PS, wow those new load screens look nice... :wink: )
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Agorm wins the "KING OF ARTWORK" award.
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

When the next spring version is released with the new XTA, let's have an organized effort to host a lot of XTA games for the first 72 hours, so that we can expand the XTA player base.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

72 hours.. thats alot of coffee..
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Foe, Myg wanted the filename to be the same to specificly overwrite the old version... My request on that was denied ;-)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the minelayers should be closer in size and speed to the AA minelayers.. thats one spot where AA got it right. smaller and nippy for early mid field mines. who does XTA models?
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Chojin wrote:Foe, Myg wanted the filename to be the same to specificly overwrite the old version... My request on that was denied ;-)
People still might want to join a version 8 game. Best let players decide when to delete old mods. People will switch to 8.1 anyway, none of the changes seem too controversial.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

If you want to have the old v8 (as i also keep) just stick it into a subfolder. We all know u cant have to files under the same name, so bung it into a sub folder. Just make the folder itself relavant to the file.

This is the dir i have for xtaids

F:\Games\TASpring\mods\Noruas (inside Noruas folder goes the xtaids87 & combattle.sd7)

Having lots of mods in one big folder is messy, and poorly efficiant if your a dev or just curouse.

Just make an XTA_V8 folder n put the xtape in there, np :!:

Personally ide prefer it if you would PM the hoast of the battle room in old v8 and pass on the link to v8.1 Spreading XTA by `word of mouth` is the best thing. And realy wont take that long with Chojins UBER sever 8)

p.s

Ill have a look at the mine layer. (i love mines, if u afford the micro they rox!)
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

:?

You still did it.

You still decided to go through with both changing NTai's tdf path, which was designed to stay the same so that NTai would still be compatible.

And that's not the worst. You still went through with CHANGING ALL OF THE UNITNAMES WTF!?!

What was the point of that?

Because it definitely did NOT make anything easier for... anyone. First of all, it requires that everything to do with units in XTA (such as AI buildtrees...) need to be rewritten. But second, it's just a stupid change.

What do you think is easier to remember, and to type, and to spell correctly:

CORALAB, or core_advanced_kbot_lab --- Or whatever it is! It could be core_advanced_k-bot_lab, or core_kbot_lab_advanced, or core_adv_kbot_lab, or core_adv_k-bot_lab, or core_adv_k-bot_laboratory!

Before it was easy, because there was both a clear standard and because each unitname had a small number of letters. But now it isn't. It's a stupid pain. It would take much longer for anyone to memorize, both newbs and veterans who had memorized the previous system, because all the unitnames are so long and without a clear standard.

So now I have to go through the very very long and complex NTai XTA buildtree, and change every single unitname from the old simple easy standard to the current messed up complicated standard. And the minimum any unitname appears is once; most of them appear more than that in the total of almost 60 seperate text files. Which will be a huge pain that I might or might not complete in a month. And all the time I will be spending on it is time that I would have been spending on improving the xta buildtree. Which, by the way, worked really well in v8.0

Wtf xta team... Wtf. :roll: :?
Did I mention how much of a pain the new standard is?

Time to switch to an EE buildtree...
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

Lindir The Green wrote::?

You still did it.

You still decided to go through with both changing NTai's tdf path, which was designed to stay the same so that NTai would still be compatible.

And that's not the worst. You still went through with CHANGING ALL OF THE UNITNAMES WTF!?!
This is pretty easy to undo - might be a good idea to reverse it, a lot of people are used to the old fbi names.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

.give 1 corcan no longer spawns a can. WTF is going on?
Myg

Post by Myg »

the fbi file has changed to:

"core_the_can.fbi"

so:

.give 1 core_the_can
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

why would this be done? its horrible! and now AAI dosnt work either. in short: new xta = no ai and no spawn names i remember :(
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

So someone change it back!

Return to “Game Development”